Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies

What to use if tarp is missing D rings?

I recently picked up a lightly used tarp, then picked up a ridgeline from Dutch with Tato connectors. Pulled everything out and realized I was missing the D rings. I was thinking about just adding a key ring on each end, but im not sure if that will end up ripping or wearing out the loops quicker. Right now im running little s biners so I can actually use the tarp, but was hoping there might be something better out there that I could pick up and work with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I don't use anything except the tieout itself. I think the only reason for those rings is to make a breaking point that will fail before the tarp.

A lot of people use split rings, especially since they are so easy to get on.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbcrocks View Post
    I don't use anything except the tieout itself. I think the only reason for those rings is to make a breaking point that will fail before the tarp.

Well If I can get the Tato's through the loop, that is definitely the cheapest route to go. I guess as long as im careful it shouldnt put too much wear on them. I'll look into the split rings, I just wouldnt want them to come undone while the tarp is in use.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    If you are worried about wear on the tarp itself, you could always just make a loop out of whatever guyline cord you have on hand. You probably don't need to do any fancy buries or splicing, unless you want to. Taking 7-8" of line and tying the ends together with a double fisherman's bend with the line through the tie out would likely be plenty. This might be an easier connection for the tato's, and it will help a bit to protect the tarp itself.

Let us know what you come up with!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    ^^^ This sounds like the lightest and least amount of wear ^^^ I knew if I asked I'd end up with the correct answer around here. I appreciate all the info I get and read on this site. I'll make the loops tonight when I have a few free minutes and see how they work out tomorrow morning.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbcrocks View Post

This ^^^ I recently managed to break a beastie D on my tarp rl and had that brief moment of panic, luckily it was just the D Ring so I just clipped the suspension into the tie out itself. I still have one failure point (D ring on the other side). I don't bother with D rings on the tie outs anymore.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i like the idea that a d ring is going to fail before my tie-outs or tarp itself. i just have shock cord loops right now, but i've been thinking about larks heading some cheapy d rings cannibalized from something else that has less priority just to have that plastic that snaps instead of a tear somewhere. better to replace those for whatever bags of ten for 3 bucks than to have to duct tape the tarp.
    Last edited by Theguywitheyebrows; 08-07-2015 at 10:25. Reason: spelling
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Images
    If you like the idea of keeping the webbing loops from being drawn up in a larks head configuration (which is certainly the lightest option), there is another route that you might consider.

Easton ST Axis Nano arrows can be had in Carbon and the Outside Diameter is 0.258 or just slightly larger than a 1/4". Most archery clubs or shooting locations will have something suitable that has been cut (different arm lengths dictate different arrow lengths), the leftover tubing is generally thrown away.

Cut those leftover carbon tubes slightly longer than the webbing width, a 1-inch tube of 0.258 Outside Diameter Carbon Arrow tube will weight 14.275 grams

Use small diameter Dyneema Braid Fishing line for tie outs.

Very light weight, and the carbon tube is left centered in the web loop by the line running through the carbon tube. Holds knots well, I would suggest using a Double Half-hitch Taut Line.

Just another option.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft gathered end
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Diy quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and 'slings
    Just modded my tarp to have shock cord loops to connect the tato connectors to, as I only had grommets. A larks headed loop of shock cord through a tie-out will give you a little bit of extra self tensioning as well.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I ended up just tying line directly to small key rings, its holding well without issues. I wasn't really thinking that would work since I see most people using the d ring. But its really the same thing, just not plastic.

• + New Posts