Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Listen to this feller .... I have seen him do it. A true Hennessy purist if ever there was one!
    Hey Kurt.......
    Yep, you have! Not a HH purist though, as you know I've enjoyed my WB BB as well. My HH is still back in MN, but looking forward to playing with it again after 4 months testing the BB for BGT when my gear arrives here in December along with the rest of my worldly goods. I want to go back to it again and see how I feel about it afterwards. Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Looking forward to the day your travels bring you to Tucson so we can do a warm-weather hang, hopefully something a little warmer than our teeth-chattering -27 degree outing!

Regards,
    --Kurt

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Yep, you have! Not a HH purist though, as you know I've enjoyed my WB BB as well. My HH is still back in MN, but looking forward to playing with it again after 4 months testing the BB for BGT when my gear arrives here in December along with the rest of my worldly goods. I want to go back to it again and see how I feel about it afterwards. Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Looking forward to the day your travels bring you to Tucson so we can do a warm-weather hang, hopefully something a little warmer than our teeth-chattering -27 degree outing!

Regards,
    --Kurt
    I/we will have to plan on that sometime down the road ....... bet you are glad to be getting your stuff ...
    so ... on to the tarp .........
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Relativley new to hanging and the board. First off I want to thank everyone on here for all the great info, you have all been a wealth of knowledge. As a HH owner, I have been experimenting with....well, everything. So in my search for knowledge I've been branching out all over the board, reading and gleaning info. In my anticipation of a new tarp, (OES MacCat Deluxe) I just wanted to read up on tarp suspension, then I came across this....

Quote Originally Posted by bdpalace View Post
    I bought a bigger tarp to give me more room for lounging, cooking and gear cover which makes for a dry hammock/camp set-up when it is raining. I use the stock tarp as an undercover (http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStay...flyProject.pdf) and have found it very helpful as the temps drop. The only difference is that I have the zipper mod (Thanks 2Q/ZQ) and I don't have to worry about closing up the foot end after slipping through the bottom entry.

Wow! Thank you a million! Unfortunatly the link is broken to Just Jeffs page, but I never thought of using the stock tarp as an undercover, but it makes perfect sense. Will absolutly have to get 2Q's zip mod.

Once again, thanks for sharing all of this great info with a former ground dweller!

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    i think this video covers both the issues really. i agree with people saying that the stock tarp and having them hanging together is the way to do it. why would you want to have to rig two things up? just wastes time.

put the hammock up normally, get the tarp sorted and then unclip it at one end, slide the snake skin inside and clip it on again, repeat at the other side and then put the hammock in the snake skins...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwzZTeAE3yc

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the Hennessy Hex tarp. I put up a loop of cord around the tree, bunt line hitch the closed eye of a NiteIze Figure 9 tensioner, then feed my ridgeline through the adjustable portion of the Figure 9. Once the ridgeline is set, I then guy out the corners and tension with ClamCleats small LinLoks. Then I hang my hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I use snakeskins for the hammock/tarp/UC combo, and never bother to set up the tarp separately. With the hammock rolled up nicely in the tarp in the skins it never gets wet, even during setup.

IMHO, the great advantage of the stock fly attached to the ridgeline is the ease and speed of setup. Just tie out the two sides and you're done.

For me, the main advantage of pitching the tarp separately is the tauter pitch, but if a bit of a floppy pitch doesn't bother you...

--Kurt
    I don't think this ever got tested much around here, even when HH was top of the charts 2 or 3 years ago. I think it was assumed by most that things would get wet using this set up. But who knows, somebody might have actually got wet trying it. But I had some young users at HH swear by this method to me.

In addition to you, I used this method from time to time, but never really got to test it out, trying to set up or break camp in heavy rain. But for the times I did use it, it sure was fast and easy. Did you use this approach with your HH,tarp, and SS undercover, or just with the hammock/tarp without SS UC? If memory serves, with #4 skins I was able to wrap up stock tarp, hammock and UC, after removing pad. But it has been quite a while, so I'm not certain.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I don't think this ever got tested much around here, even when HH was top of the charts 2 or 3 years ago. I think it was assumed by most that things would get wet using this set up. But who knows, somebody might have actually got wet trying it. But I had some young users at HH swear by this method to me.

In addition to you, I used this method from time to time, but never really got to test it out, trying to set up or break camp in heavy rain. But for the times I did use it, it sure was fast and easy. Did you use this approach with your HH,tarp, and SS undercover, or just with the hammock/tarp without SS UC? If memory serves, with #4 skins I was able to wrap up stock tarp, hammock and UC, after removing pad. But it has been quite a while, so I'm not certain.
    I have set my camp up, and struck it in heavy rain. The hammock and tarp each get their own set of snakeskins. I set the tarp up first, then the hammock. I know the HH web site says you can have both in the one set, but as you point out, then everything could get wet (that is, after the down pour and you then wrap a wet tarp around a hammock and bundle it all into the same set of skins).

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    I have set my camp up, and struck it in heavy rain. The hammock and tarp each get their own set of snakeskins. I set the tarp up first, then the hammock. I know the HH web site says you can have both in the one set, but as you point out, then everything could get wet (that is, after the down pour and you then wrap a wet tarp around a hammock and bundle it all into the same set of skins).

as the tarp is made from non absorbant materials, cant you just shake it off? i think people have the standard tarp pegged out too flat in heavy rain and misunderstand how its supposed to be used. if you peg it down to the ground at a steep angle, the rain runs right off and it wont be a problem. when i pack my standard set up into the snake skins, i rap the tarp around the hammock, so the outside would never touch the inside anyway, then i pull the snake skins over the top after that.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    p.s: that last post kinda seemed like a dig at you... it wasnt supposed to be... i literally just rolled out of bed.... everyone enjoys using their hammock differently!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12