Hammock
    Dutch Hexon & net
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Kevlar
    Hmm. Seems like the consensus is that I need some kind of insulation even in fairly warm weather. It really doesn’t seem like it would get that cold in the 70s, but if there is one thing I’ve learned, it’s that ignoring the voices of experience almost never ends well.

I’m thinking of bringing along an old thermarest air mattress for underside insulation. For topside insulation I was thinking a sleeping bag liner, plus an extra pair of socks, and a Patagonia nano puff jacket that I could spread over myself like a blanket, and maybe a poncho for another layer on top of that if needed. This way, I’ll have some insulation if it gets cold, but I don’t need to buy any new gear short notice since its all stuff that’s around for other uses. Does that sound like adequate insulation for the 65-75 temperature range?

Quote Originally Posted by Wtmurray View Post
    I’m thinking of bringing along an old thermarest air mattress for underside insulation. For topside insulation I was thinking a sleeping bag liner, plus an extra pair of socks, and a Patagonia nano puff jacket that I could spread over myself like a blanket, and maybe a poncho for another layer on top of that if needed. This way, I’ll have some insulation if it gets cold, but I don’t need to buy any new gear short notice since its all stuff that’s around for other uses. Does that sound like adequate insulation for the 65-75 temperature range?
    For the temps you're talking about, I think you'll be OK. The Thermarest will provide an excellent under-insulation, which is your primary need. Just make sure to inflate it partially, so it conforms to your hammock better (it doesn't need to provide any support to you).

One other thing that most haven't talked about (yet) is site selection - if you can slow the breeze down that will end up under you hammock, you'll be warmer. Being deeper in the woods is a better choice than, say, an exposed point, unless you have other physical barriers to slow things down.

Experience is your best teacher - everyone here has experienced a cold night where the wind is robbing heat from your bottom & back, and you probably will too. Just don't give up with one bad hang.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    To me your plan sounds workable, but I'd echo the advice of others -- try it out in your backyard overnight. Hammocks are colder than you'd think, especially in the small hours of the morning when your body's metabolic rate and blood pressure are at their minimums.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Tarps can be had for very cheap or very expensive. I would highly recommend taking one with you, even if its a just in case situation. If weight isn't an issue, just go to Wally mart and get a blue one and some paracord and hang out that way. If you decide to get a better quality one, silnylon would be a good step up. If you then decide to go to the next and as of right now the lightest level, you can get cuben fiber. Cuben is super expensive but super light. I personally have a sil-type material that I got from dutchwaregear.com and it is only 11oz or so, which packs down much smaller than those big blue ones and is only a few ounces off from cuben fiber for less than half the price.

There are tons of options and remember that you can always upgrade, but it is better to have it and not need it.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbcooper View Post
    I spent 6 bucks on a 25ft roll of 2 mil plastic and 4 bucks on a roll
    Of duct tape and made 2 hex tarps out of it, they worked fantastic, they took about 1hr and a half to make and have held up very well, my avatar shows one I made
    This is a great and light solution. I have been using 3mil painter tarp as tarp material for the last 3 or so years. cutting an 11' hex tarp usually wound up around 13-14 ounces. I used the clear ducttape and cut it in half to make it 1" strips so I was using less tape, be sure to run a whole length along the ridgeline to reinforce the plastic. Another plus is its cheap and if you burn a hole in it or it tears you just toss it and make another. I just recently purchased a MacCat Delux to replace my plastic one.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Your choice of a Wilderness Logics tarp is a good one that you will be grateful for in the future; good gear and good people.
    Yes, if you get the chance test your insulation at home where you can bail easily to a warm spot.
    You may be fine with the Therma-rest and the warm layers you propose, but that will depend on too many variables to cover it all here.
    The good thing is that you are getting ready to get out there and experience and experiment with hammock camping. Enjoy!
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Yes, test your insulation where you can easily bail to the vehicle (or add more under-insulation in the middle of the night).

Best of luck! You've made a good tarp purchase and your 'temporary' insulation plan should work as long as the overnight lows stay above 60 (given no wind) and you stay dry.

Looking forward to your 1st trip report (we all love those here
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    War bonnet blackbird
    I used a big harbor freight tarp and USGI poncho as a tarp at Boy Scout summer camp. Worked great. Not a bit wet and it rained heavy every day. Now as to taking a tarp...two weeks ago we went on another Boy Scout trip 0% chance rain.. More starts than ever...so I set up with no tarp. At 4 I wake to rain. Can't rain long I think...there was 0% chance???an hour later it's still raining.. Well I could go grab my tarp and set it up...but I'd never get back to sleep. What a waste of a good hammock night. I will from now on ALLWAYS set up the tarp.

As to insulation...I'm sure I'm gonna learn soon..but I haven't gotten cold yet. I've used a thermorest pad and I am usually sweating. I can cover with the woobie sometimes. Coldest it's been is 65. I am going on a hike in late sept in KY so I'm sure it will be cooler then.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I was camping in the Adirondacks this weekend and the low was 57 degrees. That's insulation weather! In the next month or so it will get colder at night, and I'll appreciate having a TQ & UQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon & net
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Kevlar
    Thanks again to everyone who helped answer questions in this thread. I just posted the trip report for my first hang over in the trip reports forum.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast