Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle

Cooler Weather & Sleeping Bags

Its finally getting too cold for my sleeping bag even as a peapod. It is a cheap one I got at a grand opening of a sporting goods store for $20 and supposedly rated for 0* but I am starting to feel the chill even in the upper 40*s. I know the rating is not for comfort so I don't blame the bag. I have a warmer bag that I've slept on the ground cozy in sub freezing temps, but it is heavier and larger and difficult to cram into my pack.

I can't afford a new expensive down bag right now but I do have a few fleece blankets and am thinking about using one as a liner in my sleeping bag.

1. How effective would it be at bringing the comfort level temperature of a sleeping bag down?
    2. Would It be better to leave it as a blanket or to fold it and sew it like bag?
    3. Would it be better wrapped around the hammock (peapod) or just around me inside the hammock?

Images
    Well, since none of us has either your sleeping bag or your fleece blankets, it will be difficult to give a succinct response.

Here is something to think about take your "few" fleece blankets and your O-degree bag and weigh it all together, then stuff all of that into the same stuff sack that your sub-zero bag came with. That should give you a quick and concrete comparison with regards to bulk and weight.

One option you did not mention would be to use the two or three fleece blankets folded lengthwise and laid one upon another in the hammock. This will be your bottom insulation, and then use your 0-degree bag as a comforter on top.

Give us a shout if that works out for you., otherwise I would not know how to respond, not knowing the synthetic insulation, or the fleece material makeup or the weight and thickness of the blankets.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I agree, it is tough to say how it will work without seeing the specific gear you have. Can we assume you are not using any additional bottom insulation at this point? Just the sleeping bag as a peapod? I see you are in N. Utah and, although it can vary a bit from place to place, I would think any bag rated to 0* should still work in the temps. we've been having as long as you have proper under insulation. You might be better served using a pad with the bag you have. Again, all this is assuming you are not using bottom insulation already. Best of luck, and welcome to the forums from a fellow Utah hanger.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    As cheap goes ...use a pad of some sorts and your sleeping bag as a top quilt... that should work for now (the SB as a UQ/TQ all in one, not going to work as temps drop...either your compressing insulation or leaving too much air space which = cold)
    And save save save for a down UQ to start as soon as possible...life in the Hammy only gets better from there
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    A real UQ is out of the cards right now. I can't spend much more than $5 more on setup stuff this year (wife is too keen on the scent at the moment), so my options are limited:For car camping I can use the sub-freezing bag no problem; for backpacking I'm limited to upper 40*s. I'm going to try the fleece blanket sewn as a liner inside the hammock with me and see how that performs. I could possibly add a space blanket of sorts between the hammock and sleeping bag as well or instead of the fleece.

I'm not using any other bottom insulation than the sleeping bag. I have tried the sleeping bag with a pad under it a few times, but found using just the sleeping bag as a peapod was simpler, and much warmer (eliminates all insulation compression), and it removes the pad and its weight out of my pack completely. Also trying to get in and out and stay on the pad was a twisting shifting nightmare (It almost had me write off hammocking all together).

Too much airspace below the hammock is probably the culprit. If I reach around under the hammock there's about 2"-3" of gap where the hammock is narrowest, while the bag just touches the hammock in the middle where its widest. Actually the more I think about it it was my shoulders that got the most chill; I had a jacket zipped over the foot of my hammock and sleeping bag, like a sock, to cover the gap where the hammock passes through the zipper, so the only air gap would've been under my head and shoulders.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    If you have an air gap under you between the hammock and the bag, partially fill a light trash bag with air and throw it under there.
    http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammock1.htm

Eventually you will have to choose among weight, bulk and bank. You can't have all three.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    If you have an air gap under you between the hammock and the bag, partially fill a light trash bag with air and throw it under there.
    What's the difference between a bag of air and the "free" air already there?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jsorensen View Post
    What's the difference between a bag of air and the "free" air already there?
    The air trapped in the bag when you put it there at night is the same air you'll empty in the morning. The air in an air gap is replaced with the air from outside of your air gap. In other words you've reduced convective heat loss.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Eventually you will have to choose among weight, bulk and bank. You can't have all three.
    But if you could have all three what size would they compress down to?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    But if you could have all three what size would they compress down to?
    The less weigh and bulk allows the bank to compress much more easily.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast