Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    COOL! Looks great. Dont worry about what the gear nazis say. They hate my Baltoro backpack because its so heavy...and I havent even asked them to carry it for me. HYOH!

Hammock
    SMR Pares/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Smr Stratos/Nube
    Insulation
    20deg loco libre
    Suspension
    SMR EZ slings
    Weight is one problem, I believe it's right around 3 lbs, the bug net is fantastic and the gear storage is awesome, it keeps it up off the ground and dry, we woke up in the morning and my stuff was dry, my buddy who slept in an asymzip was wet and his pack was soaked, he put his pack cover over but the bottom side was drenched from sitting on the ground. There are def many better options when it comes to weight but we do a lot of short 10 mile or so overnight hikes and the weight doesn't bother me much.

I pack kinda light not to much food and without water I'm usually around 13 lbs so it's not bad at all

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    One of the Assistant Scoutmasters in our troop has one and likes it pretty well. I think it's an interesting approach - everything inside the shelter - no bugs in your shoes or pack. One thing, the sleeve thingy for the hammock suspension can let some rain in on the suspension line, consider a drip break inside.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Hey, as long as your happy, that's all that counts. Don't fall into the mindset that I gotta impress the folks on HF.... Looks cool to me..
    +1

All depends on why you hang, how you get there, and what you can enjoy. I thought it was a great idea when I first saw them.

I read a post elsewhere about scout backpacking from some extreme UL packers. They were almost disgusted that they were the only ones with the UL backpacks and gear, and had no comprehension on why anyone would go in the woods with traditional gear. Talked to a friend of mine about it who has been backpacking for 60 years, and he told stories about wood frame packs and canvas tents he used to carry. Guess he didn't now he was not supposed to enjoy it back then.

I love the HYOH mentality.

Hammock
    SMR Pares/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Smr Stratos/Nube
    Insulation
    20deg loco libre
    Suspension
    SMR EZ slings
    I get the practicality of going UL but I personally don't have the money to drop 20 bucks on a spork or 400 bucks on a Cubin fiber tarp that may not last that long.

personally I just love getting into the woods most of my trips are less then ten miles simply cause with 2 children who play baseball/hockey and soccer plus my average work week is 60+ hrs I just don't have the time to take long trips, not to mention keeping the wife happy. I just simply enjoy being in the woods I try and get my oldest out with me as much as I can but time is limited.

I have an old 2 piece army pup tent that prob weighs about 15 lbs alone my father used to use in the scouts I could imagine carrying that

Images
    It's a myth that you can't hike ultralight without spending gobs of money. A recycled plastic spork weighs less than a titanium one. A roll of braided nylon mason's twine and a 2 mil 9'x12' plastic tarp will yield a 9'x9' tarp which can be pitched diagonally over your hammock for good coverage. The leftover piece becomes a couple of ground sheets. Don't let a lack of money stop you from a comfortable hike.

Hammock
    Draumr, Clark NX270
    Tarp
    Vertex, UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Images
    I almost went with the Nube when I started out, but its lack of customization steered me elsewhere. the gear storage is cool, but there are other options out there. Definitely looks like a solid product. I have no problem with a little extra weight - as long as it translates to durability. It's all about personal preference, and it's good to hear about all of the available equipment.
    Preferring HUGE tracts of land since 1983

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12