Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Big Agnes, and it's the SL, my mistake. At 1 lb. 7 oz. it was the lightest at the 4.5 R value. I just learned the SL is not made now, the SLX replaced it.
    https://www.rei.com/product/846673/b...l-sleeping-pad

https://www.rei.com/product/105158/b...x-sleeping-pad

Quote Originally Posted by Lane47 View Post
    REI Stratos was on my radar, I'll research the Q-core, who makes it?
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Strap / whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I really like my Q-core, much better than the REI Stratos. I have a regular and a UL, both are great, the UL is lighter so that's my go to.

As for the hanging height you can use the Ultimate Hang calculator, I have a similar spot and I put the straps about 6', you may want to start lower, remember the 1st rule of hammock club, hang no higher than you're willing to fall. Personally I tend to hang my Amok a little higher than my gathered end ones. I think the ruggedness and bullet proof design and build give me confidence to do so. Not that I do not have confidence in my other hammocks, but they are not as robust in design and use lighter materials.

And I haven't had it spit me out just yet.
    I used a hang calculator, without the Amok, I guessed at Hammock length (which is actually width) at 90 inches. Provided me very low hang point of 49".
    I'll wait on receipt of Amok, but anyone with input, please advise.
    I will be mounting rings on my porch, so I need to know accurate hang height.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane47 View Post
    I used a hang calculator, without the Amok, I guessed at Hammock length (which is actually width) at 90 inches. Provided me very low hang point of 49".
    I'll wait on receipt of Amok, but anyone with input, please advise.
    I will be mounting rings on my porch, so I need to know accurate hang height.
    If you watch this video you can see he wraps the trees well over his head for this fairly short tree distance. Not sure the 30% rule is that important for this type of hammock. Just tweak it until you find your height.
    I like to hang mine so when sitting up I can lean forward to get my cookpot and my feet touch the ground while in the footbox.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    At 66, and a full year with the AMOK, I have still not mastered the whole sit on the folded pad and let it pop back out between your legs thing. [I think I'm also a little afraid of stressing the pad to the popping point.]

So, I'm with Shug on the idea of wanting to have my feet comfortably touch the ground when I'm seated. It lets me lean forward to do things, and more importantly, it lets me straddle my pad and pull the foot-end forward between my legs until I can comfortably sit down into the hammock.
    My way... and we all HYOH.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    At 66, and a full year with the AMOK, I have still not mastered the whole sit on the folded pad and let it pop back out between your legs thing. [I think I'm also a little afraid of stressing the pad to the popping point.]

So, I'm with Shug on the idea of wanting to have my feet comfortably touch the ground when I'm seated. It lets me lean forward to do things, and more importantly, it lets me straddle my pad and pull the foot-end forward between my legs until I can comfortably sit down into the hammock.
    yeah i never got the hang of that whole fold and sit thing either. i pull it between my legs as i sit. much easier.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Strap / whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post

Ditto to all of that, even my age of 66! My porch floor is not padded, even a drop of 18" is not part of plan!

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Strap / whoopie
    image.jpgimage.jpgQuestion for anyone with the newer version of Amok and larger footbox.
    Can you please look at attached picture.
    What is the distance between your zipper and the seam parallel to the zipper?
    See the two light green lines almost parallel lines, how long on your Amok with larger footbox?
    Better yet, in center of footbox, distance from zipper to seam, see picture with wide tape.
    Many thanks
    Last edited by Lane47; 07-24-2016 at 21:22.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    just measured mine. I laid both the 2015 and 2016 next to each other. he definitely added material to the 2016. I measured all three panels that make up the length of the foot box.

2015 (green one) top panel= 12 1/2", end panel, 12", bottom panel 5 1/2".

2016 (rusty red) top panel= 14", end panel 13", bottom panel 5 1/2".

tried to load photos but getting an invalid link error.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The longer one aren't due out till later this year and I have problems understanding how those small increases really make that much of a difference. I would still have not use the hammocks foot box if using my TQ. I'm still going to wait for the longer Amok.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    The longer one aren't due out till later this year and I have problems understanding how those small increases really make that much of a difference. I would still have not use the hammocks foot box if using my TQ. I'm still going to wait for the longer Amok.
    it merely made the foot box more roomy. the material for the top panel seems a bit wider. I didn't think to measure width. if it's wider material sewn onto the same width structure as the older models, it'll have more room vertically also. But I agree, it's not enough to accommodate a taller person. Just more wiggle room in the foot box. Probably inspired by the need for more room for quilt foot boxes and sleeping bags down there.
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 38 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast