BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe

Hammock Anchors

So I had read about the whole problem associated with speedhooks and by basic application, the hammock anchors. Buuuttt, I hadn't read much on problems with the anchors so I still wanted to try them out for myself. I figured, hey, Dutch just wants his products to meet a certain standard of 1000 #s, but the hooks and anchors are still probably ok to use, just maybe not with 4 people in the hammock. So, I put some blue anodized Hammock Anchors on some 7/64 leads, and went to the yard to try them out. Used some tree straps and dutch clips, with a Dream Hammocks multibuckle as a replacement MSH. Adjustment was fairly simple and quick(I used the "double twist" method as recommended for users over 200 lbs (I am at 240). I laid down, and had a nice relaxing time. I got up to check everything, and noticed that the amsteel was severely shredded on the head end of the hammock. The foot end was fine, just compressed. I had hoped that the stories were exaggerated, or applied more so to the speedhooks. Perhaps the shredding is due to the anchor sliding down the amsteel as I was setting up. I never planned on using these as my main suspension, but I have a 2toutdoors backpacking chair that I wanted to the use them with. Could the shredding be due to slippage on the line before I got it fully adjusted? Or should I abandon these completely?
    Last edited by Intimidator; 08-12-2015 at 18:40.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I have used both Speed Hooks and Anchors. My sense is that the shredding is from edges not being finely finished enough.

Don't know what Dutch does to finish his but the Anchors are tumbled in a rock polisher -- just maybe not long enough.

It seems to me that compression is a problem but abrasion might be both instantly and over time.

But, and it is a big but, with too much polish there would be no friction to hold a bend.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    So should i stick some weak sand paper in the hole and try to finish it off a bit?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla28 View Post
    So should i stick some weak sand paper in the hole and try to finish it off a bit?
    I used a brass brush on my Dremel.

But put an extra half hitch on the Dynaglide lead to it.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have used my anodized Hammock Anchors from Hammock Fan several times without any problems. I have a couple of DIY anchors I cleaned up with my Dremel tool, removed the burrs and everything works fine.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    If you adopted them early, then it may be a case of finishing them. Since BIAS started carrying them, I've given away several sets and had no reports of any problems of any kind with them...nor have I experienced any problems with my own set.

YMMV
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

I use Dutch's Cinch Bugs, and they had slight burrs when they arrived (absolutely not bashing Dutch here). I cleaned them up with a cone bit on my Dremel, and now they're smooth as silk. However, I'm very careful to place my amsteel in such a way that it never slides through the slots, I think this is super important. And I switched to 1/8" amsteel because I just use a couple 8" loops, not whoopies -- hardly any weight difference at all.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I talked to HammockFan, and he seems to think that the shredding is from amsteel on amsteel. Most likely some slippage occured as I got in the hammock, causing the amsteel self abrasion. Just need to tighten up the half twist before getting in.

Images
    I sleep full time using a set of anchors. No issues thus far. This is my suspension of choice now and all my hammocks are converted over.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I was using an anchor and a speed hook, alternating nights for head and foot end on each, there is some wear on the lead from the hammock anchor but no real fraying. The speed hook was a different story... broken strands and a lot of fraying. This was after about 10 nights of use. I've switched to 2 anchors now and am still using the first lead, maybe 25 nights on it and there still isn't any real damage to the amsteel. I usually weigh between 225-235 for reference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast