Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie Setup Suggestions

Hello Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the hammock scene, however I really want to sleep in a hammock during future backpacking trips. I'm looking for a hammock that is simple and not too expensive. The ENO Doublenest isn't too popular here, but my friend has one and recommends it. I am also looking for an insulation pad; I'm not willing to spend a lot of money on an UQ yet. The WB Superfly seems to be a good tarp for the price, so I'm edging towards that. Please give my your suggestions on hammocks and pads! Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch & DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    H. Anchors, Straps
    Don't make the mistake of getting an ENO setup like I did. I have since replaced all my ENO gear for our vendors gear and am way more satisfied in quality, durability, weight and options.

As far as ENO you're going to spend $70 on the hammock. $5 on a ridge line. $30 on suspension. Total $105.

I'd go with Dutch gear. No net hammock $35. Dutch cinch buckle suspension $40. Ridge line $6. Total $81.

Save yourself $24 and half the weight on go Dutch. Or use that saved cash and upgrade to the whoopie hook suspension (I prefer).
    Formerly known as - SloGo

Hammock
    Dutch & DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    H. Anchors, Straps
    As far as pads. Before I did a DIY underquilt I used the cheap Walmart blue pads down to 35-40 degrees comfortably. I'm sure better pads would get you lower but I don't have experience with them.
    Formerly known as - SloGo

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Welcome to hammocking!!
    The ENOs are a totally fine starting hammock option. Coupled with a Wally blue pad and you have an inexpensive base that you can then start to tweak and add to. The ENOs are pretty much identical to many other entry brands on the market. They are a little heavier, so you may find that you want to replace it for something lighter with a built in bug net and all the other bells and whistles, later. I say if getting an ENO will get you out hammock camping, then GO FOR IT!

Another option is to find a local group of hammock'ers and have a try out session. Most of us are willing to share and demo and let newbies try them out.

My best to you.
    cKayt--

P.S. You can't go wrong with the WB SuperFly. It's a fantastic tarp.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Z-Packs DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    If I were to build a starter kit with all I've learned in the past few years... Probably a Grand Trunk Ultralight, Reflectix insulation and a tarp with doors, for bug protection tuck your bag under you and wear a head net or get a bug sock.

GTUL = cheap,light, durable (upgrade suspension to whoopies & toggles)
    Reflectix because I found the Wally blue pads to be to grippy. I would move and my clothing would stay making it uncomfortable. I still used the cut down blue pad for wings under my shoulders.
    Spend your money on a good tarp W/doors up front. Going from tent to tarp my biggest concerns were the loss of privacy and perceived lack of protection for gear and from the weather.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There are now options for full beginner kits. Check it out.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...mock_Kits.html
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    WATELLJ- I started out with a Grand Trunk double [almost the same as the ENO, but a little longer], and as soon as I found the forums here I made my own whoopie slings and continuous loops to upgrade the suspension.
    That said, I'm kind of mixed in suggesting mega manufacturers versus the "cottage" industry folks here on the site.

I think your best bet is to read as much of this forum as you can over the next few days or a couple of weeks. I think you'll answer your own questions.
    G'Luck and welcome..

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd stay away from ENO hammocks - too short and too expensive and you'll just have to invest in a proper ridgeline and suspension, which will end up costing you more than you would spend on a Dutch hammock anyway. I know your friend recommends the ENO, but one person's word is not enough (especially if he isn't experienced).

The Warbonnet Superfly is a great tarp and very popular - you'll be happy with that. As for a pad, I'd just get a cheap Wally World blue ccf pad. No need to invest in an inflatable pad that will be 1/3 the cost of an underquilt (which you will probably end up buying anyway).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    The, only slightly more expensive, alternative to a Wally World CCF pad is the Therma-rest RidgeRest pad.
    I used one of the short versions when I was a groundhog... Not a great deal of padding but it did quite well for three season insulation since it had an aluminized/ reflective surface.
    I rounded off the corners with a pair of shears, and I have been using it in my GrandTrunkDBL with reasonable satisfaction [as a stopgap measure before I move into anything more serious].
    I don't count it as a waste at all, because when I'm done and move on, I can just cut it into a couple of dandy butt cushions to keep me off the damp logs.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you want to use a pad for the time being, I would recommend getting a double layer hammock. The double layer helps with fixing the pad where you want it. There are a couple of vendors who sell double layer hammocks: Dutchwaregear, Warbonnet, Dream Hammock, Simply Light Designs, Hammeck, Wilderness Logics, Buttinasling are the most popular ones. All of their hammocks are at least 10', most 11' long, which is +1' longer than the ENOs. You didn't mention how tall you are, but it is very likely that 9' and shorter (ENOs length) will feel less comfortable than 10' or 11'. Most people 6' and over prefer 11' hammocks.

With regards to your friend's recommendation: has he ever tried other hammocks? My guess is no. It's great that he is happy with his hammock, but as others have said, there are lighter AND cheaper options, that will likely serve you better than an ENO. Quite a few people here on the forum started with an ENO, or own one. The majority upgraded or only uses the ENO for lounging or as a loaner hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast