Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Manajamba
    Suspension
    Webbing

Looking for a place to go LEGAL stealth camping…

Hey guys. I'm in Milwaukee Wisconsin, and I'm looking for a place to go stealth hanging legally. I know KMNU has the shelters, but I've been there and done that. Looking for ideas of where to go within about 5 hours. I was thinking of NNF, but wasn't sure. Thoughts, ideas, comments??

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    It's at about the end of your trip limit but anywhere up north here. All the national forests up here allow you to back country camp anywhere you want as long as you follow the basic rules. I "stealth" camp in the Chequamegon NF quite a lot though I am still using the North Country Trail. You can also "stealth" camp in the porcupine mountains state forest or Sylvania Wilderness area. The Nicolet would be the closest NF option but I find its more of a playground for campers with Toys but if you're not attached to trails there's many places to just disappear into the woods. I've often off trail camped in the Jones Spring area but you can run into a lot of day hikers.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 / Vertex
    Tarp
    Superfly/Vertex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Dispersed camping in Sylvania is only allowed at designated campsites, so you would have to be very stealthy its a beautiful area though. After sept 30th none of the remote campsites are reservable. The NNF would be a good place and within 5 hours.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by massie17 View Post
    Dispersed camping in Sylvania is only allowed at designated campsites, so you would have to be very stealthy its a beautiful area though. After sept 30th none of the remote campsites are reservable. The NNF would be a good place and within 5 hours.
    Oops my bad on that one. I should have double checked the regulations. I guess I won't be hanging next to the water on Loon Lake anymore. I generally go before or after the hordes and self permit.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Manajamba
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I guess it's not really stealth camping I'm looking at. Just something that's first come first serve I guess. Nothing I have to reserve. Walk until I'm tired or find a pretty spot and hang.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Manajamba
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Also I don't care if there are trails. That's why I bought a GPS. And speaking of that, anyone have any GPS routes for a good hike in the suggested areas?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 / Vertex
    Tarp
    Superfly/Vertex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Im going there in a couple weeks, i would rather be able to make a camp wherever you find suitable like the remote pass only areas in the BWCA but i am sure they are worried about people who dont get the concept of leave no trace.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Manajamba
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Yeah, I'm sure they are. Im looking at going the 18th of September, and coming back on the 19th.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    I second the Chequamegon-Nicolet. I did a backpacking 5-dayer up there this Spring. Here is the trip planning thread: Northern WI Fish & Hang. The last post (#85) has a link to my trip report. Pick up a National Park sticker and some brochures then you're pretty much ready to go.

Camp whereever you want for free, or camp at an established site for a few bucks. There is quite a lot of underbrush so finding a spot can be a lil tricky. Definitely keep a sharp eye out for widowmakers. Sometimes the designated sites can be worth the cash.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinnon79 View Post
    Also I don't care if there are trails.
    You will! In dense forest with thick underbrush you'd be very lucky with a heroic effort to average 1/2 mph. Sometimes that is fun... most times, not so much. A long time ago I used to scoff at trails. The older I get, the more I'm starting to appreciate 'em.

That's why I bought a GPS.
    Strongly recommend bringing a good compass and topos also. They never run out of batteries!

Personally, never used a GPS. Compass and topos have got me through just fine for thirty years. C-N, BWCA, etc.
    (insert pithy quote here)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast