SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Snugpak Allweather
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Simply Light Design Trail Lair

After searching for more than a year for my “custom ultimate hammock” I decided on the Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. Already owning the SLD Simplicity Aysm Hammock Tarp, I knew it would have the quality I wanted. After a few emails discussing the options I wanted I finally pulled the trigger on a completely tricked out version. It is eleven foot, grey, double layer, 1.6 oz ripstop nylon with dual zippers and retractable bug net. I went with removable Amsteel continuous loops in the channel ends and an Amsteel fixed ridgeline. Other add-ons include a zippered shoulder pocket and four tie outs at knees and shoulders. The Trail Lair comes standard with a double ended Silnylon stuff sack.
    The first thing I have say is Jared is amazing. I ordered the Trail Lair on a Thursday and received it in Florida on the following Wednesday. That is what customer service is all about! Unfortunately, it took a couple months before I was able to hang it, due to my work, but it was everything I expected.
    My first hang was a seven nighter in Indiana. As it happens, it rained constantly. Humidity was off the scale and the mosquitoes were relentless. Other than those few issues it was a good time with nightly temps in the low 60’s.
    My set up was pretty standard. For the first time I used Dutchware Cinch Buckle suspension with 15 foot straps and Sew-on Dutch Clips. I now see why cinch buckles are so popular. In between the double layers I put a generic self-inflating sleeping pad rather than using my underquilt. On top I used a SnugPak Jungle Blanket with snaps a draw cord added to form a footbox. This sleeping setup was perfect for all but one of the nights; another victim of CBS.
    The Trail Lair is everything I wanted and more. It is a big and roomy hammock with Double Rolled & sewn hem edges and sewn end channels. The stitching clean, neat and durable. The open double layer allows for easy pad placement. The dual #3 YKK zippers are heavy duty and allow for access from either side. The 12”x8” No-See-Um zippered shoulder pocket is conveniently located for storage.
    The .9 oz No-See-Um Netting is durable and offers great visibility. The bug net fully retracts and fits in the included mesh bag. There is a clip at the head end to store it, when retracted. It is also convenient for hanging the Simply Light Design Zip-it Peak Bag.
    The Trail Lair packs nicely in the double ended Silnylon stuff sack with ample room for the Zip-It Peak Bag and ridgeline organizer.
    Overall, the Trail Lair is everything I was looking for. With the great quality craftsmanship and customer service that I have come to know, Simply Light Designs has truly created my “Ultimate Hammock.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Nice review! Love his work too
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Thanks for the nice writeup on Jared's work. My 10 foot Trail Lair is my go to hammock for bug season, plus I've got 3 of his tarps, a Streamliner hammock, plus a bunch of his other gear. How's the asym tarp working out for you? I've had mine in light rain pitched low, but haven't braved a heavy downpour in it yet.

Hammock
    WBB DL , SLD Trail Lair DL
    Tarp
    Shangri La , Wb SF
    Insulation
    AHE,LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Jared's work is top notch;just got another Trail Lair in the mail last week;thanks to rand727 great and well deserving review.

• + New Posts