Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY Bipod stand?

Just starting to look around at all the great projects here, and I am planning a stand to be used indoors this winter. I have seen the turtle, spurtle, etc stands so far described. I also like the look of the Hammeck stand which uses a bipod on each end instead of a tripod, and thus takes up less end space.

After looking at the spurtle stand, I am wondering if anyone has done a style similar to Hammeck's using those tarps.com fittings. You would have to cut some of the "pipe-through T" fittings so they sit close together and support the ridge pole. But it think it would be easy enough. Just wondering if anyone has done one like that?

Alternately, I do like the simple spurtle design...does anyone know how it fairs with the big fellas around 275lb? Does the single support pole per side handle the weight OK?

Thanks for the info and any links.
    Cheers.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I am around 275 (sometime plus - right now minus). I built a Spurtle. and have hung from it at least ten nights. It moves quite a bit head to foot but never enough to push over. I have staked my superfly under it every time - that probably gives some stability. If you leave the "feet" too short, it'll be easy to go over side to side - but - duh! So far I see no cracks or wear on the fittings - I look every time.

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling - UCR
    Yes, I have used the fittings from tarps.com. I will be posting pictures of it soon, I used the High peak with center pole. (I have both the end version and the middle version) and it worked great. the only issue there can be some horizontal sway when getting in or moving about. I used some old canopy poles (from a 10x20 carport type canopy tent, they are the same 1 5/8 as chainlink top rail) for the legs and the ridge. 2 for each leg and then 4 for the ridge.
    all fits in the trunk of the car, haven't yet found our duffle bag in storage for it yet.

Cool. I will be looking forward to some pics, as I am very shortly going to start on something myself, and would love to see your setup first. Thanks.

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling - UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
    Cool. I will be looking forward to some pics, as I am very shortly going to start on something myself, and would love to see your setup first. Thanks.
    Posted in DIY:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-(bipod-stand)

Nice job on that! I was looking at those fittings you mentioned and thought it seemed too wide of a splay, but now it makes sense that you just use the two closer ends and one is unused. I should be getting my fittings tomorrow and throwing together something this weekend as well. I am trying the "through pipe T fittings" so it will look similar to the hammeck stand, and it should be able to have the legs collapsed together and leaned up against the wall, since I will be using indoors in the winter. I will post up when mine is done as well. Thanks for sharing

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'm waiting on the postman to deliver some schedule 80 CPVC fittings. I'm planning to cut short sections of schedule 80 (or 120 if I can find it) tubing to make some very similar fittings to the hammeck. Rather than conduit I picked up a set of the mil-surplus camo netting poles. I'm working on my plan for preventing the legs from spreading (probably some amsteel tethers). I'll report back in a few weeks whether this was a great success or terrible failure.

I use a set of ends like a childs swing set. I made them from 1.25" steel tube. I use 1" aluminum conduit for the ridge pole ( 2 pieces, 6' long ) and 2"x2" wooden legs with the ends whittled down to fit the pipe ends. None of the pieces are over 6' long and fits into the bottom of my canoe. It works like a champ.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    I am around 275 (sometime plus - right now minus). I built a Spurtle. and have hung from it at least ten nights. It moves quite a bit head to foot but never enough to push over. I have staked my superfly under it every time - that probably gives some stability. If you leave the "feet" too short, it'll be easy to go over side to side - but - duh! So far I see no cracks or wear on the fittings - I look every time.
    i'm "only" 150lbs and have wondered how sturdy my spurtle stand is when it starts swaying. it's good to know that it holds up for you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I got the bits and pieces today and couldn't wait to put things together. Unfortunately I couldn't find any sch 120 pipe so there's a bit more slop in the fittings than I really wanted. No bother, I don't think it's going to matter.

The "brackets" are sch 80 CPVC Ts/Pipe and the poles are all the surplus military camo netting variety. I plan on adding some amsteel or other cordage leashes to prevent the legs spreading too far (if on a hard surface like a slab). The suspension for now is just dangling from the end of the ridgepole but I might do something like put a few wraps around the pole and brackets to keep everything in place. I don't want to modify any of the poles unless I totally have to. The top ridgepole is about 12' so it's just a big shorter than I would like. Adding my last pole section puts it out to almost 16, a much better length for my bridge hammock.

It's rock solid side to side but definitely has some wobble in line with the ridgeline. I don't think there's much I can do about that without significant modification to the brackets. I'm hoping to do a practice hang this weekend but I have a feeling this tropical storm is going to force me to have other plans.

20150828_150315.jpg20150828_151049.jpg20150828_150340.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast