Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images

CO > Lost Creek Wilderness > Goose Creek Trail Loop

My wife and I planned to backpack from August 12-16 in the Lost Creek Wilderness, doing a clockwise loop starting at the Goose Creek Trail Head, west along the Hankins Pass Trail to the Lake Park Trail, north up to the McCurdy Trail, and then to the Goose Creek Trail, and back south to the trail head. Five days is a leisurely pace for that loop - I'm sure Andrew Skurka could do it in one day - but we weren't out to set any records, and my wife sometimes has knee problems, and, as sea-level babies, we knew the altitude would get to us. As it happens, she did better than I did.

I made two mistakes that kept us from doing the loop, but we had fun anyway. Those with more experience, especially with this part of CO, will probably have a good chuckle at some of this, but here goes. Comments are welcome!

The first mistake was getting a very late start on Wednesday; long story, but it was unavoidable. In retrospect, I probably should have delayed the start until Thursday, but I didn't know what was in store.

The happy couple begin the journey!
    907.JPG

Perhaps this sign should read, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."
    913.jpg

The late start had one good aspect, in that it made us cautious. I learned quickly that "off trail" in the LCW usually means immediate and serious bushwhacking. We stopped after only two miles at the first reasonable hanging spot we found. We didn't want to stop that soon, but we weren't sure what choices we would have ahead, and we prefer to set up before the sun sets. As we learned, if we had continued, it would have been well after dark before another spot would have been found.

The first campsite
    920.jpg

The bad aspect of the late start was that it meant that we would reach the switchbacks on the Lake Park Trail during the hottest time of the afternoon.

Along the Hankins Pass Trail:
    926.jpg

You need more experience than I have to find a place to hang here:
    944.jpg

One of the dozen or so water crossings on the Hankins Pass Trail:
    947.jpg

The site of the second mistake. I had read somewhere that it was better to go north on the Lake Park Trail to join the McCurdy Trail further up, rather than continue west to where the Hankins Trail meets the McCurdy.
    960.jpg

I guess this is OK, but not if you expect Lake Park to have a lake; what it has is a swamp. (Actually, it's called "Lost Lake", which should have been a clue to me. OK, go head and laugh, but the next day we met another backpacker, originally from CO, who had expected to find water there as well.)

Along the Lake Park Trail:
    977.jpg

The swamp water was was a dark red, and remained so even after filtering. I know that the tannin in leaves will turn standing water brown - which is OK - but red, well... My wife would not go near it, and I was afraid that I was going to have to give her the little good water I had left, and drink the red stuff the next morning. Fortunately, nature would provide.

The second campsite - at 11,000 feet, according to GaiaGPS (a really awesome app I'm just learning how to use):
    1003.jpg
    (Gosh, my bald spot is getting huge!)

1004.jpg

It had been raining each afternoon, and that day I was able to trap a liter of water from the tarp! The Cloudburst in this tandem-hang configuration has trapped water in my backyard testing, and I have been trying to figure out how to stop it. I was oblivious to what was happening, but my wife noticed that water was building up between the tarp ridge line and the ridge line of one of the hammocks. (Later, I think she figured out how to keep water from pooling on the tarp, but, fortunately, I had not given her that problem, yet. )

The next morning we had to make a decision: continue north to the McCurdy Trail, where the map said there was water, or go back down to the Hankins Pass Trail, where we *knew* there was water. Discretion being the better part of valor, we went south.

Back along the Lake Park Trail:
    1042.jpg

We had decided that when we got back to the Hankins Pass Trail we would continue west until we reached the McCurdy Trail, and then go north. We stopped as soon as we found water, which happened to be at a great campsite, for the third night:
    1057.jpg

Looking up while on the McCurdy Trail:
    1075.jpg

The jog up and back down the Lake Park Trail meant that we didn't have time at that point to continue north on McCurdy to finish the loop. So we hiked back to the Hankins Pass Trail, and then went east back towards the trial head.

The fourth night's site:
    1124.jpg

This was the same site as the first night. We had decided to make Sunday a short day rather than cut the trip short by making Saturday a very long day (including the drive back to where we were staying).

On the hike back to the Goose Creek Trail Head:
    1161.jpg

OK, I will want to do this right next summer, but, still, I think, not so bad for our first extended backpack in CO.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Images
    Great picts. It is very hard to make a schedule and try to keep it. Everything always seems to take longer than estimated at altitude.

Red water that does sound scary I have no clue what that could be.
    I hope it wasn't mine tailing water that would have been very bad.
    Lots of heavy metals.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Excellent report! I was there just a couple days after you. My report is forthcoming.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Nice pics and trail report, looks like a wonderful area to explore. And worth going back so you can make the loop.

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    My son and I did the same loop you had planed. We were there August 16-18. It was also our first time hiking in any mountains and more difficult than I had anticipated. We're from Michigan and he got a little altitude sickness the first day but was fine after that. We ended up having a great time and it was a very beautiful area, especially for never having been out west before. I look forward to doing more hiking in the area.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Where along the loop did you set up camp? Do you have any picture? Thanks!
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    I've got some pics that I'll try to post tomorrow

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Some of my photos from our trip.

027.jpg033.jpg044.jpg038.jpg045.jpg047.jpg055.jpg059.jpg062.jpg066.jpg076.jpg079.jpg082.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Very nice! Did you take the Lake Park Trail, or continue west to the McCurdy? And was that campsite on the McCurdy north of the Lake Park Trail? Thanks!

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Yes we took the Lake Park Trail, the campsite was on the Lake Park Trail before it met McCurdy. The second night we camped closer to Lost Creek. We had planned to do a larger loop around the Brookside-McCurdy Trail to Wigwam Trail and then back to Goose Creek Trail but with the way he was feeling the first day we decided to cut it short. Still was a very nice hike though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast