DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook

Annoying Tarp Bubble

I finished my SilPoly Tarp a few weeks ago and also made some skins from the SilPoly. I have set it up a few times and when repacking the tarp I sometimes get a big bubble in the middle from the air tight tarp. I looked and see threads that talk about it happening but not how to fix it.

What do you do to avoid the annoying tarp bubble?

My skins are about 2 1/2" diameter on the ends and 4" diameter in the middle. I have 2 lengths that meet in the middle of my 11 1/2' tarp. My usual packing process is to roll my guylines up in the tarp and as small as possible to the CRL. I then sip over the skins. This is done one side at a time. I have found less of a bubble if I try to roll the second side starting in the middle but the material is so slippery to pack in the skins it will slip a little and allow room for the bubble.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    WBBB, Bonefish
    Tarp
    WBWP
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear stuff
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Not much you can do except squeeze out the air while you are rolling up the tarp. It helps to roll each side from the ends and squeeze the material as you pull the skin to the middle. You will always end up with some kind of bubble so keep squeezing or try to work a finger into the tarp so there is a place for the air to escape.
    So many trails, so little time...

A Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. An Optimist see the light at the end of the tunnel. The Realist sees the train. But the Engineer just sees 3 idiots standing on the tracks.
    Which one are you?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I'm guessing you're new to this .
    Its an issue we all have. Me, I use mesh snakeskins. I still get that bubble, but try to keep an opening to let it vent. I have tried rolling the tarp in on itself, squeezing, whatever. I now find that the best option, is to just not care, and let it vent as it can.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Stuff sack...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Stuff sack...
    +1
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I grab tarp in the middle and start rolling from there. I use one of the side pull out lines to keep it furled in the middle. I grab the middle and squeeze the air toward the end an then pull on the skin. Repeat for the other end. If I develop a bubble when pulling on the second end I just continue to milk it back toward the 1st end and out the tube. +1 for mesh making the whole process much easier.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by mab0852 View Post
    I grab tarp in the middle and start rolling from there. I use one of the side pull out lines to keep it furled in the middle. I grab the middle and squeeze the air toward the end an then pull on the skin. Repeat for the other end. If I develop a bubble when pulling on the second end I just continue to milk it back toward the 1st end and out the tube. +1 for mesh making the whole process much easier.
    Thanks, I will give this a try. I may have to also try a set of mesh skins.

Thanks for the recommendations of the stuff sack but it defeats the benefit of the skins and the reasons I want to use them. I do use a stuff sack to put the tarp in the skins inside.
    The question is, what have you tried to avoid the tarp bubble when using skins?
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

I recently made a 12' x 8' silpoly tarp and used the 10" x 12' trimmed piece for a snake skin, one piece about 11'8" after hemming, just start on one end and go to the other, don't have a problem at all with air, it just goes out the end, I then stuff it in a sack.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I recently made a 12' x 8' silpoly tarp and used the 10" x 12' trimmed piece for a snake skin, one piece about 11'8" after hemming, just start on one end and go to the other, don't have a problem at all with air, it just goes out the end, I then stuff it in a sack.
    BTW...this works much better than the 2-piece set I mad from no-see-um...much, much easier to use one piece so it doesn't bunch up in the midde.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I don't roll my tarp, just slide the skins over it... I've never had a bubble. I use noseeum skins.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast