Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I also have obstructive sleep apnea, I have a very small airway and it collapses frequently.
    I tried no cpap, yeah waking up every 30 seconds sucks
    got the brilliant idea of an inverter and I experienced the best night sleep of my life.
    as a backpacker I cant get rest without the cpap so I searched and found
    http://www.cpaptravelbatterypack.com...tery-pack.html
    I talked to my sleep doc and explained I would be gone a minimum of 2 nights and he was ok with me dropping the pressure on my old cpap to 9 which gives me a good sleep and rest along with 16 hours on my old cpap. if I used my new one I would only get 13 hours total.
    the battery weighs 1.5 lbs and the cpap is a bit heavy I haven't weighed it yet but heres the thing getting out backpacking is far better than sitting at home or at a car camping site.
    I to am trying to drop weight but in all reality I will be tethered to a cpap until im cold and dead.
    the only crappy part is I would like to hike the AT and the logistics of carry enough battery and deal with 5.5 hour recharge times im not really sure what ill do.
    I am going to hike part of the IAT to see how it works and experiment a bit with pressures. the doc is ok with me dropping to 6 which I haven't tried yet.
    best of luck and I have used my cpap going on 7 years now and life has been so much better with it. yes there is an annoying learning curve adjusting to it but it has made my life better.
    im not really sure how im going to do in the cold seasons lol

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by northmainesasquatch View Post
    I also have obstructive sleep apnea, I have a very small airway and it collapses frequently.
    I tried no cpap, yeah waking up every 30 seconds sucks
    got the brilliant idea of an inverter and I experienced the best night sleep of my life.
    as a backpacker I cant get rest without the cpap so I searched and found
    http://www.cpaptravelbatterypack.com...tery-pack.html
    I talked to my sleep doc and explained I would be gone a minimum of 2 nights and he was ok with me dropping the pressure on my old cpap to 9 which gives me a good sleep and rest along with 16 hours on my old cpap. if I used my new one I would only get 13 hours total.
    the battery weighs 1.5 lbs and the cpap is a bit heavy I haven't weighed it yet but heres the thing getting out backpacking is far better than sitting at home or at a car camping site.
    I to am trying to drop weight but in all reality I will be tethered to a cpap until im cold and dead.
    the only crappy part is I would like to hike the AT and the logistics of carry enough battery and deal with 5.5 hour recharge times im not really sure what ill do.
    I am going to hike part of the IAT to see how it works and experiment a bit with pressures. the doc is ok with me dropping to 6 which I haven't tried yet.
    best of luck and I have used my cpap going on 7 years now and life has been so much better with it. yes there is an annoying learning curve adjusting to it but it has made my life better.
    im not really sure how im going to do in the cold seasons lol
    I'm glad you have found a system that works for your backpacking. Getting out in the woods & on the water is what makes life fun. Cpap is what helps make it safe for those of us blessed with small airways.

The only thing I've learned about cold weather cpap is that a fleece hose cozy does absolutely nothing. Its all about getting the warmest air possible in your air intake without suffocating your machine. I have never tried putting the machine inside a TQ/sleeping bag, but that seems like a bad idea. I do tuck my hose inside my bag, next to my body, and it helps a tiny bit. Nose freeze is not fun.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by vxjester View Post
    I don't have one or need one yet. But just wondering if anyone has looked in to http://www.cpap.com/productpage/tran...somnetics.html I know they are new
    I have the transcend EZEX travel machine. I'm not sure if my machine is faulty or if it's normal behavior but; When I breath in it has enough pressure for the initial beginning of the breath, but then acts like it's trying to catch up and doesn't feel like it's providing enough pressure throughout the whole breath. Then when exhaling it's like I'm breathing out against a solid wall of air even with the EZEX set to it's lowest. I do have a tendency to take deep rapid breaths when trying to fall asleep, so it takes me a few seconds/minutes to get accustomed to the the machine. Once I'm accustomed to it I sleep fine throughout the night. It's really light weight and the power consumption is minimal for my needs. I power mine with a battery pack I bought on amazon. Here is my first post about it (copy and past cause I'm lazy):

"Hey guys I just purchased this little gem. I have a pressure setting of 12 and I can get four 7 hour nights out of it. I just used it on a recent backpacking trip last weekend and it performed flawlessly. Of course it's hit or miss with anything on Amazon.com but my battery was flawless out of the box. I charged it up and used it in the house for four night straight before having to recharge. It's a 52 watt hour batter pack with multiple voltage selections. I used it in conjunction with my Transcend EZEX on a voltage setting of 12V, 14V, and 19V. The transcend power plug is 19V, their transcend battery pack is 14.4V, so I really didn't know what to use the new battery pack set to. Hence the 12V, 14V, and 19V trials. It works on all three settings. The little multi-night battery pack (P8) that you can order for the transcend sucks. I can only get a maximum of ten hours out the that thing. Plus the price I thought was very reasonable, and it weighs less than 3 lbs. My overall weight on that trip for my cpap, mask, hose, both battery packs, and the pouch I carry them in only added 8 lbs. to my pack weight."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't get suckered into buying the transcend battery pack you can spend a lot less for a lot better.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by scoffman View Post
    I have the transcend EZEX travel machine. I'm not sure if my machine is faulty or if it's normal behavior but; When I breath in it has enough pressure for the initial beginning of the breath, but then acts like it's trying to catch up and doesn't feel like it's providing enough pressure throughout the whole breath. Then when exhaling it's like I'm breathing out against a solid wall of air even with the EZEX set to it's lowest. I do have a tendency to take deep rapid breaths when trying to fall asleep, so it takes me a few seconds/minutes to get accustomed to the the machine. Once I'm accustomed to it I sleep fine throughout the night. It's really light weight and the power consumption is minimal for my needs. I power mine with a battery pack I bought on amazon. Here is my first post about it (copy and past cause I'm lazy):

"Hey guys I just purchased this little gem. I have a pressure setting of 12 and I can get four 7 hour nights out of it. I just used it on a recent backpacking trip last weekend and it performed flawlessly. Of course it's hit or miss with anything on Amazon.com but my battery was flawless out of the box. I charged it up and used it in the house for four night straight before having to recharge. It's a 52 watt hour batter pack with multiple voltage selections. I used it in conjunction with my Transcend EZEX on a voltage setting of 12V, 14V, and 19V. The transcend power plug is 19V, their transcend battery pack is 14.4V, so I really didn't know what to use the new battery pack set to. Hence the 12V, 14V, and 19V trials. It works on all three settings. The little multi-night battery pack (P8) that you can order for the transcend sucks. I can only get a maximum of ten hours out the that thing. Plus the price I thought was very reasonable, and it weighs less than 3 lbs. My overall weight on that trip for my cpap, mask, hose, both battery packs, and the pouch I carry them in only added 8 lbs. to my pack weight."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't get suckered into buying the transcend battery pack you can spend a lot less for a lot better.
    I think you were the person who led me to the Qi Infinity battery. Amazon doesn't carry them anymore, but you can order them direct from the company for the same price, $219. I now have two of them, and my rafting buddy bought one as well. They work great. I have a 20 W solar panel that will boost the power up enough for one extra night with full sun for 8 hours. My buddy got the 60 W panel so he gets a better recharge. These batteries have been a lifesaver for weekend kayak touring trips, and I can also cut back on two of my 13 lb. 12V20A AGM batteries on raft trips.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."

Yeah that was me. I guess I should have looked at the link before reposting it. Man I didn't know it wasn't for sale on amazon anymore. That's cool that you can still order the battery direct from the company.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by scoffman View Post
    Yeah that was me. I guess I should have looked at the link before reposting it. Man I didn't know it wasn't for sale on amazon anymore. That's cool that you can still order the battery direct from the company.
    Yep. I was totally bummed when I went to buy a second one. But then I found the company website and the price was the same. Both my buddy & I both ordered via the website and got our battery fast with no problems. It's the best priced battery of its size & power that I've seen. My solar panel is an All Powers 20W that folds up about the size of an iPad. My buddy has the All Powers 60W that folds to about the size of a laptop.

Here's the link for the battery
    http://www.qi-infinity.com/product/p...-battery-pack/

Quote Originally Posted by nwmanitou View Post
    Thanks Sloanie,

BTW, looks like we may be neighbors.. My shop is in Sandy. The towel is about 5 or 6 inches in diameter. I am normally a side sleeper, but in my hammock I seem to always end up on my back. I've been told that I do have a deviated septum.. I think I'll look into that more fully.
    look for cpap mask for side sleepers

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Thanks to all who have posted in these threads...very informative.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4/Dutch pup tent
    Tarp
    RSBTR HEX12 DIY
    Insulation
    HG 0*/40*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Not sure if I'm posting on the most recent post but here it goes. I just purchased a https://www.minicpap.com/products/tr...-minicpap-auto about 2 lbs with 2 nights battery life, wish me luck

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123