DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    The brighter the better for me! I use orange Lawson Glowire atm and it's good stuff. Unless you leave your guylines behind you won't be leaving a trace A little bit of guyline isn't gonna make much difference to your visibility during the day, and I never see many people wandering around the woods at night. You should get the stuff that you like the look of the best imo.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Regardless of the set up if I have a tent or tarp set up the family will find a way to trip over them... reflective helps if they remember to turn on their head lamps but for most part the only way to keep them out of the tie outs is to build a fence. I typically just use reflective on the stakes because I lose them pretty easily. A quick survey with the headlamp and any stakes I forgot to pick up or pull glow just enough to spot.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    Outside of either hunting or a scenario where society has collapsed and staying hidden becomes a matter of survival, I will never understand the "blend in" philosophy.
    It is soothing for me to look around and see everything is natural tones, subdued, muted. I hit the woods to relax. Bright colors in the woods are as jarring to me as rap music... sets my teeth on edge. I'll never understand the bright colors in the woods philosophy. Happy Trails y'all!!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Outside of either hunting or a scenario where society has collapsed and staying hidden becomes a matter of survival, I will never understand the "blend in" philosophy.
    I stealth occasionally.

Outside of that I prefer not to detract from others' experiences in the woods. Staying low-key affords you a better opportunity to come close to wildlife too. I think it is cool when turkeys and deer make their way close to my hanging spot.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Duuuude... Really? How much of a collapse need it be, before mindless, stumbling humanity becomes THE pest to be avoided? I'd say we're that collapsed already. I'm not out to meet the fine folk I'm getting away from, when I'm out there getting away from them. This calls for some high-concept/low-tech avoidance. I've plenty enough experiences to convince me of it. Owing to my adherence to this policy, I've been missed and passed over by uncountable persons who would've been nothing more to me than just more of what I'm out getting away from. -Maybe it's just my special luck, or maybe it's just due to the total time I spend outdoors, but, I've a few occasions wherein I'd been in my hang, while police, concerned family, park rangers, etc. were out calling and searching for a missing someone; looking for a rogue bear; and so on. -I been passed right nearby of, by libidinous couples looking for a suitable spot to demonstrate their affections. -I been passed right nearby to, by a Marijuana Eradication Team (With dogs!) on their way to rip out a few plants on a hillside just above my hang, and they even had chopper spotters (Ridiculous!). -Adventurous fly fishermen, cutting it short to another hot riffle 'round the bend of a river, have soft-shoed it right up on my hang and passed me right on by. -More than 5times, I been come right up on by those sneaky metal detector enthusiasts. -Then, naturally, a few elk hunters have come near to poking through the thick-'n-dark to visit me in my hammock, while I been gnawing some cold meat breakfast and sipping cold coffee. Seems elk hunters are the folks most likely to discover me, and probably it WILL be an elk hunter is first to do it. They just start sharper and try harder, and they got no scruples opposing them to bellying through any kind of thorny, snaky evil. All that (and SO much more) has been neatly avoided me, by a simple policy of thoughtful avoidance; and this, in the country where I am a native son. So, color me drab, and color me glad.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    ... Outside of that I prefer not to detract from others' experiences in the woods. Staying low-key affords you a better opportunity to come close to wildlife too. I think it is cool when turkeys and deer make their way close to my hanging spot.
    Precisely, and precisely again!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It is soothing for me to look around and see everything is natural tones, subdued, muted. I hit the woods to relax. Bright colors in the woods are as jarring to me as rap music... sets my teeth on edge. I'll never understand the bright colors in the woods philosophy. Happy Trails y'all!!
    Down here in Texas we have Green Jays, Hogs and Javalina... none of which are subdued or muted. Then again...we are camo-clad

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Learned something new, I had to look up what a Javalina is, knew nothing about them. I do not think they were in Texas when we lived there.

I use reflective lines when I am not concerned about being observed. I carry non reflective line so if I want to be invisible I am able.

We have so much drab stuff here, most of us wear muted clothing, sometimes I just have to break out and be different. I have my "I do not want to be discovered" gear and my "I need happy color" gear. One really odd color I found that blends well with Western Oregon is Olive Yellow, I bought single yard lengths of some fabric I liked, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Olive Yellow blended in, significantly better than my camo.

Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Webbing
    When camping with a bunch of scout age kids with tents all around, reflective all the way!
    You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give. -Winston Churchill
    Scouting is inTents! - 1st Blackburn Scout Leader

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie8 View Post
    I know the leave no trace theory, looks like you should blend in
    How does that work?
    Surely leave no trace means that after you have gone there is no trace you were there, what does that have to do with how visible your guy lines were before you left?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast