Dutch 11' Hex 2.4/ SLD Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Catcut Hex
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

hammock socks vs underquilt protector

It's that time of year when I start thinking about autumn camping and off season coastline trips. I'm trying to decide whether adding a hammock sock to my summer set up of Maccat Deluxe tarp is enough or whether I need to add the tarp end beaks and underquilt protector?
    "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Will Durant

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker Boy View Post
    It's that time of year when I start thinking about autumn camping and off season coastline trips. I'm trying to decide whether adding a hammock sock to my summer set up of Maccat Deluxe tarp is enough or whether I need to add the tarp end beaks and underquilt protector?
    I have been very pleased with my Maccat Delux one 2QZQ griz beak and breathable UQP even in the dead of winter.

Last edited by OutandBack; 08-15-2015 at 15:28.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I have both - 1.1 sil UQP and soft tyvek sock/pod. The soft tyvek sock/pod covers shoulders to foot end of hammock (head is outside) and out performs the 1.1 sil UQP every time. A little condensation may occur in the bottom of the sock when it is cold and high humidity - but very manageable (wear a vapor barrier and no condensation). Below 50F and I use the sock every time.

So an UQP performs at about 85% of what the non-insulated sock/pod does.The sock also keeps rain spray/snow off/out of the hammock.

Quick picture:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=27438

Now a Speer PeaPod is what I'd really like for winter use.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 08-15-2015 at 15:29.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Every time I think I've got all the gear I "need/want" someone goes ahead and mentions another item Ive completely forgtten about.

Any reason not to go with the 2QZQ breathable? I'd really only need something like this in a surprise storm, I'm usually on top of weather issues before outings with the family nowadays.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I almost always use my 1.1 sil UQP in warm weather (breathable) - blocks the wind and I treat it with permethrin to keep the bugs off my backside (HUG bugnet on top). I like the UQP in warm weather because you can vent (open) the top. The UQP is very useful in cold weather too, but I switch to my DIY sock/pods when expected to be below about 50F.
    The sil UQP is big enough that you can wrap it around the bottom half of your hammock to block most wind on extremely windy nights. 6.5 oz and rolls up to the size of a softball - versatile, light and easy to carry.

P.S. I don't think you ever have 'all the gear'. The hard part for me is deciding on what gear to bring.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beenaround View Post
    Every time I think I've got all the gear I "need/want" someone goes ahead and mentions another item Ive completely forgtten about.

Any reason not to go with the 2QZQ breathable? I'd really only need something like this in a surprise storm, I'm usually on top of weather issues before outings with the family nowadays.
    I was very surprised how often I was glad I brought my 2QZQ UQP. It doesn't take much of a breeze to start feeling the heat leaving your UQ.
    It's not just for that stray storm that happened to blow in. I have even been able to bring a thinner/lighter UQ when using an UQP saving weight and space in my pack.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I was very surprised how often I was glad I brought my 2QZQ UQP. It doesn't take much of a breeze to start feeling the heat leaving your UQ.
    It's not just for that stray storm that happened to blow in. I have even been able to bring a thinner/lighter UQ when using an UQP saving weight and space in my pack.
    This is good to know, I've been getting ready to sell my UQ to get a new one that isn't as warm so it might actually be nice to have that few degrees to add on even if there is no actual storm. I like the idea of the pod, but don't want to have any condensation if it can be avoided. I like to sleep cool, but don't want to be "cold" if that makes sense.

Images
    This is good to know, I've been getting ready to sell my UQ to get a new one that isn't as warm so it might actually be nice to have that few degrees to add on even if there is no actual storm. I like the idea of the pod, but don't want to have any condensation if it can be avoided. I like to sleep cool, but don't want to be "cold" if that makes sense.
    I understand completely. Does your Dangerbird have a winter top cover? If so no need for a winter sock which is basicly an UQP and hammock top cover.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    my 1.1 sil UQP in warm weather (breathable)
    Donna here...
    Silnylon isn't breathable. I am not able to check right now which UQP you purchased...but if it is breathable...it isn't silnylon. The breathable UQPs are water and wind resistant not water and wind proof.

OutandBack's is a breathable made from 1.1 ripstop.
    Last edited by 2Questions; 08-15-2015 at 21:22.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Donna here...
    We highly recommend the breathable UQPs. One will most likely have condensation issues using a non breathable unless you know how to avoid them.
    Last edited by 2Questions; 08-15-2015 at 22:22.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast