WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    A question for Tramos 55 here,I dunked my WBBB 1.1 DL and my HH Asym Ex.(two of the 4 hammocks I own since the others are for winter use) but the smell of the permethrin is lingering to the extent I don't want to put it in the pack with my food stuffs.Any advice on that?I mixed 8 oz of Martins 10% with 5 liters of water.It has always worked just fine on my clothes but my hammocks sorta "reek" of it about now.
    I think 8 oz might be a bit strong there. I use 1 oz per gallon and I do well with that. Have you washed your hammocks after treating? There is a petroleum product in the 10% stuff that has an odor. It won't go away totally with the washing but I like that the smell is there and I don't find it unpleasant. To me, it just smells like camping. If I can't smell the permethrin, then it's time to retreat.
    Last edited by tramos55; 08-20-2015 at 12:35.

I have to confess Shugs videos have taught me a considerable amount as well. He and Syntax77, thanks guys.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by tramos55 View Post
    I think 8 oz might be a bit strong there. I use 1 oz per gallon and I do well with that. Have you washed your hammocks after treating? There is a petroleum product in the 10% stuff that has an odor. It won't go away totally with the washing but I like that the smell is there and I don't find it unpleasant. To me, it just smells like camping. If I can't smell the permethrin, then it's time to retreat.
    Thanks guys for the replies.Actually,since it was a 10% chemical then to get the desired .5 % residual I used 1.5 oz per liter.Got my formulation from 4 Eyed Buzzard and his math checked out at the time.After hanging out in my hot garage for about 4 days my hammocks smell like "normal" gear now.I had never thot about treating the gear I use as I've always used Permanone in the spray can to treat my boots and clothes etc.Can't seem to find that at my local Ace Hardware anymore so I am a dunker now.I spray the solution on my boots etc.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch PolyD/ NylonD
    Tarp
    UGQ WD11
    Insulation
    Several
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I had never thot about treating the gear I use as I've always used Permanone in the spray can to treat my boots and clothes etc.Can't seem to find that at my local Ace Hardware anymore so I am a dunker now.I spray the solution on my boots etc.
    FWIW, I find the spray version at Academy Sports, Bass Pro, Cabelas and other assorted big box sports stores. Walmart carries it too. Maybe this isn't the same stuff? I just picked some up and have zero experience using it.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Yes,I have used Sawyers but it is cheaper and more convenient to have a quart of Martins 10% in the garage to mix up and spray or soak clothes or gear.I put it on most everything I wear including cap and bandanna.

Quote Originally Posted by tramos55 View Post

Bug/tick control:

I strongly recommend using Permethrin. I get it from Tractor Supply. It's for livestock. Dilute an ounce to a gallon of water. Put gloves on and dunk your clothes and hammocks. Hang Dry. It's now safe. Machine wash and your good to go. You will still need bug spray but ticks are no longer an issue. Plus, if your hammock is permetherined, the mossies and no-seeums pretty much leave it alone.

I don't understand what benefit is gained by using permethrin on anything other than clothes. The hammock's body and bug net keep the critters off you. Might as well hang rags soaked in this stuff hanging from all of the shrubs as you pass by on your trip.

Put the stuff on your clothes where it makes sense.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I don't understand what benefit is gained by using permethrin on anything other than clothes...
    1) sorry for staying off topic.
    2a) I don't treat my sleeping clothes.
    2b) 'skeeters will bite right through a hammock.
    2c) If they get in there with you, you're food all night.
    3) I treat my suspension too.
    4) All hail Shug! Shug Shuggity Shug Shuggity Shug Shug Shuroo

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I do treat my clothes. I treat my hammocks for ticks and other biting beasts. Also the annoying flyby's of the mossies are drastically reduced when I'm trying to sleep or just chillin. But, as always HYOH.

Oh, and I forgot to add, I HAAATE spiders. Just believing the permethrin keeps them off my hammock is reason alone enough for me to use it.
    Last edited by tramos55; 08-21-2015 at 22:25.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Depends on season
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    I was always looking for a trail coffee, SHUG has the best and thats what i use,, Not sure how to spell but its in all his videos

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Medaglia d'oro -- yet another thing to thank Shug for... The man has good taste.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast