Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Modified my walmart ozark trails sleeping bag.

Have had an Ozark Trails down 30* sleeping bags got at walmart for around $75.
    I removed the zipper, one of the cinch cords, and the hoodie thing. Then added 3.5ozs. 850 active dry goose down, plus used the down from the hood I removed. Now I have a nice warm fluffy top quilt for around $120. Do not know the temp rating as I am sure the 30* was way over rated. From the loft I think maybe a 20*. And it weighs 21.75 ozs. without the stuff sack which it will barely fit into due to the extra down. It was a pain removing the zippers and took a little planing cutting the hood off. I used fabric glue sparingly to hold everyhing in place for sewing. I did this outside and it looks like a goose exploded in the yard. I am pretty happy the way it turned out, cuz I need it in Oct. as both my daughters are going backpacking overnight with me. A first for them. THis ought to be interesting.

Hammock
    Dutch & DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    H. Anchors, Straps
    I just did the same thing but bought a down pillow for $40 that had 16 oz if 600 fp down. Just stuffed till I was satisfied and sewed it up. Left the hood for now though. I was also lucky enough to find my bag for $35 at Walmart.
    Formerly known as - SloGo

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SloGo View Post
    I just did the same thing but bought a down pillow for $40 that had 16 oz if 600 fp down. Just stuffed till I was satisfied and sewed it up. Left the hood for now though. I was also lucky enough to find my bag for $35 at Walmart.
    Thats a deal for $35. I can never find them in the stores around here. I had to order mine online.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I don't think they sell/make them anymore. That's pretty much why they were $35 for half a year or so. Greatest camping deal ever, even at full price.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliev View Post
    Have had an Ozark Trails down 30* sleeping bags got at walmart for around $75.
    I removed the zipper, one of the cinch cords, and the hoodie thing. Then added 3.5ozs. 850 active dry goose down, plus used the down from the hood I removed. Now I have a nice warm fluffy top quilt for around $120. Do not know the temp rating as I am sure the 30* was way over rated. From the loft I think maybe a 20*. And it weighs 21.75 ozs. without the stuff sack which it will barely fit into due to the extra down. It was a pain removing the zippers and took a little planing cutting the hood off. I used fabric glue sparingly to hold everyhing in place for sewing. I did this outside and it looks like a goose exploded in the yard. I am pretty happy the way it turned out, cuz I need it in Oct. as both my daughters are going backpacking overnight with me. A first for them. THis ought to be interesting.
    I did the exact same thing last year and I've been using it all this year with great success. I added 4 oz. of 850 plus the down from the hood and the weight is about the same as yours. I've slept quite comfortably in mine down to 25* paired with my 20* incubator. There wasn't any wind that night but I wasn't even slightly cold anywhere either. I'd certainly be comfortable down to 20* with that setup and even lower if I layered some clothing. It took a bit of work to make it but it is a heck of a deal price wise. I wish they still made them, is but another as a backup.

Hammock
    11' DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't go to Walmart much but I've kept my eyes out and still haven't seen any.

• + New Posts