WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing

Hello from Raleigh, NC

So I have wanted to get into backpacking for a long time and finally decided I only live once and am taking the plunge. My wife and I love day-hiking but she has never been camping before. We walked into our local REI to get an idea of gear and she saw the ENO hammocks and said "I would much rather backpack with a hammock where the bugs on the ground can't get me." Hence, here I am. Being the researcher I am, I began searching for info about hammocks and found this great site. After reading a lot here and looking at different vendors I made the decision for both of us. I spent way too much money just to try this out, but from what I have seen in the classified section of the forum, I can make most of my money back reselling gear if either of us do not like it. I ended up ordering 2 Warbonnet Blackbird single 1.7's, 2 Mamajamba tarps, and 2 Hammock Gear Incubator 20 under quilts. We both have 30 degree synthetic (cheap) sleeping bags that will use as top quilts until I save enough money to purchase some nice Hammock Gear top quilts. I wanted to order one Darien Dream hammock and one WBBB but I was not interested in the 7-8 week wait for the Dream hammock, so maybe next year. I did not realize how expensive this could be, Dutchware adds up quickly haha...

Anyway, enough about what I have ordered. I am looking forward to getting out there and doing some real mileage compared to day-hikes. Trying to plan a weekend trip to Linville Gorge. If anyone would like to offer a good overnight loop in NC or VA for a beginner to get me ready for Linville Gorge, that would be awesome.

I look forward to meeting new people and hope to meet some people looking for others to hike with because I am pretty sure I am going to want to go much more often than my wife and not so sure solo backpacking is for me yet.

Also wanted to give a shout out to Shug and Sintax77. I know Shug is a member of the site but I am not sure about Sintax77, however their Youtube videos have really helped me tremendously.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Spend $10 or so more and get the book Backpacking North Carolina by Joe Miller. It is my go to.
    A few choices... Wilson Creek, South Mountain State Park, Uwharrie Natl forest.
    My YouTube channel has some videos from my various trips to places in the SE.
    Enjoy your time backpacking. I got back into a few years ago and it is money well spent, even though it hurts upfront.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Greetings from a fellow Raleighite! You made great choices, can't go wrong with any of them. With experience you can fine tune, sell/trade for other alternatives. Check out my fellow "Gorge Rats" Forum for Linville Gorge info and news:
    http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness from down on the coast.

You got some very good gear there to start off with. Several group hangs coming up this fall near you....Jordan Lake, Hot Springs, Merchants Mill Pond, Yates Place and Grayson Highlands in Virginia ( a favorite of The Terminator and me ) and the Fall Sprawl in South Carolina ( good bunch of people there ).

The Neusiok Trail down here on the coast is a great place to hike and hang once the weather cools off and the bugs die off ( I have just moved the web site Neusioktrail.org to a new hosting service and I am having some technical issues with the images do not want to play nice now ). Contact Tacoma95 who lives in Clayton and he can fill you in on all the hiking areas around Raleigh
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WL Lightowl/snipe, Dutch/hammocks
    Tarp
    Tadpole Bdaddy OMW
    Insulation
    WL Winter/ SS
    Suspension
    Hug/whoopie/Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Roxboro, NC. I agree with TallPaul. Check out his channel..Good local trips.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks for the replies. TallPaul, I will check out your videos. Gunner76, how do I find out more information regarding the group hangs and what they are all about?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Go to "Outings....Southeast" here on the forum and start looking.

Group hangs is when a bunch of hangers will get together to camp out and show off our gear, have a good time ect. Lots of fun and most times some good food.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    You will definitely want to go to the group hangs, especially if your wife is on the fence about lots of camping. Just be sure Hotlips and Kingsford are at the hang. Their food will secure the deal. I will warn you, it can be quite addicting. Also, Gunner may have forgotten a few examples of hangs in his signature.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Welcome to the forum great hiking opportunities here. The next hike we are planning is on 23 August.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Hi and welcome to the forums. I also recommend attending a group hang. Lots of fun to meet fellow hangers.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast