WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would say though to be very careful

The amok getting in you tend to rock it quite a bit - not good in the turtle dog stand unless you like stake it down

I'm laying in it comfy right now

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I hung indoors for a bit tonight - the turtle dog I was worried at first but really is quite stable now that I been rocking around in it

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, theClark5
    Tarp
    JRB 11 x 10
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    Hello all,
    I just bought in to this Kool-Aid also. I can't wait to get this and try it out. I bought it 2 days ago and it's sitting at the UPS distribution center just miles away from me now. I'll have to wait until Monday to get it delivered. I lucked out and found a good buy on a Exped Synmat 7 for only $111.71 shipped at "Backcountry.com" and hopefully that will show up Monday or Tuesday as well.
    As someone that always sleeps on my side this seemed to be the perfect hammock for me.
    Well, except for the length. I'm 6'1" and 250 lbs so I'm hoping that I don't feel too cramped. I wish that I was able to try this out first before purchase. And It looks like that may have been a possibility at the Lighthouse and Lobster hang a few weeks back. As I see a couple of guys on this thread that were also there. But I think Gil had his T-bird hammock with him for that hang, and I don't know what Flash had there but my guess was this Amock. But I was (and still am) totally new to all this and did not really know anyone as that was my first (and only) hang ever. I used a WB BB XLC for that hang but could not get comfortable at all and never could fall asleep in it. I ended up bailing out (actually falling out while reaching for my sweat pants on the ground - that was the last straw) at 4 AM; and then slept in my truck.
    I think that I will have way better luck with this Amock. Just wish I discovered this sooner.
    The other 90 degree designs like this don't impress me, what with all those lines coming down. Maybe I'd just have to try it, but I figure I'd have those lines tangled up in no time.
    Thank you Flash for posting the email you got from Jonas! It leads me to believe pretty strongly that the longer version for tall guys is not going to be coming out anytime in the near future. So that will save me a long wait time.
    Worst case if I feel too cramped I will return it to Amock w/in the 30 days. Or if I keep it longer just sell it here on HF on the for sale section.
    I'm thinking though that if I am too cramped I may just try and extend and expand the footbox of it a bit.
    Just doesn't seem that complicated to me to do. I see where Jonas says that it would extend past the end of the air matress. So what? I don't think my feet are that heavy . So to just extend it and put a seating pad (or partial pad) down at the footbox seems real do-able to me. They do that with gathered end hammocks
    Like I said, I sleep on my side all the time and almost always have my legs in a pulled up semi fetal position. So I don't think it will make much difference to me anyway about the length.
    I don't care about the weight. I am only going to car, canoe, and motorcycle camp with it anyway. I'm too old and too beat up to throw packs on my back and go off hiking. The heart knees and lungs just plain refuse to put up with my foolishness anymore. They just say NO. LOL

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think at 73 inches you will be fine - much taller would be a question

Setting up my amok is super easy

I love sleeping in my XLC though and I would not give up yet in gathered end hammocks

I have not yet slept in my amok but will soon enough

I've been enjoying it lounging so much

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    At 6'1",250# you are definitely on the fence. I'm those exact measurements but have a bad foot and can't deal with the pressure on my foot. I hope it works for you!

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I sleep on my side my knees are bent slightly...I don't sleep on my side stick-straight. So if you do sleep with knees bent then 6'1" should be OK.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, theClark5
    Tarp
    JRB 11 x 10
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    I'm hoping that it just fits me. But I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the encouraging words.
    If not, I may force the issue and just try and mod mine. I'm thinking pull the stitching off the end piece, put in a 3 inch strip extension piece with maybe a piece of matching sized seat pad type foam sewn onto that, sew that on; and then have a Coke and a smile so to speak. In the direct words of Jonas it doesn't look like a larger version is going to be available anytime in the near future at all.

Upon checking to see if my Exped Synmat 7 had been shipped out and when it was due to arrive I discovered 2 things. One that they had not shipped it yet ; and 2 that I can give others a $10 discount on a $100 or more order if I refer them. So anyone wanting to get a really good deal on one of those Exped Synmat 7 LW at $111.71 - PLUS another $10 off, so just barely above $100 feel free to contact me and send me your info so I can "refer you". I'll be happy to spread the good luck around.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Hammeck Envy-S, Amok,
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    CBs or whoopies
    I tried my new Amok 3.0 out this weekend. I used it with an Exped 7. I am just just over 6'1" and it is going to take some fiddling to try and make this work for me. I definitely feel I am at the upper range - if not too tall for it.

I am a side sleeper and was hoping for a more comfortable flatter lay. I played around with the air pressure a bit but I think I may need to go lower. It is hard to estimate, but I would guess I was at about 50 -60% inflated. It felt like the mat was bunching up in the middle causing a ridge near the middle. I started off the night without the net in place. I figured it was a little to cold for the mosqs but I was wrong. Mid morning they came around so I zipped up the net. Unfortunately the net was too close to my head and I had not treated the Amok with permethrin yet. I ended up using an inflatable pillow to help keep the net up off my head. I made it through the night, but it was not a real restful night. I do like the design. I hope I can make it work.

amokmed.jpg
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    HammockTent 90° 2.0
    Tarp
    SLD, Zpacks
    Insulation
    Exped, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    I have both the Exped Synmat 9 LW and UL 7 LW. Since the pad is an integral part of this hammock's structure, I think the UL 7 may not be rigid enough for all users. I'm 5'10", 170 lbs, and find the UL 7 right at the limit for proper rigidity at full inflation for my weight. The 9 is quite a bit more rigid at full inflation. These are the only mattresses which I've used in this hammock.

I would also be cautious about trying to exceed Amok's max recommended user height, which I believe is based on the user being on their back and feet pointing vertically. As a stomach sleeper, when my feet are stretched out horizontally I'm using almost all of the 77" in length these mattresses provide. As a newcomer to both hammocking and the Amok, these are a couple of observations I've had so far.
    Last edited by sandworm40; 10-14-2016 at 15:51. Reason: Changed to UL 7 LW.
    Jim Clark

• + New Posts
  • Page 48 of 89 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast