Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long should my hammock be?

Hello everyone.

I'm embarking on the quest of making my own hammock and was wondering if anybody knew the height (of the person) to length (of the hammock) ratio so I know how much material to purchase.

I'm 5'7", if any body else is a similar height, i'd like to know what length your hammock is.

Thanks
    "I have taken all knowledge to be my province"
    Sir Francis Bacon

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    There may not be a 'stock' answer because other things factor into it. Things like stretch, fabric width, face weight, your weight, etc can change how even 2 identically sized hammocks feel when you get in them.

A majority of hammocks probably fall into the 9' - 11' range. Considering fabric is usually purchased by the yard that usually means you need at least 3+ yards once you factor in hems and a channel of some type. I usually order at a minimum 4 yards, and typically I actually order at least 5 so I can make a stuff sack and a matching ridge line organizer with some scrap left over for other things.

I will say at 5'7" you probably can get quite comfortable in a hammock that me at 6' might find confining. I can get comfortable in a 9' hammock, but it's a bit easier to do it in a 10'+ hammock.

If you have a friend with a hammock, or if you've tried a particular commercial hammock you know the size of you might want to just replicate those measurements.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Ed Speer would give you one way to figure it out and Papa Smurf from Dream Hammock may give you another. Either would work for some folks and not others.

What Dream Hammocks and other cottage vendors now do is let you tell them what length you want. You can go with Pro hammocks from them down to DIY and every flavor in-between.

For DIY, start with 4 yards and whip the ends and try that. Then 11', and10', 11.5', 10.5'. Try different lengths until you like it before you start cutting the fabric. When you find what you like, make a SRL (Structural ridgeline) to keep the sag constant.

Good luck on your new hammock.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

I'm 6'6" and like a 12' hammock. Soon will be making a 13' as I have a theory that a hammock should be 2x your height set at approx 83% ridge line length. This is figuring on the standard ~59" width, got some ~72" going to try a 12' with. This does however pose an issue with tarps when you exceed the 11-12' mark.

So for you I'd say 11'-11.5'. This is only my recommendation as others have said. Try out some then decide.

Images
    I'm in the same boat, starting out and really not sure what I would like as far as length or material.

I was thinking about making some table cloth hammocks to start doing some DIY and play around with length and width.

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I am 6.0 to 6.03 feet tall and I have a cheap hammock that is only about 7.7 long and 4 feet wide and for me that is way to short and narrow.

I also made a simple hammock myself following Derek Hansen his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVyX0McICr0 which is about 10 feet long and about 5 feet wide. This suits me much much better. This homemade version only cost me about 15 Euro's for the ripstop nylon. So that's a cheap solution to test which size will work best for you.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I am 6’ and I prefer 11’ +
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Don't limit yourself to just one either. I've made about 7 different hammocks myself, and I alter something about them every time. Some are longer, some are shorter, some are narrower, different fabrics, etc. I've learned something interesting every time, and I can sleep in every single one of them ( some easier than others granted ).

I just ordered 10 more yards of ripstop to try our some new ideas. Oddly enough one was gong to be my longest yet at 11'6".

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I'm 6'2 and I don't mind a shorter hammock. My Eno is under 10 feet. I just made one out of some fabric I bought pre tie-dyed that I cut down to around 11 feet and once finished it was closer to 10. Since fabric is sold often by the yard, if you order 4 yards and cut off a foot or 18 inches, you've got material to make the stuff sack and a pillow or something like a ridge line organizer. I like the Eno way of having the bag attached to the side, since it means I don't lose the **** bag between bedtime and packing-up time.

But to each his own!
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_1 View Post
    I am 6.0 to 6.03 feet tall and I have a cheap hammock that is only about 7.7 long and 4 feet wide and for me that is way to short and narrow.

I also made a simple hammock myself following Derek Hansen his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVyX0McICr0 which is about 10 feet long and about 5 feet wide. This suits me much much better. This homemade version only cost me about 15 Euro's for the ripstop nylon. So that's a cheap solution to test which size will work best for you.
    You mentioned euros, so it piqued my interest. I'm looking to get fabric in Ireland / Europe. Where did you get yours?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast