DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

My UL Weekend Hang

In February I rolled my truck on an icy bridge. It destroyed the truck and banged me up pretty good. Last week I was finally fixed up and so decided to take the weekend for an UL shake out hang.

My nephew has a ranch not far from here so that's where I went. Left at 5 on Friday.

The problem in this part of the world is finding trees for hanging but by 7 I had hacked out a spot between two mesquites and made a wood pile. There are a lot of dead branches from 5 years of drought, which is now broken:

IMG_3087.jpg

By 8 had a fire going and was cooking steak k-bobs:

IMG_3072.jpg

The Ti fire helper worked very well but its getting all sooty was a problem when it came time to pack up. Got to figure out a solution.

Temps Friday, 95 during the day and 72 that night with a breeze, very nice. Coyotes, two owls, various insects, frogs at the muddy pond, and a night jar sang me to sleep.

Saturday breakfast was coffee and oat meal. Lunch was this: 8 Triscuits fit perfectly in an Altoids tin so they don't get broken, four pieces of summer sausage, and some Gorganzola cheese:

IMG_3092.jpg

Had GORP for a snack at 4 and for supper at 8 a Mountain House FD chicken and potato meal that was very good. The Toaks 750 pot worked perfectly for all meals, just the right size, and design:

IMG_3074.jpg

Saturday reached 98 during the day, 74 at night, and fairly calm so it took a while to cool off in the hammock. A coyote came by for a chat but I don't speak that language so did not reply.

Here's my rouge's gallery of ridge line occupants (two lights, a pistol, glasses, bandana, and my ugly UL Kindle cover) (don't yet have a holder for my cell phone):

IMG_3093.jpg

Ran out of water. There is plenty on the property (three stock tanks (one spring fed) and a water trough filled by a windmill (the pipe was buried so could not get to fresh water)) but didn't want to fool with filtering or boiling so had barely enough for coffee this morning and came on home early. The heat requires a lot of water.

Sightings: a deer, four juvenile turkey, two chaparrals (heard their unique call for the first time), two covey of quail (one Bob White, one Blue), a lot of dove, and a horned lizard.

This was my West Texas version of the baked butt hang, mindful of our friends in much more miserable conditions this weekend in the Piney Woods.

IMG_3089.jpg
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm not sure a tin just for some triscuits qualifies as UL though

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm not sure a tin just for some triscuits qualifies as UL though
    Could sprinkle crumbs on sausage and cheese, I guess. ;-)
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    BTW, that Permethrin-soaked jute twine didn't work like I wanted. Dropped a piece of cheese on the ground cloth and within an hour there was a gang of ants on it.
    Mike

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Great report Mike.

I didn't know about the wreck. Glad you're back in the saddle again.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Great report Mike.

I didn't know about the wreck. Glad you're back in the saddle again.
    Thanks, brother.
    Mike

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Nice report Mike. My wife and I did a hang just north of you at Caprock SP this spring. West TX has alot of great places to get some fresh air.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    Nice report Mike. My wife and I did a hang just north of you at Caprock SP this spring. West TX has alot of great places to get some fresh air.
    Yes, near Turkey, home of Bob Wills, Texas Swing musician!

Of all the environments in which I've camped (Comanche County, South Texas, Gulf Coast (Texas and Florida), New Mexico, Southern Colorado, Kentucky, Virginia, Arkansas, Maine, Nova Scotia) West Texas is my least favorite.

But it is better to be out than under the constant drone of the AC all summer without a break!

The skies here in the evening and the sounds at night are amazing!

So good for the soul, if I may say so.
    Mike

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Wonderful report, I love the hot days and cool(to us) nights. It keeps most others out and more room for us crazies

In case you forgot or didn't know, a great way to cool off on those windless and warm nights is to use your bandana and give yourself a spongebath leaving yourself a little damp. The hammock will pull the moisture and heat off of you with convection and cool you off as good as a quick AC. Add the smallest breeze and you could even get a refreshingly slight body chill for a few moments.

Glad your better than February. Did this hang hit the spot or what?
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch & DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    H. Anchors, Straps
    Thanks for sharing. The scenery looks relaxing.
    Formerly known as - SloGo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast