Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    wbbb web / buckle

Warbonnet RidgeRunner vs JRB Bear Mountain

Hi All,

I have a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC that I like a lot, but wanted to also try side-by-side a RidgeRunner. I have read where people say they can sleep on their side in a bridge-type hammock better than they can in a gathered-end hammock, but after a 6-night motorcycle camping trip a week ago, I did not find that to be the case. In fact, the only position I could do in the RidgeRunner was flat on my back. With the Blackbird I can do all kinds of squirming and re-positioning, including side / fetal.

I should add that I prefer the "banana" position in the Blackbird over the flatter, a-symmetrical lay, but I also do a fair amount of shifting around during the night.

So I was wondering if there are any dimensional or construction differences between the RidgeRunner and the Jacks R Better Bear-Mountain hammock. Has anybody here tried both and found one to be significantly diferent from the other?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Z

I didn't sleep well in the RR either and woke up with lower back and hip pain, I have not tried a jrb but if I read right, and it has been a while the jrb is more prone to give shoulder squeeze, this is according to reviews I read.

creek

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Terminator ( my wife ) lovers her RR and prefers it to her BB. I have no trouble sleeping on either side in my BB and I am 6ft2 and 275lbs+
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have both a RR and a UL Bear Mountain. I am short so the difference in length is not a factor. I bought the Bear Mountain first, I decided I really liked sleeping in a bridge hammock. I purchased the RR because I wanted something a bit shallower.

For me part of the shoulder squeeze issue is where I position my body and how I hang the bridge. It required a few hangs before I figured out how to hang the ULBM so I did not become uncomfortable.

I like being able to see out of my hammock, since the ULBM is a little deeper than the RR I do not have as much of a view. Also one bridge is wider than the other.

If you are a "Bridge" type person, there is a big difference. As usual it comes down to personal taste. My friend hates her RR and loves everything about the JRB BM. I like my WB NETLESS RR. I sold my brandnew WB RR with a net, because I strongly disliked it. I am okay with the netting on my ULBM.

Another issue I have with the RR is how much open space is required to hang the hammock. Where we Hang, I frequently can not find an open space large enough for the RR.

Both hammocks are well made, materials are excellent, different, I do not believe one is better than the other, just personal taste, which ever hammock fits you the best.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 08-13-2015 at 09:08.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    I currently have a WBRR and have previously had a JRB BMBH. Like both of them.

I like the WBRR but am not a big fan of the big hour glass cut of the hammock. Its fine for back sleeping. I feel it makes it a little narrow when I try to sleep in the fetal possition. Its not terrible. The BMBH on the other hand, from what I can remember, has the hourglass but also has more fabrig that makes the walls of the hammock a little higher on the sides. I feel like it helps keep my knees contained.

I personally feel the BMBH is a better side sleeping hammock. I like the deeper cut. Something I tried today for the first time was using the WBRR without the small middle spreader bar of the head end. That gives it a slightly deeper feel. Kind of like the BMBH. I like being able to see out of the hammock and the WBRR wins that hands down. Can't see much out of the BMBH. I also like the bugnet of the WBRR a lot better. I like that it feels like its not right at your face like the bugnet of the BMBH does. I would probably buy another BMBH if I found one cheap enough. I wish they'd redo their bugnet and make it so that it can be pulled away from your face a little bit.

I also need a small pillow in the BMBH as it is very flat. In the WBRR, I don't as it has a sort of head pocket (haha) that works as a pillow or cradle for your head. Love having the side pockets on the WBRR. The pockets on the ends of the BMBH are not very functional. Too small. At least on the one I had from a few years ago.

Anyway, just a couple other things to consider.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I know your not asking about this hammock but it side sleeps really well. No fabric in your face at all. A bit on the heavier side but since you motorcycle camp it is a good option. Takes less tree spacing as well. One caveat is that the hammock is dependent on a pad for structure.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfsGdsTUTAU
    Just thought I would add it to your mix for a thought.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I know your not asking about this hammock but it side sleeps really well. No fabric in your face at all. A bit on the heavier side but since you motorcycle camp it is a good option. Takes less tree spacing as well. One caveat is that the hammock is dependent on a pad for structure.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfsGdsTUTAU
    Just thought I would add it to your mix for a thought.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

well it aint a green bean but at least its green

do you plan to pack it on the pulk this seaon?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old creek View Post
    well it aint a green bean but at least its green

do you plan to pack it on the pulk this seaon?
    Yes I do......May not get as low in temps as my pod system but I am kinda excited to camp with it in 0º and a bit below.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BMBH/WB Traveler
    Tarp
    SF
    Insulation
    Down under&top
    I'm outta place here as I've never laid in a WBRR but I have owned a BMBH for many years & wanted to address the repeated comment regarding the shoulder squeeze. I'm a stocky man with very wide shoulders. I also have a chronic bad back (even after surgery) & severe nerve issues due to it.

When I first moved to the BMBH I had the shoulder squeeze. It was alleviated using a BA air mat but it wasn't 'till one of the JrB boys informed me on how to position myself properly in the hammock that it disappeared. I also love the higher sides, yes it does restrict the view, but I use them to rest my knee of the bent leg laying on my side or more often 1/4 side turn. It also gives back support when sitting in it. I also like the higher sides in cold weather as it brings the underquilt up around you. This is not a knock on the WBRR. I love my WBT & still take naps in it. Brandon makes excellent products. Everyone's unique.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Tested a BMBH, too deep, no view and tight.
    WBRR is the one for me and I've logged over 450 nights in mine so far. No signs of wear, amazing piece of life changing gear.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast