Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

New 1.6oz HyperD Hammock + Underquilt Suspension

I love my Hennessy, but I wanted to try out a longer hammock (plus you gave me the DIY bug). I really like the extra length, but what really impresses me is the feeling of the HyperD. I found myself rubbing my bare legs back and forth in the hammock just because the fabric feels so awesome.

I channeled the ends securely enough to hang from, but I've been using whipping to adjust the length of the hammock.
    It started at four yards(+) and I didn't cut the fabric to length beforehand so I could play with every bit.

It looks like there's almost a foot of extra material once I had it at a length I liked.

I also played around with pulling the edges out of the gather a bit to remove the slack.

I think the knotty mod would be better. While this does work a bit, the edges feel too tight when getting in and out/sitting. Knotty makes more sense.

I found it slightly difficult to keep the gathered material oriented properly. I managed to get the seamed edges to the top and exit the gather close to where they should, but the rest isn't very organized. I've watched the vids, not sure what the trick is here yet.

I may eventually settle on a length, cut off the excess and just use channeled ends, no whipping. Perhaps that will keep the material organized better. On a side note, there was no reason for me to channel both ends. One of them is very likely going to get cut off. Also, whipping holds surprisingly well on it's own.

I'm using Dutch's cinch buckles on (diy) amsteel continuous loops. The whoopie sling ridgeline (had to be adjustable obviously) I made is attached to the cinch buckles as well (rather than the gather), giving a bit more headroom (about 5") in the hammock.

The underquilt build is explained here, just a simple rectangle - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Marathon-Build
    It has independent suspension; each corner is suspended by a different length of shock cord which puts the quilt into a slightly asymmetrical lay. The long sides do not have channels.

The ridgeline straightens out with weight in the hammock which pulls the underquilt up a bit.

The underquilt suspension goes up through a shock cord prussik on the ridgeline then over to a microbiner at the gather. This works very well, is very adjustable and the underquilt can still be easily removed. And it does have to be removed in even modestly warm weather. Even with the end channels completely slack and the ridgeline prussiks loosened all the way, it's still too warm unless a breeze is getting under the hammock just right.

So far so good. Can't wait to see if I can take 3.6oz climashield into the 30s.

I think for the tarp I'm going to get one of the new kits from RSBTR. That plus a Fronkey-ish bugnet to follow.

Thank you all for the amazing guidance.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Looks great! That diy bug is only going to grow, but it sure is enjoyable.
    I haven't seen the prussik used on the ridgeline for quilt suspension before. An ingenious idea.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    I haven't seen the prussik used on the ridgeline for quilt suspension before. An ingenious idea.
    Man- that is money right there- like the triangle thingies, but adjustable.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by vtaflyer View Post
    Man- that is money right there- like the triangle thingies, but adjustable.
    I've been doing this for a while using mitten hooks and cordlocks so each corner is adjustable. Works great.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thank you! I'm pretty sure that this idea is not original though. I'm pretty sure I saw it around here somewhere.

A little update - The ridgeline had to go back to being attached to the gather on the foot end so that the stuff sack could happily live on the suspension. On the head end, the ridgeline is still attached to the cinch buckle, so there's still plenty of added headroom.

What's the proper term for a sack that lives on the suspension?
    Mine is a DIY round-bottom (those are the best) single-sided stuff sack that has a reinforced hole in the bottom where the foot-end suspension exits. The bag just stays there on the foot end, and that cinch buckle stays on the outside of the bag all the time. Is this a bishop bag?

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I finally spent the night out in the woods in the new hammock.
    I haven't made a bugnet yet, which was fine (no skeeters), but it made me slightly paranoid about creepy crawlies falling on me from the trees. So I wore my Coleman head-net thingy since it's all I had.

The trees on Mt. Pinos are huge. My 12' straps barely made it around (actually had to lengthen one).

My only issue was my top quilt (just an opened up mummy bag) kept wanting to slide out of the hammock near my shoulder. I'd wake up and a good bit of it would be dangling out of the hammock down to the ground. The foot end wanted to do this too, but was much easier to control with my feet being in it.

I'm thinking now that a Fronkey style net won't help this issue. Does it hold a top quilt in with the bottom cinched up enough?

Besides a zippered bugnet, what are the solutions? (I'm willing to do this, but total newb to sewing zippers.)
    Knotty mod must help, but is it a solution?
    Snaps? Velcro? Clothes pins?

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadinsb View Post
    I finally spent the night out in the woods in the new hammock.
    I haven't made a bugnet yet, which was fine (no skeeters), but it made me slightly paranoid about creepy crawlies falling on me from the trees. So I wore my Coleman head-net thingy since it's all I had.

The trees on Mt. Pinos are huge. My 12' straps barely made it around (actually had to lengthen one).

My only issue was my top quilt (just an opened up mummy bag) kept wanting to slide out of the hammock near my shoulder. I'd wake up and a good bit of it would be dangling out of the hammock down to the ground. The foot end wanted to do this too, but was much easier to control with my feet being in it.

I'm thinking now that a Fronkey style net won't help this issue. Does it hold a top quilt in with the bottom cinched up enough?

Besides a zippered bugnet, what are the solutions? (I'm willing to do this, but total newb to sewing zippers.)
    Knotty mod must help, but is it a solution?
    Snaps? Velcro? Clothes pins?
    Zippered bugnet is probably the only foolproof way of containing the TQ. Knotty mod will help some. Some people sew a mesh triangle on the hammock at the point where their feet and shoulder rest. I think Sgt Rock has this on his ghost hammock. Probably some other creative solutions.

• + New Posts