Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    The folks who own a Hennessy will like a Hennessy. The folks who own a Warbonnet will like a Warbonnet.
    I have a couple HH's because that was the only camping hammock available many years ago - Great hammocks and I like/still use them.
    But, if shopping today I would buy 'Made in USA' and support the cottage industry.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 08-16-2015 at 14:30.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is a bit more detail on the Warbonnet XLC.......
    Shug

Do you like the Blackbird or the Blackbird XLC better? And why? Thanks!

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    I really like my HH's. If you buy one that's sized correctly for you (ie. don't buy an Expedition if you're tall) you should have no problem being comfortable. The small asym tarps are great for cutting weight if weather conditions don't require huge coverage. These days you can substitute the much bigger Hex instead of the asym for free - that's good value for a lot of coverage. $80 is darn cheap for a tarp with removable doors (Monsoon) - Warbonnet charges $75 just for tarp doors alone. The hammocks are a hair heavier material-wise, but they're also very sturdy and tough. Supershelters are downright cheap for the lightweight insulation they give you, and as much as I love my down underquilts, if I was on a super-tight insulation budget the SS would be a great option.

There are some things that HH does better than anybody else. As much as the Classic entry style is much maligned compared to a zip for versatility, if you're in a horrible buggy place with a billion mosquitos waiting to suck you dry, the Classic will do a much, much better job at keeping the bugs out during entry compared to a zip. Personally, all of my HH's are Classics that I've added a zip to - the best of both worlds and I wish they could be ordered that way. 3/4-length UQs work extremely well with the classic entry as well.

This might be a bit heretical, but I'm a fan of fiddling with gear (whoopies, straps, hardware, etc.) and last weekend I was showing a friend how to set up his new Explorer UL. I was struck by the fact that the stock suspension was pretty darn fast and easy to deal with. One knot per line, no hardware, no fiddling and it was ready to go. Clip on the tarp, yank on the prusiks and you're all set up. Sure the tarp tension will be less than ideal, but it'll keep you dry and you can't match it for simplicity.

That's not to say that Warbonnets aren't great - they are! But Hennessys have been around forever and have the benefit of a very well-developed system. A lot of their gear is very budget-friendly if you're OK with the slightly heavier, tougher materials.
    Last edited by CatSplat; 08-16-2015 at 12:34.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I started my hammocking in a HH expedition. After several years I switched to a Blackbird spent a year of camping 2 weekends a month and was never able to get totally comfy. Just something about how the footbox holds my feet is not working for me. I now switch between my Expedition and 9 foot Sgt. Rock ghost hammock i made which all depends on the bugs. Hennessy is fully stock. I use a Superfly tho.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    C Pepper, Wht Clou
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have the Safari Asym zip from Hennessy and love it. Super comfortable. It has the bigger tarp which I would recommend getting with any of their hammocks as it has great coverage. Spent a couple days and nights in the rain and the hammock and I stayed bone dry. I added carabiners and descending rings to the suspension and setup is fast and easy. Wouldn't want to backpack with it though!
    I may get a BB XLC in the future. Pretty much nothing but good things said about them and I like built in bug nets like the BB XLC and Hennessy's have.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I own a Hennessy Expedition Asym and a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I have to say after buying a cottage vendor hammock and after discovering upgraded suspensions I really regretted my HH purchase. I actually plan on selling it.

The new HH hammocks do not have interchangeable suspension unless you do something pretty unorthodox like cutting the current string and splicing on or adapting it to attach to a whoopee sling somehow, the hammock does not lay as flat as the XLC, the tarp that comes with it is not very good and most people want to replace it for a larger, lighter weight material, the HH is extremely heavy.

I have had no complaint with my XLC. The shelf can be kind of annoying because it rides up so high you can't see out the right side of your hammock, but you know that is there before you buy it otherwise its ultimately much more comfortable to me, and much lighter.

I would recommend selling the HH and reinvesting your money into a Warbonnet Hammock or perhaps even another cottage vendor brand. You will be much happier in the end.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird, Hybird DH
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The first hammock that I bought with a integrated bugnet was a Hen. Exp. zip. Used it for a couple long trips, then handed it down and got a WBB. Now the husband is eyeing my black bird. So I plan on upgrading him to a WBB XLC then passing down the Hennesy. As you get into this hobby you go "grow" out of your gear as you hang more IMO.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great info! I'm new to hammocks as well and these two were the ones I was most interested in. I definitely think I'm leaning towards the Warbonnet now.

I also have both the HH and a BB XLC. I really like them both but intend to take the XLC on my AT thru hike next spring. Only reason is the double layer on the bottom and I really like the shelf. You can throw a ton of junk in it. I also will be using the winter covering vice the bug net when I start so that provides a good option. Supposed to give you another 10 degrees but I don't know how accurate that is. The foot box is sort of a wash for me. These are minor reasons for me. If half way thru I needed to replace the BB I would have my wife send me the HH in a heartbeat. I really like them both but if what you are doing drives you to one or the other, I believe you will be very happy either way.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug-it In View Post
    Do you like the Blackbird or the Blackbird XLC better? And why? Thanks!
    I prefer the XLC as it is a foot longer and I got thicker 1.9 fabric. Just more comfy and supportive to me.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast