Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps

I have committed a grave travesty...

I went to ground.

In a tent.

My back and hips are dying.

So my best friend and I planned a roughly twenty mile trip for Friday and Saturday. Due to storms in the area and our trying out a national forest to which we've never been, we decided to go to ground for our dogs sake. All three dogs are experienced backpackers but we were of the mind that four walls a roof might be easier on them. WE WERE WRONG. They were juniper than I've ever seen them and we were miserable. We've always just put them in with us if the ground was wet or it was chilly.

On the way home we tried to remember all the reasons we had for going to ground. We couldn't remember why it was such a grand idea. Lol. My poor chihuahua NEVER even goes to sleep on the floor in the house not does my chow.

Moral of the story, don't under estimate your ability to weather storms in your hammock. My first night ever was in a raging gully washer and we were drier and didn't want to kill each other upon waking.

Who else has had one of these experiences?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Any day in the woods is a good one, regardless of where you sleep.

Consider this another valuable learning experience.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Oh it was fantastic trip! Great photography, good camp food, and unplugged time but, my usual lack of self confidence managed to bite me as it occasionally does. I am confident in my tent abilities. And generally in my hammock. Still puzzled as to why I got so hung up on the storms this time. Took more time searching for a flat campsite in the rain than it would have slinging up my hammock. We both camp in hammocks but for some reason we got hung up on the forecast which just turned out to be some rain.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Newbies perspective:
    I've been considering hammocks for quite a while and with a lot of people on forums talking about how much more comfortable hammocks are I was getting keen on the idea.
    I bought a cheap Yukon hammock ($20 on special) and slept overnight in it, it wasn't perfect but better than any sleep I've had in a tent on an inflatable mattress.
    I've just spent the last couple of nights sleeping in a hammock with a good down (HG) UQ and the experience just keeps getting better.

Along the way I've read a bunch in several forums - bushcraftusa, advrider & hammockforums.
    It does occur to me that with the right gear hammocks are warmer to sleep in than tents - better in the cold.
    Also with a change in gear used hammocks are cooler to sleep in than tents - better in the heat.
    Being off the ground means that even when little rivers of water form you are above it - better in the wet.
    When the wind blows really hard surely it is better to be tied to trees than little stakes pushed in the ground - better in the wind.
    So hammocks are better in a bunch of different conditions, don't need flat clear ground and also I'm finding it more comfortable to sleep in them.
    Why would you choose to sleep on the ground once you have been enlightened to the benefits of hanging?

Even when there are no trees I'm going to still hang in a hammock!

I'll be taking that hammock stand with me to a motorcycle rally in 2 weeks, after sleeping in it for the last 2 nights in my back yard I'm convinced that it works well, I can even fit my Redverz tent (bedroom section removed from inside it) over the whole thing. I'll get a Supertarp and some adjustable tarp poles later to reduce what I have to carry.

Come on guys, lets all vow to avoid these silly mistakes and hang in hammocks every time it is possible!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I admire you stepping up and fessing up. You are forgiven.
    You can come out of your room now young lady.........
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    We all make mistakes.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    lol you guys are hilarious. first night on the ground in close to four years! Ouch! What's worse, I had to work last night (part time photographer) and man climbing around to get good shots stunk. Happy note though, the girl who was with me originally introduced me to hammocking and on the way home I pulled up this site and she was amazed. Had never heard of it or seen any of Shug's videos! How was that possible??

Kiwimark, that stand is awesome! Ok actually that whole setup is awesome!

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    She was a Shug virgin? I remember back when I was still a Shug virgin, and those were not good camping days

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Upon our arrival at home she received lots of links! I love her to death but last time we hung she asked what Record running over my Hammock was. Face palm. Lol I was like, "how is this the woman who converted me to the hammock cult?"

I of course had to set up full gear and show her a comfortable hang. Lol. Hammock, Sea To Summit poncho, and pea pod. She was hooked and happy to know she could stay warm and dry! Thanks for all you guys have taught me through lurking and my own posts!

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I don't mind sleeping on the ground, but I hate the plastic floor of a tent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast