So i've caught myself eyeing UQ's lately only to be reminded how expensive and heavy they can be which is important the a lightweight backpacker like myself. Not to mention potentially dangerous if/when caught in a situation where i wouldn't be able to hang my hammock as an UQ would be pretty much useless if I had to go to the ground. Anyways, i'm very stubborn and do NOT want to give up on pads and potentially making them easier to use with a hammock. My idea is to go buy some power stretch mesh fabric(similar to what's used on the stretch pockets of backpacks etc..) and make a proper, custom formed pad sleeve.

For a little bit of history i have been using pads for a few years now and have never found them to be inadequate for keeping my backside warm, even down into the 20's and with the 1/8" gossamer gear pad. (i think theres alot of misunderstanding on the differences between CCF and air pads, btw....i'm afraid many people think an air pad, as thick as it may be, should insulate better than anything thinner). The only trouble i have had is of course the pad shifting situation and making sure i'm perfectly centered on the 20" wide pads. Having a DL hammock has helped with movement but still allows some shifting and more problematic, buckling in the pad. DL hammocks are just too generic..... as in 1 big ol sleeve is there for a smaller footprint pad to just shift and float around. Enough rambling...., my aim is to get some stretch fabric to make a more custom, formable pad sleeve. My thought is the stretch will allow the pad to mold to my body just enough without allowing it to leave air gaps and/or buckling. I'm also thinking that the sweet spot for width is somewhere in the 24-26" range and I will be looking at around 48-54" in length, to start.

Hoping I can get some insight from anyone that has already tried this and any thoughts you may just have about the idea ?