DH Dangerbird DL HyperD XL 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ20/zep20
    Suspension
    Straps/DW tiCinch

Model hammock camping legislation

I am relatively new to the forum but I have taken a liking to hammock camping and have been very active in the outdoors since I was a toddler. I love the fifty state project that hammock forums has put together. I find it a tragedy that some states have banned hammock camping.

I am an attorney by day and a weekend warrior outdoorsman as often as I can. I live in Ohio which appears to be from all of my research a hammock friendly state. But it is scary to think that that could change at anytime or vary from situation to situation.

Can anyone tell me if anyone on this site has considered or created some model legislation that we could use to advocate our position. It seems like this would be a great place to put together something to give to politicians and policy makers to help keep them from doing the wrong thing when it comes to hammocks.

I know it sounds crazy, but what about licensing hangers? Parks are always the first to get screwed in budget cuts and are constantly looking for new sources of money. I know it's not popular to charge for stuff we already do for free but it's often the only way to get the right people to even listen. Maybe use fishing licenses as a model. It would certainly force people to be aware of the right and wrong ways of doing things.

It seems nuts that we would have to advocate for zero trace camping, especially when places are being destroyed left and right (Kinzua anyone?) with fracking in my neck of the woods. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but with the way hammock camping is catching on its only a matter of time before the inevitable regulations.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ potomac
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    That's an interesting thought, however it also makes me think that if you start talking legislation, you might inspire more states to ban it. Then I will end up being an "Outlaw Hanger". At least there's plenty of DIY guys that can use their thread injectors to make us all biker vests!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Yah. A license to camp in the woods. That's what we need.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ20/zep20
    Suspension
    Straps/DW tiCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarrkills View Post
    That's an interesting thought, however it also makes me think that if you start talking legislation, you might inspire more states to ban it. Then I will end up being an "Outlaw Hanger". At least there's plenty of DIY guys that can use their thread injectors to make us all biker vests!
    I am definitely of the opinion if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But usually by the time this stuff comes up its too late or just a mad scramble to figure out support/plans and by then it's almost too late. Better to have it in your back pocket should the situation arise or even use it in those states that have already banned the practice to "test the waters" so to speak.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ20/zep20
    Suspension
    Straps/DW tiCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Yah. A license to camp in the woods. That's what we need.
    Like is said, not popular. I don't like paying to fish or hunt either, or for access to parks, or for a drivers license. I think different states have different ideas concerning conservation. It's certainly not a one size fits all thing. I appreciate the feedback though. I guess the point was to be prepared with ideas.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarrkills View Post
    You're only considered a 1%er if you have the three patches in play.

I see the OPs point and applaud the passion and the forward thinking. In states where it has already meet an early demise it seems to have done so through the lack of understanding or knowledge of the hammock process and best practices. While I think legislation will help ultimately; I can not help but believe that only through gaining access to and the ear of the powers that be in a given state office and educating them properly to a sympathetic mindset will we ever gain any ground in those states or any other. As they say, a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. Some powers know what they know and believe what they believe, even if it is completely uninformed and completely inaccurate. The pride of politics.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ20/zep20
    Suspension
    Straps/DW tiCinch
    After looking at the 50 state project, it is clear that certain best practices can be gleaned from that information (strap size, placement, tree size/type, length of time, etc.) I think a good start would be to amass a best practices list to consolidate view points, maybe a sticky for those "ears" who are pointed to this site. As the site is now, the info is there, it's just all over the place. Maybe have some arborist opinion links. Who do I need to talk to in terms of moderator to make this happen (or has it already happened?) I am positive a best practices list would be useful at some point.
    Last edited by jdonuts; 08-04-2015 at 08:52. Reason: atrocious grammar

Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nests
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    which states are anti-hammock?
    God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools. --John Muir

Hammock
    SL tree runner and dutch netless
    Tarp
    SL Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG /SL under/over
    Suspension
    Rap rings/straps
    And here I thought hammocking was only banned in some state and most national parks. Are hammocks being banned in wilderness areas? BLM lands? Yikes I have been caught flat-footed. I may become a stealth-hanger. A health-stanger. Whatev...

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    I would not pay any fees for camping in a hammock. I am trying generally stay away from every fee which is charged not for an actual service, but just because "we need money". I am very upset that most state forest in Wisconsin prohibit camping anywhere but the designated (and therefore overcrowded) campsites and then want to charge me a fee for the campsite and a fee for its reservation. But at least, we have a couple of federal forests. And toughness of the law is usually compensated by lack of its enforcement.

So, if you want to start a national campaign, I would seek to be inclusive all kinds of outdoorsmen and ask for "Freedom to Roam" kind of thing (as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam)...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast