Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is a Hammock right for me?

I've been debating purchasing a Hammock and accessories for an upcoming yearly hunting trip. I do hike/camp occasionally throughout the year as well.

My concern is that I am a very restless sleeper, even at home under 'perfect' circumstances. I normally sleep on my side, and always swap back and forth between each side many times throughout the night. I rarely sleep more than a couple hours at a time (usually less) before I 'flip' to the other side.

Does a hammock make this any better or worse? I don't expect to sleep better, but if the constant movement is (for lack of a better word) bad, maybe I should stay in a tent?

If not, any hammocks you would recommend specifically for week long hunting trips in weather that averages 50's - 60's daytime and 25-35 at night? I am 6'0", 235lbs. I was eyeballing a WarBonnett Blackbird not knowing which types might be best for me, along with a decent tarp that provides good 'end' coverage for moderate winds and rain in the fall here in Colorado. I would probably start with a 3/8" or 1/2" foam as mentioned here regularly purchased online, maybe 30" wide. I'm not overly concerned with weight, as long as I drop down from my current 10lb 2man 4 season tent.

This year, I'll be up around 10,000 - 12,000 feet in Southwestern Colorado.

Thanks!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I'm fairly similar in that I tend to rotisserie through the night. That does not always change in a hammock from at home. I get "tired" of sleeping on one side and switch to the other after a while. The difference going to the hammock from home or the ground is the quality of sleep I get while I am out. It's immeasurably better in the hammock. I have had nights where I was only able to get a couple hours of sleep. In a hammock with even just 2-3 hours rest I am well rested and ready to go again for the next day. In my bed at home there is no amount of sleep that feels like enough. On the ground I was not able to sleep at all and tossed and turned constantly.

There have been nights when everything worked perfect though in the hammock and I slept strait though for 8-10 hours and woke feeling the most relaxed and refreshed that I can recall. Quality of sleep is the big thing for me and what has keep me sleeping in a hammock every chance I get. When my wife is away I hang a hammock for the night at home.

Moving around in your hammock is not a bid thing...it can actually get it swinging a bit and many of us love that...gently rocks you to sleep. And you may find that you will have a better nights sleep in a hammock so that you move less than at home.

As to hammocks there are lots of good options available. Closed cell foam will help but keep in mind that when your on a pad your need really feeling the full comfort of the hammock. An Underquilt will change that and let you really feel how the hammock cradles you. The hammock is less of a factor in the temps you're considering than the insulation be it a pad or quilt.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like you should skip the hammock - it takes some practice to get it right. If you're a restless sleeper you'll probably just blame it on the hammock and go back to the ground. And if you're considering pads instead of an UQ, that will give you just one more thing to blame - pads aren't the most comfy thing, especially in a single-layer hammock.

Personally, I don't think it matters if you're a restless sleeper - you just have to commit to getting off the ground, which it doesn't sound like you're willing to do at this time.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am restless in my bed at home but sleep like a mummy in a hammock.
    Normally I sleep 5 to 6 hours at home but in my hammock on a backpacking trip I regularly sleep 10 to 12 hours. Really!
    Worth a try say I.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    If you like to toss and turn I would stay away from netted hammocks or hammocks with a dedicated left or right lay.
    Standard open hammock usually allow you to lay left or right and either end can be the head end.
    If you are ever up in the Littleton CO area I have many hammocks you are welcome to checkout.
    hth

Here are a few in my collection:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57632322638444

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    Get an inexpensive hammock or DIY, hang at home inside so temp is not an issue, and see how that goes. Cheap and easy to test it out IMHO.

If you find you sleep well in the hammock, then it is just a matter of insulation. I plan to convert mine to a double layer because the pad inside does NOT work for me, and I am not ready to make the leap to UQ just yet. I have the material and it is a DIY hammock, so adding a layer is not a big deal. If purchasing, you might consider a double layer to begin with...

It did take me a few nights to get into the rhythm of what worked for me, and to get over the newness of the hammock. Definitely have to do that at home, not on the trail. I am a bigger guy than you, and I was afraid of damaging the hammock or suspension if I moved much. With plenty of nights in it now, that is not a concern. I roll over and adjust and the hammock is strong as ever. I do avoid 'plopping' in it, or swinging TOO much.

Quote Originally Posted by Twokag View Post
    Get an inexpensive hammock or DIY, hang at home inside so temp is not an issue, and see how that goes. Cheap and easy to test it out IMHO.

If you find you sleep well in the hammock, then it is just a matter of insulation. I plan to convert mine to a double layer because the pad inside does NOT work for me, and I am not ready to make the leap to UQ just yet. I have the material and it is a DIY hammock, so adding a layer is not a big deal. If purchasing, you might consider a double layer to begin with...

It did take me a few nights to get into the rhythm of what worked for me, and to get over the newness of the hammock. Definitely have to do that at home, not on the trail. I am a bigger guy than you, and I was afraid of damaging the hammock or suspension if I moved much. With plenty of nights in it now, that is not a concern. I roll over and adjust and the hammock is strong as ever. I do avoid 'plopping' in it, or swinging TOO much.
    This is probably the best thing to do. I do have time to pick something up, try it out a few weeks, and make up my mind. It's not that I mind spending the money, I just want to buy "right" the first time. I've really heard great things about hammocks, and like the ability to pitch regardless of available decent or level ground (nothing but trees where I usually am). I was going to take the 'easy' way out and buy a new ultralight tent or tarp/net tent combo, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking a better solution, especially given the terrain I usually hunt in.

Open for any additional feedback, and really appreciate the response.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think some of the others here make a good point - make, borrow, or buy an inexpensive hammock and try sleeping in it somewhere warmer (!!) than your anticipated camping trip. If you can find that you can sleep in it comfortably, then move on to insulation, as that's where you're going to be making an investment. If you really move around a LOT, a foam pad is going to be a real problem, as it tends to not really stay in place when you move around. Additionally, if you're switching from a right lay to a left lay the foam pad won't follow you.

Finally, someone of your size (height/width) will be touching the hammock beyond the pad, which means that you'll be compressing your sleeping bag where your arms and shoulders are above the pad, resulting in cold spots. I'm 5'10", 180 lbs and I have that issue myself - I'll wake up in the middle of the night with really cold shoulders and sides.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    New River UQ, SBag
    Suspension
    Strap and buckles
    I'm moderately sleep-restless and a new hammocker. While the suggestion to get something inexpensive as a trial is pragmatic, my own experience was that had I used ENO DN trial run to determine my hammocking future, I would have quit right there. Despite having read up pretty well and using the hanging app and trying different trees and distances and sag angles, I could not achieve anything close to comfort in the ENO: the sides were always tight, and no matter how high I put the straps on the trees the hammock would hit the ground when I sat in it. I decided to go with a structural ridgeline and ordered a Blackbird. Whether this was the big difference or the material or what we will never know, but I was able to get it situated in less than ten minutes and taking my first hammock nap in fifteen. My first 6-day camping trip was a sleep success.

My other limited-experience observations: A lot of restless mattressers report that they toss and turn less in the hammock. I am one of them; I often woke up in the same position I had fallen asleep in hours earlier. My analysis is that due to more even weight distribution, pressure (discomfort) points are minimized. Your mileage may vary, but turning over and changing position is not a big deal for me at all. Sometimes I would turn just to make the hammock sway.

I tried slipping a fleece blanket between my layers one night. Hated it. Just based on that, I can't imagine that I'd like a CCF pad. This is definitely something you'll want to try out before your trip, as those temps will require good insulation.

Good luck!
    Pas de victoire sans la guerre.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Everyone is different and there is no way to know until you try. By everything youve said there is nothing that would make a hammock wrong for you. Going straight away with a quality hammock, like the WBBB, is a good idea if your budget allows it. If you decide after giving it a fair shake its not for you they hold their value extremely well and you can likely find a buyer within hours for not much less than you paid for it. If you are going to use a pad for bottom insulation, get a double layer. If the budget allows, just go straight for an underquilt. Synthetic quilts might be better for your intended use considering ultralight isnt your #1 priority. It will still insulate when if damp and will cost less.

Jon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast