WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR L/JRB SS L
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Cinch
    Images

First DIY Hammock!

Hi all,

I just finished my first DIY hammock. I ordered 5 yards of black 1.6 oz Hyper D fabric from Ripstop by the Roll. I then cut it, hemmed all 4 sides, and sewed in a 108" velvet plush blanket (which doesn't extend the length of the hammock) that I bought from Wal Mart. I then just whipped the ends and added suspension. All together, the hammock is about 12' X 70" and with the suspension from my BB XLC weighs 4 lbs, 10 oz. For most people, this is by NO means a backpacking hammock but could be used for car camping or the like. I don't mind the extra 2 pounds it adds over my BB XLC for the added comfort so I might take it on some backpacking trips. I just set it up and have included some pics below. Based off of a short hang in my backyard, it feels pretty great although I will have to wait until I have the chance to spend the night in it to really test its comfort.

IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I like it. The joy of rolling your own is you can make then to your specs. Just like you have done here.

If you need a backpacking rig you know how to make it now if needed.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I like the blanket idea. I cut down a cheap TexSport "sleeping bag" to use as a hammock/quilt liner, mainly because I hate the feeling of lying right on the hammock fabric. Its thin fleece, and with the zipper removed and the shape cut into a mummy-bag style with a footbox, its easy to lay on. Having a piece of that sewn on would be WAY easier than fighting it into place after crawling into the hammock. The only nice thing about it being loose is, if it's cold in camp and I don't have enough clothes, it wraps around my upper body. I made a second one with snaps that opens up for that reason.

There's nothing more rewarding than DIY that comes out like you want it!
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    12' DIY or WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR L/JRB SS L
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I like the blanket idea. I cut down a cheap TexSport "sleeping bag" to use as a hammock/quilt liner, mainly because I hate the feeling of lying right on the hammock fabric. Its thin fleece, and with the zipper removed and the shape cut into a mummy-bag style with a footbox, its easy to lay on. Having a piece of that sewn on would be WAY easier than fighting it into place after crawling into the hammock. The only nice thing about it being loose is, if it's cold in camp and I don't have enough clothes, it wraps around my upper body. I made a second one with snaps that opens up for that reason.

There's nothing more rewarding than DIY that comes out like you want it!
    Yeah I love the feel of the blanket beneath me and yours is a great idea too! I hope it turns out well if you try it out.

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    How is it for warm weather lounging -- too hot? Or do you only use it for sleeping?

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MarlnSpke
    Nice! I too like the blanket idea. Keep us updated on how it does for you. I would say though that looks might good for a first try.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explore Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/door mod
    Insulation
    DIY UQ under way
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Images
    Nice job. I am still working on my first DIY Hammock. Design is the hardest part.

• + New Posts