Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles

What kind of fabric is this??

I found this fabric at WM for a dollar a yard but I have no idea what it is (to be honest I am very new to DIY so the only fabric I can pick out is ripstop nylon)

It is soft on one side, almost like a micro fiber, and is shiny on the other side. It seems to weigh very little and does not stretch a lot if any.

I will post some better photos later but I wasn't sure if anyone knew what this material is.

hammock.jpg

The spots on the fabric are from the slight rain that was falling when I tested out my first hammock.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Just out of curiosity, would you give us a total weight on the hammock? ...no suspension

[they would probably weigh it for you down at the post-aficational oriface]
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have often found polyester at Walmart. I think it was originally intended for jacket liners. It looked like it had ripstop but it was a checkered print or weave.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    I will take it with me to the farm and see if I can get a weight tonight with our produce scales.

Here are a few more photos of the fabric up close.

IMG_20150922_161226.jpg matte color side, soft
    IMG_20150922_161239.jpg glossy side, very smooth but not as soft to the touch.
    IMG_20150922_161254.jpg edge shot, I wasnt sure if you could tell by the fibers

I have 20 yards of the stuff so it will be used for something...

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I think I may have found the same stuff at the local WM here.

Does the "glossy" side have an almost rubbery texture, a slightly "uglier" greenish color, and show scuff marks easily?

I don't know what it is either, but if you have the same stuff I had, it is almost waterproof. I put about a cup of water into a piece of it like a bag and it held it for over 30 seconds while I was trying to force the water through by kneading the fabric below the waterline. After the water finally penetrated it was only a one drip ever few seconds.

I thought this would make a great though heavier tarp if it were treated with with a DIY Sil solution. I had high hopes of a cheap winter tarp with doors , but alas when I went back to buy up their entire stock there were only a few scraps left. The fabric guru there said it was from an unknown source and the label on the bolt said the fabric type was unknown. I was assured the odds of seeing it on the shelf again were as good as zero.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    I guess it does sort of have a greenish tint to it. I also tried to scuff the glossy side with a finger nail but I am not sure if I would call it a scuff. However the glossy side does have a sort of rubbery texture. I also tried to see if it was water proof by putting it over a glass of water and turning it upsidedown. The water would slowly drip out like you said one every few seconds, so I am not sure if this is a good material to make a tarp. If it is I will go back and buy another 20 yards. Also I was able to weigh the hammock at the farm and it came in at 11.6oz with 7/16th amsteel 8" continous loops and the hammock length at about 10.5 ft.

Thanks for the responses on this. I am planning on making two more smaller hammocks for my nephews but wanted to make certain that it wasn't the wrong material to be using. It held me fine and I'm about 6'1" 160lbs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by RutherfordTheBrave View Post
    [...] However the glossy side does have a sort of rubbery texture. I also tried to see if it was water proof by putting it over a glass of water and turning it upsidedown. The water would slowly drip out like you said one every few seconds, so I am not sure if this is a good material to make a tarp. If it is I will go back and buy another 20 yards. [...]
    Must be the same stuff I saw. Untreated it wouldn't make a very good tarp, but since its already water resistant, it might be a good candidate for a diy waterproofing like discussed in this thread make your own sil. I only have a yard of it and am going to try weatherproofing it and making a spare pack cover.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    Just read through the make your own sil thread. I might have to give this a shot over the next few weeks. Looks like I'll be headed back to WM to purchase the remaining inventory.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by RutherfordTheBrave View Post
    Just read through the make your own sil thread. I might have to give this a shot over the next few weeks. Looks like I'll be headed back to WM to purchase the remaining inventory.
    I dug through the clearance fabrics at WM again and found 5yds of the same stuff, though I was hoping for at least 8 (2 4yd strips) to make a tarp with doors. I don't really need another hex tarp so now I'm not sure whether to make a hammock or hold out and hope to find the fabric again. You couldn't spare a few yards could you?

Have you spent a night in your hammock? I'm wondering if there might be any condensation problems with using this stuff since it doesn't breathe much.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ- Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    It's probably a cotton polyester blend since it is softer on one side. I have never found good hammock material at walmart. You have to be careful what you buy there because I have seen fabric that looks good but is made of unknown materials. Always check the label and if it doesn't tell you what it is made from then I would pass on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast