Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    2Ply's photo shows a good setup. I use a tarp big enough that the back wall can be staked down to the ground so my dog won't tangle around those guy lines, and the porch lines get tied to a zing-it clothesline that's parallel with the hammock and about 4 to 6 feet from the edge of the tarp so the dog can run around under them and not tangle. I use a ridgeline below my tarp, so I can either clip the leash to it or to one of the hammock trees. In the local wilderness areas where we don't have people camping near us, of course, she can run loose. She always sleeps under the hammock, but if she gets cold, she climbs in. I may make her a hammock this winter. Our system has evolved as we both learn what she needs and what she can contribute to our hikes. You and your dog will likely follow a similar process of comparing learning curves. Good luck.

To add to WV's post, not only will you and the dog have learning curves, I have found that my dog changes from one day to the next. Some nights (tends to be colder nights) she sleeps in the hammock with me (50 lb retriever mix), some nights she hops in for just a few hours, some nights she is on the section of foam pad I put beneath the hammock, some nights she eschews that for the ground, some nights she is inside the fronkey bugnet on the pad or ground, some nights she is outside it. It's really hard to say. I can't give you great advice because how my dog behaves changes - I assume based on her mood, presumed threat levels, and temperature. I have given up on one system and just loop her leash around my wrist (she is not a puller, so I am not worried about her seeing something and pulling me out of my hammock; plus she became hopelessly tangled around tarp lines with the 'leash around the ridgeline/treeline" strategy) and have the options I described above available for her to choose.
    I wouldn't have it any other way though!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling
    We have a 20ft section of 6mm climbing rope with a loop and carabiner on each end. That is her leash during the day and her tie up at camp. I just loop it around one of my trees and she can move in about a 20ft circle. So far she hasn't gotten all tangled up. She sleeps in an Alcott pup tent that I don't zip up. She can come and go as she pleases throughout the night. best part is I make her carry all her own stuff in her own pack!

~HEH

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    There are several threads on this, it seems to pop up every couple of months but I always enjoy reading the responses and making improvements to how I hammock camp with my dog. I'm with the OP on this, I don't allow my dog in the hammock with me, although he would love nothing more. The video below that Fronkey put out has some good info...

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

thanks everyone so far

Quote Originally Posted by Beckyinma View Post
    Ours sleeps in her crate below my hammock when we car camp. When we backpack, she has a little fleece bag with a pillow bottom, and a fleece jacket and is leashed to the tree next to me. Occasionally she'll come into the hammock with me, but she's 25# so doesn't take a bunch of space. If we're backpacking, she has a Ruffwear pack and carries her own stuff. Attachment 114857 this was before we were hammock campers and she would sleep in my daughter's tent.
    I would love to get her to do some hiking. she has long legs but not a lot of motivation for walks. SHe flops down all the time. We are working that with her. I think she would stay close to us while car camping but she loves to chase bugs and I am afraid if rabbits or squirrels came along she might be off to the races. I don't really want to carry her crate with us, even if we are car camping. I was just trying to figure out some nuisances I might have missed just trying to think it through.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Last year we got a rescue Akita that I have taken out on the trail a couple times. For sleeping it depends on the dog. Ours does not like any sort of dog bed at home and on the trial is completely content to lay down wherever the mood suits her for the night. I have taken one of our 4 season leg pads for her but she just finds a spot in the dirt to curl up. I do take a long length of Dynaglide with loops spliced in both ends that I can rig as a line from tree to tree or just anchor to one tree. I have a carabiner on her leash all the time so that while hiking I can clip her to my pack or up to a tree if I need my hands free. Some dogs don't need to be secured all the time but Akita's are hunting dogs and she has a very strong drive to chase, one deer across the trail and she would run it down into the next state. Just on walks around the neighborhood she has pulled me down the street so I am cautious with her in the woods. Consider the breed and how they behave into account for how you prep camp....training is huge in this but some breeds still have strong instincts.
    excellent point about breed she is a pretty laid back pup which is good for our family. she is coming out of the shelter puppy phases and seems to show more personality the last week or two. I think camping would be fun with her as long as we can work out the details.

I would love to teach her to run along as I mountain bike but that is another story/ forum haha.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Images
    I am amazed at how many of my other hobbies go so well with hammocks.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I'm also appreciating all the advice, pictures & videos. Very helpful.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I have not taken my new (to me) dog on an over-night. On the day trips and picnics we have done, he runs around and watches the kiddos and then plops down under the picnic tables.

At ~85 lbs and half Shepard half Lab, I have not tried having him crawl into a hammock yet. Dunno if I will ever try that.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Images
    I think it is really important to provide a large dog with insulation from the ground and shelter from above.
    Short haired dogs that don't handle cold weather as well might need a pullover sweater for sleeping.

I also keep them on a tether 24/7 in case of a wild animal visit.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Got my lab her own little tent.

RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan