DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob3E View Post
    So you can use the XLC and the Handy Hammock? I thought the XLC was too long. That could tip the scales for me. I don't feel like I need the extra space, but the removable/replaceable bugnet/topcover sounds really nice.
    Can and did!
    The limiting factor is the cordage that runs between the two bases that each pole goes into, in that picture I'm using a tree and one base.

I'm thinking about cutting the cordage and replacing it with some Zing-It that is a bit longer to suit my XLC. However, I'm also thinking that it is quite rare to need both poles anyway. I don't usually find two suitable trees in camping grounds around here, but it would be rare to find no trees or poles or posts or anything else that I could attach one end to. Most of the time I'll be able to utilise a tree and use one of the Handy Hammock poles for the other end. I used the tree for the foot end because I wanted that higher and the Handy Hammock pole for the other end.
    I think I'll replace the cordage regardless, I can't think of a reason not to. There is bound to be that one site I go to where I have to use both poles.

For the tarp I used the tree at one end and one of my REI adjustable tarp poles for the other end.
    For porch mode I used the other REI adjustable tarp pole + a hiking pole - different heights are not a problem, in fact that is an advantage if it rains because it prevents water from pooling.

My roll-top duffel bag cost around fifty bucks and is big enough for all my poles (Handy Hammock stand, REI adjustable tarp poles, hiking poles & tarp poles) as well as all my other gear. I strap that bag to the back of my camping vehicle and I'm good to go:

I've yet to see any other hammock stand that will fit in that bag, so for me the Handy Hammock stand is the only option I've got if I don't want to take an inflatable mat to allow for sleeping on the ground. I didn't spend what I have spent to end up sleeping on the ground like an animal!!!!!!!

Whether in a WB, Hennessey or other brand of hammock the trick is to be able to use it where you want to and gain that level of comfort so you can get a good nights sleep, my setup is about right for me and I'm much happier to go camping knowing I'll not wake up achy and still tired.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeDangle View Post
    6'2". With the XLC footbox, it doesn't feel as squeezed as the HH Expl.

One of the big differences is that I'm finding the side zip so much more convenient. My HH is an old one, from the time when the bottom entry was the only option. Getting in and out from this is so much more of a schlep in comparison with the zip. With the XLC I can throw a lot of stuff onto the shelf, get in and then get organized more elegantly than with the bottom entry and a ridgline crammed with dangling gear getting in the way.

I'm finding that the double layer XLC is a far better system than the HH supershelter - this may be a function of the bottom entry, perhaps the zip version HH is more efficient.

Is this the start of a mid life crisis - wanting to be with sleek, we'll cut younger version? What's the next warning signs? Titanium accessories? Juggling on a unicycle?
    So you know in relationships where you start dumping allot of money. The Jewelry equivelent is you dumping a bunch of dutchware on her. It is only a matter of time man. So embrace the dutch.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Get a WBBB. You won't regret it.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Warbonnet Blackbirds vs. Hennessey Hammocks

I have a hennessy, but I want a blackbird

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have one of each.They both have features that I do like.The WBBB is a bit lighter and easier to hang from my perspective so that's the one in the pack.Of course I could have converted the HH to whoopies or buckles but
    I wanted the shelf and the zipper plus the pocket for the pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567