Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I have tried both and I prefer my warbonnet. The HH was too hot due to the thicker material and they also lose their value immediately if you buy it new. It seems a $220 hammock is worth like $125. The tarps are so small that they require a very tight fit and if you get a bottom entry it is very awkward with an uq. The warbonnet however holds its value really well and has a better design imo. The footbox helps you naturally find the right lay and the shelf holds everything you need and more. in the night I never have trouble finding my water or light or phone. The xlc is nice as well because you can modify it for each trip (net, no net, top cover). I did go through the same dilemma as you when I was starting out and after having a few hammocks and still owning a handful, I always pack up the blackbird for my trips.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I have the HH Explorer delux and the WB BB XLC Double and like them both. I bought the WB as it was double layered and allowed for the use of a under pad. However, I now have a Hammock Gear under quilt and still use both. Note I have switched out the suspension to buckle on the HH.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I understand that a lot of folks really really like the WBBB, and I'm guessing that the footbox is a big part of it. I'd only suggest a couple of things that the Hennessy Hammock has going for it:

1. It's a complete system, and as such works pretty well and is fairly simple and easy to use.
    2. The Super Shelter is actually a pretty good way to get down in temperature (3 seasons, at least) without spending a lot of $$ on an underquilt.

I have both the Hennessy system as well as a VERY roomy BIAS hammock with a HG underquilt and tarp. I enjoy both systems, but really continue to appreciate the simplicity of the integrated system from HH.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    People who post YouTube links without comment as an answer should be beheaded as a public service. Putting out a YouTube video does not make anyone anything but somebody with an opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

No one I know in the group I camp with thinks there is anything wrong with tying knots therefor they have no problem with rope as a hammock hanging method. They do regard adding things like whoopie's as putting on a fiddly nuisance. I will say we are all over 60 so you can consider that too. If we go to anything it's straps. That sort of rules out *requiring* added cost on a Hennessy. You can save a few ounces if you are that worried about it.

Speaking of Hennessy, they are priced to sell retail. If any of the cottage vendors want to sell retail they need to make their list price roughly 1.5-2 times their current price to cover the retailer. That is just a fact of life. Stores do not run for free. Imagine what that would do to the cost of a Blackbird. ;-)

Other than that as folks have said, it's a moot argument. Run with whatever you can get.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Lol. Well please don't behead me. I posted my opinion earlier in the thread and then shared a link I found last night

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Speaking of Hennessy, they are priced to sell retail. If any of the cottage vendors want to sell retail they need to make their list price roughly 1.5-2 times their current price to cover the retailer. That is just a fact of life. Stores do not run for free. Imagine what that would do to the cost of a Blackbird. ;-)
    Well, to me that says that I'll get much better value for money buying from a cottage vendor rather than paying retail for a more commercial model.
    It is my intention to buy a Blackbird XLC once I have the spare money, though there are some other items ahead of it on the list including a superfly tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    There's certainly nothing wrong with the HH system. As someone else mentioned, you can get a complete setup-hammock, tarp, and UQ (supershelter) for about half of what you would spend elsewere. The SS doesnt compact as well as a UQ, of course, and the total weight is a bit heavier-but its fully functional. I sold my HH with the SS to a member here who, as I recall, was using it to finish up an AT through hike. That was years ago. There are thousands of HH users that are quite happy with their rigs. Just as there are thousands of WBBB users that are happy with theirs.
    One thing I do notice is that HH users tend to largely leave their gear stock (at least, from what I have seen and read here). Whereas WB users tend to always be trying out this, that, something else, etc. Fiddling with their equipment. I would associate this more with Victory vs Harley.
    A Victory is a great motorcycle-one you have to do nothing to, but change the oil. A Harley, people tinker with. ALL the time. Regardless of whether its needed or not

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    The SS doesnt compact as well as a UQ, of course, and the total weight is a bit heavier-but its fully functional.
    Actually the HH SuperShelter is a lighter system when comparing apples to apples. The HHSS weighs less than my 20* partial down under quilt along with a breathable under quilt protector.

The HHSS develops a little condensation on the mylar blanket (not included) and is a little bulkier (good luck getting it back into its stuff sack). It does provide full length insulation and fits like a glove when properly installed. I trust the HHSS to 20* which I call three season, what others call winter and what a few call a nice Spring day.
    Last edited by Roche; 08-16-2015 at 08:59. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is a bit more detail on the Warbonnet XLC.......
    Shug

Shug watching that video helped me decide to buy my BB. Great detailed information. But I choose not to get the XLC model. Thanks for sharing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast