Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The profly is 22oz. There are a lot of lighter options in that price range or slightly above.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Big Daddy; Kelty
    Suspension
    Python or Whoopies
    I own several tarps, including a Profly, and I'd have to agree with the suggestions of a Hennessy Hex. I find the Profly a bit small for my taste. As said before, it might be good for shade or a light shower, but if you want to be prepared for worse weather or have more coverage for privacy, I'd get something else.
    The Kelth Noah's 12 isn't a bad tarp at all, and is very versatile, but some people are put off by the color (a light 'putty'-grey) which can stand out a bit among the greens and browns of nature...so it might not be so great for stealth camping. It can be picked up usually for a few bucks less than a Hex...but, of course, since it is larger, it weighs more.
    The Hex is not outrageously priced for a starter tarp (I got mine from Amazon for less than $75 with free shipping), and is big enough to use with the majority of hammocks that a camper is likely to 'collect' in the future. It comes in Brown or Green (depending on the type/weight of fabric you choose) which blends in well with most surroundings. For reasons of price, color (for stealth), coverage and weight...the Hennessy Hex gets my vote this time.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit or Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LLG Longhot UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies
    I slept soundly under a WL Tadpole during a raging summer storm about two weeks ago. Thing is a work of art. I was planning to buy a second one, but a saw a ENO Profly for sale on the forum for $50. I set it up in the backyard. It's heavier than the Tadpole, and a bit of a pain to put away, BUT I can tell this thing will work for my ENO DN. I am planning to go out again on Labor Day weekend (aren't we all?) and plan to use them both. If you need a vote count, though, I would go with the Tadpole. Money is tight right now, so I can't swing it. If I could, I'd own two Tadpoles.

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Eno profly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I was wondering the same thing. Was planing on getting a eno tarp as well this weekend but now am looking at a hex rain fly. Dose the hex come with cords or do I need to get them separate.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashhang View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Was planing on getting a eno tarp as well this weekend but now am looking at a hex rain fly. Dose the hex come with cords or do I need to get them separate.
    I think it comes with cords for the tie-outs, but it doesn't come with a ridgeline.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Eno profly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Does it need a ridgeline. Am still learning about hammocking

Even if it does come with a ridgeline, you may want to change it up. Derek has a great post on creating a continuous ridgeline. I did mine with braided mason line from Home Depot, and the Nite-Ize S-Biners from Wal-mart (look in the camping section). I also use the mason line for the guy tie-outs, since it's light, cheap, and visible. For minimalist investment, they held on to my Superfly in 40+mph storm winds on an exposed point, even with a stake that pulled out.

(Yes, I know I'm using ghetto line for a Warbonnet Superfly, and feel free to give me the what-all about it)

I did need to really wrap the prussik knot to have it hold on the braided mason - I think it was about 8 loops around until I achieved a solid lock. Also, I use two pieces of hollowed-out paracord on the ridgeline to protect the trees and enable adjustment (I put the paracord on the back of the trees, which is the place I see the most tension on the bark).
    Last edited by ManBehindThePlan; 08-14-2015 at 10:36.

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Eno profly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    so the mason line held up really good in the wind?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashhang View Post
    so the mason line held up really good in the wind?
    I think it has a 30 lb. breaking strength, and is nylon, so I wouldn't expect too much in the wind.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Eno profly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I ended up getting a profly yesterday at REi. It did very well in are lovely Florida afternoon downpours.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast