Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hexon 4.6 VS HyperD 1.6?

Can someone with experience with both of these fabrics compare/contrast for me? I'm trying to make a decision on a fabric for a long (11.5') single-layer gathered-end hammock. I am 6'2", 220lb and my only experience with hammocks prior to this is with my HH Explorer A-Sym and my wife's ENO SN. Don't care for the taffeta, and I'm looking for something lighter and more comfortable than my HH that will pack smaller.

EDIT: should be Hexon 1.6, obviously.
    Last edited by themicahmachine; 08-13-2015 at 13:52. Reason: fat fingers

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Haven't felt HyperD but both my wife and myself just picked up Hexon1.6 hammocks from dutch. My wife shops for her clothes by feel and once she laid in my Hexon1.6 hammock she immediately ordered herself one. I have to say this fabric is wonderfully against the skin. I'd best explain it as a cross between the feel of cotton and your eno taffeta. Its basically soft to the touch. I ditched my M50 6oz hammock to switch to the Hexon1.6 at twice the weight just because it felt so much better and well a couple other reason like durability and the fact that I have packed on a few extra pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by barbermike View Post
    Haven't felt HyperD but both my wife and myself just picked up Hexon1.6 hammocks from dutch. My wife shops for her clothes by feel and once she laid in my Hexon1.6 hammock she immediately ordered herself one. I have to say this fabric is wonderfully against the skin. I'd best explain it as a cross between the feel of cotton and your eno taffeta. Its basically soft to the touch. I ditched my M50 6oz hammock to switch to the Hexon1.6 at twice the weight just because it felt so much better and well a couple other reason like durability and the fact that I have packed on a few extra pounds.
    Thanks! That about makes the decision for me (also that I can get it sewn for another $10 and not have to bother with it). Dutch rates the Hexon 1.6 at 350lb. Would you trust it to hold two people, temporarily, with a combined weight of about 375? Or is that 350 rating very close to it's ultimate failure load? It would be great if the wife and I could share one hammock to sit together and eat, and then split up for sleeping. If you would be skittish about putting 375 in the 1.6 I may consider taking the ~5oz weight penalty by going to the 2.4.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    To be honest I got the Hexon1.6 hammock last week and have only had one chance to lay in it so far. I'd ask Dutch about the weight. I haven't used it enough to figure out its limits yet. Personally I just uses a little foot pad/sit pad when eating and chill on the ground or a log. Not really one to sit and eat in my hammock.
    Last edited by barbermike; 08-13-2015 at 15:10.

Yeah I wouldn't plan on sleeping two people in it but I thought it would be nice to be able to sit together. Maybe I should borrow a buddy's DN to see how much we really enjoy it before I start making that my design criteria.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah try it out before you design around it. You might find it works for you or goes horribly wrong, haha

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I too am interested.
    Some of the cottage makers are moving to Argon and Hexon and other stuff. Others are still using "just nylon ripstop".
    I'm wondering if it really makes that much difference.

Specifically I am looking at getting a Trail Lair by Simply Light Designs.
    Jared lists his 1.6 ripstop nylon for up to 200 lbs.
    Dutch has Hexon 1.6 and lists it up to 350 lbs.

Thoughts?

I bought a Hexon 1.6 from Dutch. It has a very nice feel. Much better than standard ripstop. I read that a lot of places before I bought it, but I didn't really believe it until it showed up. It is quite nice... not quite as comfortable against the skin as taffeta, but much, much better than ripstop. Not plastic feeling at all.

I have had my 220lbs in it, along with my 40lbs daughter, and it felt very secure. Next time it's up I'll get my wife to sit with me, which will take the weight to about 370. I don't expect any issues. I'm 6'2" and this is the first hammock, at 11' long, that I've been in that feels like it really fits me. I really do recommend the Hexon hammock from Dutch, and don't bother ordering material to DIY. If you pay the ~$10 extra to have it pre-hemmed, you get a neat double-ended stuffsack big enough to hold the hammock, a bug net, and a sil tarp, plus all the hems are factory-perfect. Best hammock related money I've spent yet.

Just wanted to update - Put a child in my Hexon 1.6 with myself and my wife. That's 390lbs total. No problems... though it was starting to feel "tight" at that point. Probably wouldn't push the 1.6 much over 400 with care and Dutch's 350lb rating seems to have a good safe margin on it.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    I just ordered a sample of both. The HyperD is a little softer, but the Hexon is much stronger.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast