Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Doesn't the velcro get caught up in the bugnet? Right now, without a stuff sack, I have trouble getting the net into and out of my velcro'd bike bag without snagging...

See, the thing is, I've been fine without the SRL -- no need to add extra faffing material. Or, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry for not replying. We're occupied with a "little" trip right now

uploadfromtaptalk1468899010342.jpg

Hope Pass (elev. 12,580 ft)

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    Topping this old thread to ask a few more questions, after having constructed my own bugnet in this style.

1. Do the edges of no-see-um bug netting need to be hemmed, or melted, to keep from fraying? I used Nano NoSeeUm from Dutch, and did not hem the open end edges. (It looks fine after one use but I'm thinking long-term.)

2. Did you, hipbone, or anyone else who has made one of these, have a problem with the open end coming up over the hammock? Last night (first try) my head end sometimes poked out from under the net, as I shifted around and got diagonal. Most likely this is because 1) the CRL it was attached to was shifted about an inch to one side of the tree strap, away from the side where I typically lay my head, and 2) I didn't tighten the shock cord enough. After looking at it more closely in the light of day I adjusted both things, laid down, and it seemed more secure. But I began to wonder about attaching a thin strap or something to secure the open end once in the hammock.

3. How wide is yours? Early vague plans called for folding over the 54" wide netting, but I started off following the Fronkey instructions -- cutting a piece twice as long and folding lengthwise -- and didn't realize I'd screwed up until I'd already sewed the first (very long) top seam. But I think it turned out for the best... made it about 60" wide, and I wouldn't want it to be any more narrow.

Overall I liked it. The fabric is wonderfully light and silky, and seemed not too fragile, despite getting caught up in briar bushes. Next I need to construct the bishop bag so that the poor bugnet is not flopping all over the ground as I try to set up. (Or at least wait to drink that celebratory beer until after the hammock is good to go...)

1. We did not hem the open edges but I wanted to. The edges on the .5 nanoseeum rolled up and made it hard to hem. we just left it unhemmed since this was our first attempt at the bug net and we thought we may have to make another version with modifications. I'm still using that first version of the bugnet we made and the edges are still doing fine. if i make another one I would want the edges hemmed.

2. I do not have a problem with it coming over my hammock at all, but my ridgeline on my hammock is pretty short (9 ft hammock, 90 in ridge line). The short hammock/ridgeline makes the bug net drape pretty low compared to my hammock. If you use a longer hammock you may have to change the angles on the edges of the net or make it longer than I did mine. You may even look into putting a small toggle halfway down the open edge to secure it a little better...This was my plan but mine functions perfectly without it. I've never had the bug net come off of my hammock or leave gaps anywhere.

3. I used Ripstopbytheroll .5 oz NS50 Noseeum mesh. It is 62 inches wide so I did not have to sew 2 pieces together, i just used 1 continuous piece (note here that my hammock ridgeline is 90 inches, anything longer makes the hammock deeper, so you may have to do a seam to get the right length to cover a longer hammock). If your bug net is 60 inches wide and you have a really long hammock, you may have to make it a big wider, but maybe not

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan View Post
    Hipbone, I saw your setup at last year's Grayson Highlands hang and I've been thinking of if ever since. I'm working on a Robic hammock and this bug net would be a perfect match. Would you be willing to share your plans / pattern / sketches? Or we could talk about it some more at this year's Grayson's hang if you attend...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We're headed to the Grayson Highlands hang so you can take a look at it there. We have some simple measurements for it, but i think the measurements would depend on the length of your hammock (probably have to sew a ridgeline in the bugnet if you're using a hammock over 10 ft or so...). hope to see you at Grayson Highlands

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Hey thanks for the answers -- hope your trip was awesome!

New Member Fellowship of the Rain's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY WBB Clone
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Poly w Ele Trunks
    Nicely done! Thanks for the video explanation too. Subscribed to the thread for future hammock builds.

Do you stow the hammock in the bishop bag too? I assume it's large enough but thought I'd ask.

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post
    Do you stow the hammock in the bishop bag too? I assume it's large enough but thought I'd ask.
    I stow my hammock and bug net (still attached to the suspension) in my Ridgeline organizer. I detach the Ridgeline organizer and stuff my hammock/net in it. The Ridgeline organizer has a pocket on the outside for my suspension. I like this setup because the Ridgeline organizer does double duty and helps lighten the overall load

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
    I stow my hammock and bug net (still attached to the suspension) in my Ridgeline organizer. I detach the Ridgeline organizer and stuff my hammock/net in it. The Ridgeline organizer has a pocket on the outside for my suspension. I like this setup because the Ridgeline organizer does double duty and helps lighten the overall load
    Perfect synergy, hipbone! 👍👏

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post

made a quick video to show the set up...

https://youtu.be/cJoTyH5hhjI

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast