Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ready to purchase a TQ : List the vendors and models please!

Hey folks. Just got into hammocking this year and have been sleeping a lot in the backyard and getting ready to do some camping with it. On a friends recommendation, I have the Blackbird DL1.7 XLC and a Mambajamba tarp. I also have a 3 season Yeti UQ on order and have been using a DIY poncho liner UQ for a few weeks.

Now I would like to round out the package with a nice 20 degree TQ. Just to make sure I don't miss any of them, can you guys list which vendors make them and are recommended? I have taken a look so far at HammockGear, WBO, JRB, and UGQ. They seem to all be in the same sort of pricing ballpark and of similar features. I am new to the quality outdoor goods market and down items, so I am having a hard time differentiating, and since this will be the most expensive single item, I'd like to "buy once and cry once" as they say.

If it helps, I am a big guy at 6' about 275, so I probably need the "long" and "wide" version of whatever quilt. I think I am set on a sewn footbox. I will be not be winter hanging ever, so I think the 20 degree is the best choice. Please help me out with some recommendations and I appreciate the help greatly!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Take a look at Enlightened Equipment. They can be had for similar prices, or you can go even higher. Really quality stuff and you may find they have some more options for your size.

Loco Libre is a newer vendor that appears to be in the same category of quality quilts as the others you've mentioned. I just ordered a 20 from them, matter of fact.

Wilderness Logics has been around a while making quality stuff. I know they specifically sell an XL quilt.

Anything you pick from these vendors (including the ones you mentioned) is going to be good. Take a look at all and ask questions about differences if they seem important to you. I think most regular length quilts are going to fit to 6', and I don't recommend going longer. You will hear some say they like to pull the quilt over them, but that only allows breath moisture to build up in the down.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Myself i would go with the flight jacket from UGQ, i actually just recieved a new one this week and it's a very nice tq, great craftsmanship with decent features.
    Based on your size,(i'm a big guy)i would do the wide and long with NO TAPER
    You wont be dissapointed.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    You might want to check out this thread.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mparison-Chart

It compares a few of the hammocks, quilts, and tarps made by the cottage vendors here.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

OK guys, thanks for the recommendations so far. I am leaning towards pulling the trigger on the WL King Size quilt. Seems like a nice one for the money and his turnaround time seems to be really quick.

Questions:
    I was shooting for a 20 degree, but this one is rated to 15, and also has overfill option. I am going 3 season, no winter camping, but would you recommend getting any overfill?

Still on the fence with footbox. Seems like it would be nice to have the snap option to open up as a regular blanket that me or the wife could use around the house. But most people seem to recommend the sewn end. I wonder if getting some overfill added mainly to the foot end might offset the difference and go with snaps?

Outside of winter camping, do you guys use the shoulder/neck end shockcord a lot? WL has it as a $20 extra cost so I am wondering if I should add it or not.

Thanks again for the help!

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    also check out midatlantic mountain works

http://www.locolibregear.com/

I have done business with George for quite a while and he is a stand up guy, I have a quilt on the way from him right now and if I get it before you buy I will let you know how it compares. I have 3 Enlightened Equipment quilts and they are great quality and I also have a Burrow on the way that I bought here on the forum so I will be able to share with you some of my impressions. I can say that the EE quilts loft really high and are very good quality construction. the material looked fragile to me when I got the first one but it has performed flawlessly and even survived my wifes yorkie jumping in the hammock with me and using her hind feet for traction on the quilt, I thought for sure it would have ripped open but it didn't even leave a snag.
    as far as temp ratings or over stuff I think you kinda have to know yourself to make that decision. I sleep pretty cold and have found that I usually need a bag rated 30 degrees lower than the actual temp in cold weather but these are my first top quilts so I am hoping for a pleasant surprise.

oh, I should have mentioned I just ordered my quilt from George maybe 2 weeks ago and it has already shipped, also George didn't have the fabric I wanted but ordered it from another source to make 100% sure I got what I wanted.

happy hunting.

creek

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Check out ArrowHead Equipment too. Theirs is synthetic (I prefer synthetic, just my choice), but the 4 season is rated to 10 degrees. I just gor their 3 season Owyhee, and have no experience with it yet, other than unboxing and laying in it. The quality is fantastic, the footbox closes with velcro up the leg, and a drawstring at the bottom, so you can vent them if needed. I am going to do some test hangs next week with it-just waiting on my tarp

Hey guys, I went ahead and ordered the King Size Quilt from WL so I am good to go now. I looked at all the options mentioned, and they all look great and all in the same price range. It was a tough decision, but some of it came down to lead time really. Loco and WL seemed to be the quickest at this point. I am borrowing an EE from a friend right now and that's also very nice. With this TQ and a Yeti UQ on the way, I am good to go!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG UQ / WL TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Great choice! Wilderness Logics makes great gear. My WL top quilt keeps me very warm. I'm sure you're going to love it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast