Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I currently use my 0f UQ year round and just change out my TQ. I plan to eventually build a 40f UQ for summer use, but it's a significant time investment to save about 12oz. I have better ways of saving that weight still.

That said, in your situation I would go with a 20 degree quilt. You can extend its range with a down beanie, down booties, a down/fleece jacket, and gloves; if you're camping below 20 degrees you're likely to have most of those items for use in the day anyway.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I had HG make me a 10° Incubator after going back and forth between 20° and 0°. I am very happy with my decision.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    I had HG make me a 10° Incubator after going back and forth between 20° and 0°. I am very happy with my decision.
    Likewise, bought a 20° and added a couple oz of overstuff just to extend the range a bit. As others have said, just plan on venting in warmer weather and adjusting your TQ / top insulation. It seems to me like 20° is the sweet spot for both quilts, unless money is no object.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    Likewise, bought a 20° and added a couple oz of overstuff just to extend the range a bit. As others have said, just plan on venting in warmer weather and adjusting your TQ / top insulation. It seems to me like 20° is the sweet spot for both quilts, unless money is no object.
    Yeah, I really like mine. I have only had it down to about 30° but was PLENTY warm. I cant wait for this winter to see how low I can go!

When you order, just tell Adam that you want a 20° with 2-3oz of over-stuff built to 10° specs. Then they will build in taller baffles to accommodate the over-stuff to prevent any unwanted compression.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

thanks to everyone for offering up your thoughts. There's a lot for me to consider here. I knew this was the rite place to get some opinions on the matter...

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ mostly
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    20 UQ can get you pretty low especially a full size incubator. Had my Yeti below 30 and was more than comfortable.

My main concern is room in my pack I don't need the quilts taking all the space.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Another vote for a 20* underquilt. That will cover all your bases from mid-teens (with clothing and/or pad supplements) to mid 70s. You really almost never need to vent a 20* underquilt. I only do occassionally nearing 70. Nearly all of your venting comes in how you wear your top quilt... fully cinched, drawstring open, brought up only to armits, kicked loose on top, etc. If you're really honest with yourself and think about your bottom limit, and if packability is a big concern, you might even consider a 30* or even 40* underquilt, keeping in mind a 20* quilt has more range. For what it's worth, I'll also add that unlike alot of cheap sleeping bags, the cottage vendors's quilt ratings seem pretty accurate on the bottom end.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    Afaik, there's a difference between a 10° underquilt and a 20° overstuffed underquilt: the 10° has taller baffles, which lets the down expand and do their job and gives you a better performance for the same weight.

I would go with one of two solutions:

1. Get a custom 10° underquilt.
    2. Get a 20° underquilt and use an UQP or sock when I'm getting close to the limit.

I own both a 20° and a 0° Incubator, but only ever use the 20° - if necessary with UQP/sock. I see a 10° uq in my future, though.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock ultralight zip
    Tarp
    Camo 11x8.5 Cuben
    Insulation
    KCHO 3/4 UQ
    I personly use a 20 f topquilt and a 20 f 3/4 lenth underquilt in 40-50 f temps and im not to hot, but it also works down to the 20's too wearing plenty of warm clothes, and im a cold sleeper, but as everyone is saying a 20 f is a good all rounder and also not too heavy, i think it all depends and are you a very cold sleeper and or is someone else carrying you backpack for you? in that case get a 0 f :-)

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I received a courier package yesterday - an incubator 20° UQ.
    It seems a pretty good size & weight vs insulation/warmth and I don't think I've ever camped in temperatures below 20°.
    Where I live it doesn't go colder than that and I'm not likely to travel anywhere colder in mid-winter.
    I'm not really seeing a good reason to buy a 0° UQ if you never camp below 20°, unless a company isn't realistic with their ratings it shouldn't be necessary to second guess them and buy a quilt rated for lower than you need.

I do have a poncho liner that I've made into an under quilt (PLUQ) which might be a good choice for summer camping, but I've got a winter trip coming up where I'll be taking my new incubator UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast