Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Hangnyak, cool set up. where was that camp? looks like my back yard, I didn't think there was any pine forest left in your neck of the woods.

I don't hike with my dog but since the scariest time in the woods thread I think I will start. I have considered it before but he is a big boy, around 100 pounds in the summer and probably up around 120 during the winter. he is a Great Pyrenees so the florida summers melt him and he eats far less than in winter even though they don't eat as much as people would think by looking at their size. my question here and I hope someone can steer me right, is where in the world can you get a set of saddle bags for a dog that size that aren't in the hundred dollar range? I was thinking of modifying a pair of saddle bags from my horse gear but they are pretty heavy. if I went DIY I think I would have to sew by hand because I don't think my wifes machine would handle the weight of fabric that saddle bags are made of. I also thought about a dog cart but then I would have to be selective with terrain and I don't want that restriction. are there good options I am missing or am I going to have to take a big gulp and suck it up and plop down the money.

creek.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpalm2x View Post
    I wrote a long post and included pictures and everything from TAPATALK but it would not let me see what I was writing and eventually lost the post.

We got to the campground a little later than we wanted. We got my wife's hammock and the kids hammocks (bunked) set up up and then a rain storm snuck up on us.

Here is a picture of the dog carrying a piece of firewood someone had left in the site. Attachment 115685

She enjoyed being outside with us. I am not sure how she would have done when the owl basically two sites over started hooting only to be answered by another aways off. She seemed very protective and would bark defensively (rare for her) when people walked by. She slept well both nights so she must have been a little keyed up.
    Dogs key off of us so if we act calm, they'll realize it's no big deal. That barking sounds like normal nervousness in new circumstances. She'll get used to it.

Where are the fall temps?
    They arrived hereabouts today. Hopefully we have enough cool weather to share with the rest of the country. Otherwise y'all are on yer own!!

Thanks for the trip report, been hoping for the best for y'all.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    try to guy out the tarp to trees so that she can go under the guy outs. Or I just shorten her leash, so that she can't tangle in the guy lines.
    Good tip, didn't think about that last time and paid the price. Will have to try this next time.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I took a shot at a checklist for taking the dog. Anything else you experienced folks can think of? I expect we will try a short/flat overnighter soon.

Crate (car)
    Leash - short and retractable
    Collar
    Bowl - water/food (probably Tupperware for now)
    Food
    Small towel (to dry)
    Small throw blanket for hammock
    Extra cordage/carabineer
    Clip nails
    Treats/bone (we are in the chewing phase)
    Dog pack (future)

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I put a kids glow stick bracelet on her collar at night, just in case she gets loose. Beagles have a hard time ignoring their nose, and the headlamp only shines so far. I keep looking for a simple solar LED solution.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Dutch Poly D
    Tarp
    WallyWorld DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Whatever it takes
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks, TallPaul. Been wondering about what our pup's gunna need when he gets old enough. Maybe that could be another thread, "What's in my dogs pack". Don't think I've seen that before!

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I took a shot at a checklist for taking the dog. Anything else you experienced folks can think of? I expect we will try a short/flat overnighter soon.

Crate (car)
    Leash - short and retractable
    Collar
    Bowl - water/food (probably Tupperware for now)
    Food
    Small towel (to dry)
    Small throw blanket for hammock
    Extra cordage/carabineer
    Clip nails
    Treats/bone (we are in the chewing phase)
    Dog pack (future)
    This doesn't necessarily have to go in the dog pack but at least make sure you have some proper first aid equipment for your dog in your kit as well. Mostly I make sure my first aid kit has things that I could use on both me and/or my dog if necessary.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    This doesn't necessarily have to go in the dog pack but at least make sure you have some proper first aid equipment for your dog in your kit as well. Mostly I make sure my first aid kit has things that I could use on both me and/or my dog if necessary.
    Good suggestion. I'll add that to my list.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    ...make sure you have some proper first aid equipment for your dog in your kit..
    That is the main deficiency I noted as well. Styptic powder (stops bleeding), gauze, vet wrap and duct tape are what I use the most.

Hemostats are good for slivers and porcupine quills. Actually for porkies I use a Leatherman, then fishing hemostats (sold as hook removers. They are stronger and longer than most hemostats.), then regular hemostats for the hard to reach places like up the dog's nose, in between teeth or toes, under the tongue, etc. Don't waste time as they only dig deeper. Don't bother cutting the quills. Just yank all you can find and keep going over the dog with your hands for weeks afterwards.

Skunk wash is good to have on hand as well. 1qt bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide, 1lb box of Baking Soda, 2-3 TBSP Dish Soap and a bucket to mix it in. I also throw in a couple cups of minty mouthwash, can't hurt! Only mix in an open container (foams up) and only mix right before you use it. Rub into the fur and let sit for five minutes or so. Rinse thoroughly and repeat. Depending on how bad they were hit, you will need to lather them up 2-5 times. Do not do this on grass you like as it will turn it brown for a while. While this takes almost all of the stink away very effectively, quickly, easily and cheaply, each time they get wet for the next couple of weeks you will still get a hint of skunk.

For toenails on dogs sleeping in the hammock, I have found that an emery board or the diamond file on a Leatherman Wave work well for rounding and smoothing. I always have at least a light blanket in the hammock and try to keep the dog on it.

As with all things in life, being prepared makes things go more smoothly and less stressfully.

Happy Trails!!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by old creek View Post
    Hangnyak, cool set up. where was that camp? looks like my back yard, I didn't think there was any pine forest left in your neck of the woods.

I don't hike with my dog but since the scariest time in the woods thread I think I will start. I have considered it before but he is a big boy, around 100 pounds in the summer and probably up around 120 during the winter. he is a Great Pyrenees so the florida summers melt him and he eats far less than in winter even though they don't eat as much as people would think by looking at their size. my question here and I hope someone can steer me right, is where in the world can you get a set of saddle bags for a dog that size that aren't in the hundred dollar range? I was thinking of modifying a pair of saddle bags from my horse gear but they are pretty heavy. if I went DIY I think I would have to sew by hand because I don't think my wifes machine would handle the weight of fabric that saddle bags are made of. I also thought about a dog cart but then I would have to be selective with terrain and I don't want that restriction. are there good options I am missing or am I going to have to take a big gulp and suck it up and plop down the money.

creek.
    Packs for dogs cheap:

Requires some sewing but an over the horn saddle bag (found at any Tractor Supply Store) can have snaps added to clip to the harness of your choice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast