WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman_atl View Post
    Multi larks head seems like a good way to go. Adding more turns is good too, but you can see how one of the outside turns walked onto the side of the buckle.

I hope that the webbing is just the wrong material, but can't find the description on dutchware.com. whatever it is, it's not going to work for me going forward.
    Always inspect your gear as you are hanging the hammock to insure one of the 'turns' is not on the side of the buckle as photographed and that the webbing is not folded or twisted as it passes through the buckle. I doubt that Dutch sent you nylon webbing by mistake, which would point to an error in setup and slippage rather than stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    ...I doubt she will remember to half hitch the cinch buckle/strap and hope this doesn't slip on her...
    The half hitch is not normally needed with cinch buckles (like it is with ring buckles).

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    My suggestion is to reach out to Dutch with your pictures and have him take a look.

Are you sure they are stretching and not slipping? I ask because I don't see a knot above them in your picture.
    You're probably right, I should send the pics to Dutch.

I'm pretty sure its stretching--the buckles are very good at biting the webbing and lock in tightly when everything is aligned. In the top pic you can see a half hitch over the buckle. In the second pic everything is apart to see what was going on.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I've wondered why the non-titanium cinch buckles do not come to a point on the hammock end like the titanium ones (or the Warbonnet buckles, for example) do. That would eliminate much of the twisting, and all of the slippage of the Amsteel that had been mentioned here. I'm guessing the original/actual purpose of the non-Ti cinch buckles is for strap-to-strap connections, rather than the strap-to-rope connections that we use them for with hammocks.

There's a big difference in types of webbing, I've had some that would stretch enough to put me on the ground and some with no appreciable stretch, there's a local flea market where I can get 50' of just about any webbing for $5 so I've tried several kinds.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    For the last couple year I have been using strapping material & buckles like yours from Dutch. I buy the webbing, cut it & the wife sews a loop in 1 end. I use the 7 wrap on my continous loop. I'm 260lb & never experienced excessive stretch. Never had slippage but after descending rings dropped me I tie a slippery hitch in my webbing every time.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hiker63 View Post
    Sorry to hear this. I use his cinch buckles and have never had an issue.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    I've wondered why the non-titanium cinch buckles do not come to a point on the hammock end like the titanium ones (or the Warbonnet buckles, for example) do. That would eliminate much of the twisting, and all of the slippage of the Amsteel that had been mentioned here. I'm guessing the original/actual purpose of the non-Ti cinch buckles is for strap-to-strap connections, rather than the strap-to-rope connections that we use them for with hammocks.
    Yup, you're right. I've seen a beautiful aluminum cinch buckle with a triangle that AHE carried a few years back but was told the manufacturer let the quality slip and they were no longer safe for hammocking. The good, early one look terrific but I understand they really were pretty heavy. I'd go with Dutch's ti if a cinch buckle is what you really want. They'll never twist and they're not that expensive!

I had a simaler problem recently now I check that every thing is strait before I sit down. I am considering returning to a pair of decent rings. Since I now do a half hitch anyway..... Nothing against Mr dutch its inherent in the design, most of you smart folks fix it with proper technique.

That cinch buckle (that mostly gets used with the Amsteel wrap) is NOT the Dutch piece of hardware, although he does sell them as an inexpensive alternative/option. I guess you get what you pay for and need to practice due diligence when using them.

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    The cinch buckle will slip around from its attachment point on the hammock as you move around in the hammock. I too have had the webbing slip on me with the cinch buckles. NOT DUTCH BUCKLES. What I found was I was using a VERY light gauge webbing, 150# test to be exact, because of the lighter gauge webbing the cinch buckle wasn't able to bite into the webbing as hard as needed. I still use the cinch buckle system with the light gauge webbing, I just make sure to always back up with a half hitch with a bight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast