Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultralight Tarp - Comparing to Tadpole

I own the Tadpole but its not long enough for my most recent hammock.

Can you guys suggest a tarp that is as lightweight and easy to pack and as good of quality as the Tadpole tarp - but something a few feet longer? I probably need 2-3 feet on each end beyond the 11ft/132inches.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The lightest weight tarp you are going to find is cuben fiber. You can get them from Hammock Gear or Zpacks, but it will take probably 6-8 weeks due to a cuben fiber shortage.

That having been said, if your tarp is very much longer than your hammock, your tarp will get in the way of your hammock suspension unless you hang your tarp REALLY high. Even a 12' tarp with an 11' hammock is getting close to causing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    The lightest weight tarp you are going to find is cuben fiber. You can get them from Hammock Gear or Zpacks, but it will take probably 6-8 weeks due to a cuben fiber shortage.

That having been said, if your tarp is very much longer than your hammock, your tarp will get in the way of your hammock suspension unless you hang your tarp REALLY high. Even a 12' tarp with an 11' hammock is getting close to causing problems.
    I see. Thank you.

I only need an extra 2 feet, I think, on each end. Is it OK that my hammock is poking slightly out on each side? See attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Unless you get rain blowing sideways, your setup as pictured will work fine.

Thank you, sir.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Eleven foot tarps are pretty common, though there is the occasional 12 footer out there. You would have to order a custom-length hammock if you're looking for a tarp with a 14 ft. ridgeline - they're just not sold.

It sure looks like you're using some kind of rope for your hammock suspension, and it appears you have no hammock ridgeline. The hammock ridgeline will shorten your hammock to approx. 83% of the hammock length, and decrease the need for a larger tarp. It will also give you a more consistent hang.

The rope needs a water break for you to stay dry.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Eleven foot tarps are pretty common, though there is the occasional 12 footer out there. You would have to order a custom-length hammock if you're looking for a tarp with a 14 ft. ridgeline - they're just not sold.

It sure looks like you're using some kind of rope for your hammock suspension, and it appears you have no hammock ridgeline. The hammock ridgeline will shorten your hammock to approx. 83% of the hammock length, and decrease the need for a larger tarp. It will also give you a more consistent hang.

The rope needs a water break for you to stay dry.
    Do you have a photo? I have the Mark2 under the Tadpole.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockLighter View Post
    I see. Thank you.

I only need an extra 2 feet, I think, on each end. Is it OK that my hammock is poking slightly out on each side? See attached
    Looking at your picture I think you will be fine. Should a storm blow in (every hammockers nightmare)
    you would lower your tarps RL closer to the hammock which will give you more coverage at the ends and side.

If you still feel exposed give 1 set of doors a try. 2QZQ offers an item called a Grizz Beak which is a temp door / vestibule. Very handy.

Last edited by OutandBack; 08-03-2015 at 12:17.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Looking at your picture I think you will be fine. Should a storm blow in (every hammockers nightmare)
    you would lower your tarps RL closer to the hammock which will give you more coverage and the ends and side.

If you still feel exposed give 1 set of doors a try. 2QZQ offers an item called a Grizz Beak which is a temp door / vestibule. Very handy.

Ahhhh, yes, I get it now. You're saying to lower the tarp so the hammock is less exposed. Will do.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockLighter View Post
    Do you have a photo? I have the Mark2 under the Tadpole.
    The Clark Mark2? I can't find any info on that hammock like the length, but I'll bet it's not very long. I also don't know of any tutorial on how to add a ridgeline to a Mark2, or to any Clark. Since the Mark2 is designed to go to the ground, and you have those poles to deal with, it is probably not viable to add a ridgeline anyway.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast