Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Wink Hello from the Netherlands

Hi folks. Just a "quick" introduction.

I am rather new to hammocking. When I was around 15, I bought a hammock which was woven (a bit like a fishing net) and used it a few times for fun. That's as far as my experience goes. When I was younger than I am now, I used to take my poncho to use it as as a simpel shelter and some blankets to lie on and under and camp out in the forest. Now I am 45 and my body won't allow me to do that anymore. So I thought about using a hammock, because I miss those days of just camping out. But I need a bit more comfort than the ground.

I have reasearched a lot (that's my thing) and watched loads and loads of YT video's, read the "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek J. Hansen and had a conversation via mail with him about hammocks and what would be a good choise for me. Derek is a great guy and very helpfull and was willing to take the time for me.

At the moment I have a cheap Chinese hammock with incorperated mosquito netting (220/250 cm. by 120 cm.) and a self made hammock from ripstop nylon (290/300 cm. by 150 cm). The Chinese version is a suprisingly good built, for something that only cost 12 Euro's. I expected a totall waste of money, but was pleasantly surprised. The only drawback is that it is to small. Mainly to narrow.

My self made hammock is nice and comfortable, but not a "real" hammock. It's just cloth with at the ends a knot tied into it, with continuous loops "hugging" the knot. I needed the knot, because without the knot the loop was sliding off (I fell down LOL. Glad I had it hanging above my bed so the fall was soft:-)).

I am reasonably tall 6.00-6.03 feet or 1.83-1.84 meters and don't way much (74 kg.).

After chatting with Derek, I think the best solution for me is buying either the Woodsman X or the Woodsman Xpedition from UKhammocks. I talked to Mat from UKhammocks a bit and he seems like a really nice guy as well and was very helpfull in answering a few of my questions.

If anyone has any questions. Feel free to ask!

Regards,

Martin
    Last edited by Martin_1; 08-16-2015 at 16:33.

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Is there noone from the Netherlands here?

I've never been to the Netherlands, but welcome from NC, USA!
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Welcome to the world of hammocks, Martin_1.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG 10' Camo Tarp d
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    evoloop
    Welcome Martin_1
    There are several people over here in the Netherlands with Hammocks, the group is growing.
    Its difficult to find a perfect hanging spot because it's not allowed to wild camp.
    The Rugzaklopers (backpackers club) has several hammockers (). They organise every weekend (Friday to Sunday), 10/25 miles, hikes.

I have Jeremy's BoneFire hammock and love it.

IMG_5642.jpg

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the welccome Caminante, ofuros and gos! Glad to be here :-).

I never heard of the Rugzaklopers. Where do you folks walk? I live in the north and often everything is much further south. That is a great looking hammock you have there gos! I just bought the Woodsman X from UKHammocks. http://ukhammocks.co.uk/collections/...ant=1055617964 :-).

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin_1 View Post
    Hi folks. Just a "quick" introduction.

I am rather new to hammocking. When I was around 15, I bought a hammock which was woven (a bit like a fishing net) and used it a few times for fun. That's as far as my experience goes. When I was younger than I am now, I used to take my poncho to use it as as a simpel shelter and some blankets to lie on and under and camp out in the forest. Now I am 45 and my body won't allow me to do that anymore. So I thought about using a hammock, because I miss those days of just camping out. But I need a bit more comfort than the ground.

I have reasearched a lot (that's my thing) and watched loads and loads of YT video's, read the "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek J. Hansen and had a conversation via mail with him about hammocks and what would be a good choise for me. Derek is a great guy and very helpfull and was willing to take the time for me.

At the moment I have a cheap Chinese hammock with incorperated mosquito netting (220/250 cm. by 120 cm.) and a self made hammock from ripstop nylon (290/300 cm. by 150 cm). The Chinese version is a suprisingly good built, for something that only cost 12 Euro's. I expected a totall waste of money, but was pleasantly surprised. The only drawback is that it is to small. Mainly to narrow.

My self made hammock is nice and comfortable, but not a "real" hammock. It's just cloth with at the ends a knot tied into it, with continuous loops "hugging" the knot. I needed the knot, because without the knot the loop was sliding off (I fell down LOL. Glad I had it hanging above my bed so the fall was soft:-)).

I am reasonably tall 6.00-6.03 feet or 1.83-1.84 meters and don't way much (74 kg.).

After chatting with Derek, I think the best solution for me is buying either the Woodsman X or the Woodsman Xpedition from UKhammocks. I talked to Mat from UKhammocks a bit and he seems like a really nice guy as well and was very helpfull in answering a few of my questions.

If anyone has any questions. Feel free to ask!

Regards,

Martin
    Welcome to the forums! One of these days I'll make it across the pond. Until then, welcome from South Carolina, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by gos View Post
    Welcome Martin_1
    There are several people over here in the Netherlands with Hammocks, the group is growing.
    Its difficult to find a perfect hanging spot because it's not allowed to wild camp.
    The Rugzaklopers (backpackers club) has several hammockers (). They organise every weekend (Friday to Sunday), 10/25 miles, hikes.

I have Jeremy's BoneFire hammock and love it.

IMG_5642.jpg
    That's a great picture, Gos. I'm glad it is still working out for you.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from Scotland!

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the welcome guys! I hope to be able to visit all of you some day.

• + New Posts