Thread: SHT Newbie

SHT Newbie

Hi I'm new to this site and new to hanging. I am planning a trip for aug 25-28 on the SHT. We are looking for a place that is intermediate hiking yet has some good views. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    My favorite sections of that trail are Section 13, bean and bear lake, and the drainpipe. You could leave your car at CR 5 and take the Superior Shuttle to Finland parking area and walk south. You will hit Section 13 about 7 miles in with great camping and amazing views. Next will be the section heading to tettegouche state park. you will go by Picnic rock, Sawmill dome, Raven lake, Wolf Lake and the drainpipe. I would recommend against camping at the state park as it is pretty pricey. keep heading south to one of my absolute favorite places on the trail, Bean and Bear lake overlook. this will put you back to your car parked on CR5 so you dont have to make it there by an exact time for the shuttle. I highly recommend the Superior Hiking Shuttle, 218-834-5511. Bob is a great guy and has always been very timely when picking us up. Have a great trip, its a beautiful trail!

Thanks for the advice. How many miles would that be total and would there be enough places to hang for 3 night?

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cbemmels View Post
    Thanks for the advice. How many miles would that be total and would there be enough places to hang for 3 night?
    Finland rec to CR6 - 7.6 miles
    CR6 to HWY 1 - 6.8 miles
    HWY 1 to HWY 5 (Silver Bay) - 11.1 Miles.

There is great hammock camping at Section 13 for the 1st night, the second night could be at raven lake, and the third night at bear lake campsite. this will leave only a short hike to the car on the last day. We have only found a couple of sites that were not hammock friendly (due to all the trees being old rotten birch) and those were further north.

Here is a link to the map page from the SHTA

http://shta.org/Trail/TrailMaps/index.php

if you have any more questions feel free to ask. I absolutely love that trail!

Thanks a lot I appreciate the advice. That sounds like a good route and about the miles we are looking to do.

eviscerate3 what a wonderful suggestion of trail! We just got back and we could not of had a better time. It was challenging yet oh so rewarding. Thank you so much for helping me with my new addiction.

• + New Posts