Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Any of the cottage vendors can supply you with what you are looking for. Simply Light Designs is not on the vendor list for some inexplicable reason, but Jared is really fast and can get you what you want.

Images
    I'm in the same boat. Just starting to get into it. I'm taking my time, watching all the videos I can find, reading through tons of info, and asking questions about the stuff I can't figure out.

I wanted to buy a hammock right away but decided to mess around with the cheap one I have and use the time to make an informed decision on what I want.

I had to do something so I did a DIY turtledog variant stand... well, started it but still need to put some final touches on it. I had my Himal single hanging the night before last and want to try my daughters ENO DN on the stand, hers is longer and wider.

I already know the single (it's actually a little wider than a normal single) isn't going to cut it just from laying in it for about 45 minutes. I was really just testing out the stand but the wife and girls went back in the house so I just spend some time relaxing before cleaning things up for the night. I'm 6'-2" and around 220lbs.

If you have the opportunity to "test" out some/any type of hammock it might help.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I can see where the whole hammock thing can be pretty overwhelming for new guy---------there is sooo much info to take in! So, here's my 2 cents-------------I'm 6'4", 235 with broad shoulders. I have owned a Hennesy explorer, a Speer custom made to my size, several diy tablecloth hammocks and tried a Clark jungle hammock. At my size and with my body, none of them were very comfortable. (calf ridge etc---I could never get a flat lay no matter what I did) Several years ago I made a bridge hammock and have since bought 2 warbonnet ridge runners--------its just about perfect for me! Its such a personal thing---every one is different. To get your feet wet, I would probably take everyones advice and try a dutchware hammock. (just realize that you will be buying alot more before you find the perfect hammock for you!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
    ok kammok is out. thank you!!! as far as tarp and bug net thats down the road. ive read that longer is better. so if i get the 11foot dutch hammock is that going to limit my options down the road?
    There's three things that have to be addressed if you want to enjoy hammocking: staying dry, staying warm, and staying bug-free. I'm not sure I understand why you're not interested in those three things. At the very least you should look into a Wally World blue tarp and ccf pad - they're cheap and will work for now.

Almost all tarps nowadays are at least 11 ft. long, which will work with 11 ft. hammocks if you have a ridgeline set to approx. 83% of the hammock length (some people don't use ridgelines, but I don't get that - they mean a lot to me in keeping dry).

Dutch usually lists the weight-bearing capacity of the hammocks (and most vendors do). He's behind on listing the weight-bearing capacity of Hexon 2.4, Hexon 1.9, and Dobby 1.9, though you can probably find an announcement from Dutch on the forums.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/11-ft.-...-hammocks.html
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

the reason i say down the road is because at the moment im not leaving my tent behind just yet. the next float trip im going on in a couple weeks, im thinking about hanging it up and maybe just easing into it. if it rains ive got my tent or car. if bugs are too thick ive got my car tent or more bug spray. but i do thank you for making sure that i dont overlook the importance of the extra gear besides just the hammock. great replies from everyone and i am grateful. ive got more looking to do before i buy now.

is the Dual Knotty Mod worth it?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    if it rains ive got my tent or car. if bugs are too thick ive got my car tent or more bug spray.
    Keep in mind that nylon and DEET don't get along - DEET will eat nylon.

is the Dual Knotty Mod worth it?
    Some folks like the Knotty mod, though I think it is more popular for folks who have extra-wide hammocks.

looking at the 11' in hexon 2.4. also still looking at other options

also finding that even to sit on it together, both me and the wife need to loose some weight to meet limitations.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    looking at the 11' in hexon 2.4. also still looking at other options

also finding that even to sit on it together, both me and the wife need to loose some weight to meet limitations.
    Keep in mind that zero cottage vendors sell hammocks for two. Only ENO and a couple of other big-box vendors market hammocks as a viable sleep system for two people. You'll read very few success stories on HF, because it's basically a myth. Most people last about 20 minutes together in a hammock before they're uncomfortable. Therefore, it doesn't make a lot of sense to look for a hammock to support the weight of two people.

Clark makes a two-person hammock (though you need three trees). At $599, it's certainly not cheap. However, you'll probably actually be able to sleep together in it, rather than just getting a bunch of marketing thrown at you.

ha and in all the pictures online the couples look so happy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast