Hammock
    Clark TX-150
    Tarp
    Custom Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Can you still put up the poles with a ridgeline?

Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    Not really a great story, just an experience i had while camping with some buddies a few years back. We were up at Bong State park in Wisconsin and the only site that was hammock friendly-ish had 2 trees that were about 20ft apart and i had a really hard time getting the tree straps up high enough to get a good lay in the hammock. I ended up tightening the suspension up so much, just to keep from hitting the ground once i got in that i could barely get the bug net closed. That was a very uncomfortable night in my Clark.

One of the best things about a ridgelined hammock is the you can tighten up the suspension as much as you like and it doesn't affect the lay of the hammock.

I always have the ridgeline with me and have only needed to use it one time, but i hardly ever put it on the hammock. IMO the Clark is so easy to set-up and i don't thing the angle of the suspension is as critical on it as it is on other gathered ends.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by thierict View Post
    Can you still put up the poles with a ridgeline?
    Yes i could, but i had the ridgeline going from 2 carabiners ties off of two continuous loops. They weren't right at the hammock body like it would be on a regular gathered end. So the ridgeline was running above the poles. But if you put the ridgeline right against the hammock you wouldn't be able to use the poles.

Hammock
    Clark TX-150
    Tarp
    Custom Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    Yes i could, but i had the ridgeline going from 2 carabiners ties off of two continuous loops. They weren't right at the hammock body like it would be on a regular gathered end. So the ridgeline was running above the poles. But if you put the ridgeline right against the hammock you wouldn't be able to use the poles.
    I think I understand now. Just put the ridgeline higher than the poles. Were you able to achieve a straighter lay with the ridgeline?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by thierict View Post
    I think I understand now. Just put the ridgeline higher than the poles. Were you able to achieve a straighter lay with the ridgeline?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "straighter". I'm assuming you mean straighter at a diagonal. If that's what you mean, no it didn't really change the lay you would have if you had a good "hangle" without the ridgeline. I wish i could tell you a length and provide some pics, but i've long since sold my clark. I've always liked all the features the clark had to offer, but after owning 3 nx-250's over the years i realized i was sacrificing comfort for features. IMO the clark just isn't long enough.

I've started using a ridgeline in my NX 250, above the hammock and poles. It's great for setting up without adjustments for having the netting sag or be too tight... nearly automatic. It also can help for getting out of the hammock, with a line to grab above, as well as hang other stuff as the interior pockets are pretty small and some stuff will drop too far down in the pockets underneath. More weight, more utility.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I just played with one this weekend actually. On the new NX-250 I bought I've added the SMC Descending Rings for the "Trucker's Hitch Suspension" and decided to give a ridgeline a try between those. Don't know why I did not do that sooner. One of my gripes with the Clark was always the fickleness of setup. I had outings that were really comfortable and then the next outing would be different and something felt 'off'. Then it was also a pain to get the height off the ground I wanted and the angle set right more often than not because of long distance between suitable trees. Just in front-yard testing I can tell this will work nicely. Now it feels the same each time I get in even if I change the suspension attachment height a bit to get up off the ground.

I didn't use any formulas. I just got it adjusted between my trees out front to where it was most comfortable and then ran a line between the rings that was just horizontal with a tiny bit of slack to hold that. I adjusted a bit tighter for stretch and bingo. I could tear it down and set it up the next day and it felt exactly the same which was always more of a process without that ridgeline.

Mine also is several inches above the hoops holding up the netting so it does not interfere. I've got some 750lb dyneema cord coming to replace the completely inadequate clothesline I mocked this up with. May make something similar to the drip rings on my main suspension lines as well since the descending rings this attaches too are often outside the ends of tarp coverage. I plan to keep it setup with a trucker's hitch as well to keep it possible to remove and or adjust later on if needed.

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch bkl & whoopi
    I never needed a ridgeline, but I appreciated having something to hang shoes, lights, etc. from. I just took some extra amsteel and made an extra whoopie that I connect to my anchor points. In the event I have one whoopie break, I have a backup.

Hammock
    Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    A big one
    Insulation
    CCF and down bag
    Suspension
    rope and knots
    I used yellow reflective para cord to make and aftermarket ridge line to hang a light from in my old four bagger Clark Jungle Hammock. It's tied to the anchor lines so that if I were to remove the tarp I'd still keep the same lay/tension.

Hammock
    Dream - Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Klymit, HG TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This is the one thing that was missing out of the NX 270. I always wish I had something overhead just for storage.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbavinny View Post
    I never needed a ridgeline, but I appreciated having something to hang shoes, lights, etc. from. I just took some extra amsteel and made an extra whoopie that I connect to my anchor points. In the event I have one whoopie break, I have a backup.
    I don't think non-Clark owners appreciate how great it is to have storage for larger items like extra clothing and clothes to wear the next morning snugly between the user and an underquilt without sleeping on them. After my last trip (and before the trip next week) I am coming to see the need for more easy-to-reach storage when laying inside the Clark NX-250 with the mosquito netting - weathershield closed.
    Here is my current small storage scheme:
    • I hang a solar light from a non-structural tarp ridgeline connected just loose enough to the ends of and under the tarp to avoid chaffing the tarp and not crowd the mosquito netting - weathershield or me when sitting in the hammock.
    • I hang a neoprene glasses case and my watch from the head end interior loop.

I am skeptical that the interior zippered pockets of a NX-270 would be a good solution for somewhere to store other small items that I might want to use while laying inside the hammock without having to get up:
    • The head-end pocket and holster will both hold my headlamp but are both too small to securely hold my phone, especially with a charger, or perhaps a book but I am going to at least mark their outlines with a silver Sharpie to make them visually stand out from the hammock body and easier to find. I may hang an appropriately-sized (so I'm not bumping it with my head) and brightly colored zippered bag from the grab loop.
    • Also I'd like to hang spare socks and underwear to finish drying knowing they couldn't wind up on the ground.

Stubby's post from 2016 pasted below is an idea but I would like to avoid slack if it's going to get in the way when sitting in the hammock. It appears that the ridgeline may be adjustable to minimize the problem mentioned? I need to rig up the hammock today to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    ...For the OP, I do use a ridgeline. It holds my glasses, and sometimes my socks. I've never had a problem with the hoops of my TX-250 flopping over. I do have a problem with the ridgeline going slack after I get in, though.

Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast