DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I'll suggest the Hammeck stand as well. It's built amazingly well, collapsible and with an extension accommodate just about any hammock, including a bridge. Even without the extension, an 11 footer works just fine.
    I have the "400" series and it disassembles and assembles very quickly and their customer service is top notch.
    Ultimately the better quality and craftsmanship are worth well worth spending a little more than some diy projects that I looked over.

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger 11'
    Tarp
    Monster Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ/LocoLibre UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    One more vote the Hammeck stand if budget will allow. I spend a lot of time in the Mojave where trees are few and way too far between. I had used various methods to hang which included hanging from fence corners and using climbing jam nuts to hang from rock formations. I recently purchased the stand from Hammeck and am sold. The workmanship is great as is the service. I can weld and before buying their stand I looked into buying the pipe and making something similar. It would cost more just for the materials not counting the powder coating. There engineering is far better than what I would have produced. It is nice to be able to have a secure hang anywhere now.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird DL HyperD XL 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ20/zep20
    Suspension
    Straps/DW tiCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by DC125 View Post
    http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/order

The stand without the hammock is £99.00 and you can carry it with you backpacking or with your car. Good for 10.5 foot length hammocks, but i've seen videos where you can go longer
    I saw this option but at a svelte 280lbs (but losing!) I don't want to push my luck given the weight limit. I like the turtle dog ideas. I'm going to check out the other referenced diys. Unfortunately permanent posts are probably out for my main location. I think my HOA would have an aneurysm. I must convert them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ20/zep20
    Suspension
    Straps/DW tiCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Do you want a stand for the backyard or would you prefer some solid posts and sleeves? I'm kicking around sinking a pair of 6x6 posts in the ground for a new hanging spot. I'll sink some 5' deep holes here in FL and concrete a sleeve of PVC pipe in the ground. When I'm finished, I'll place a 12" square paver over the top of the sleeve to keep someone from stepping in the hole over the unused months (mid summer here in FL). The poles get stashed in the shed/garage when not in use.
    Actually, this idea has some merit. I know a concrete guy who could probably make it, and make it mint, in a snap. Maybe he will have some ideas.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ20/zep20
    Suspension
    Straps/DW tiCinch
    Do you want a stand for the backyard or would you prefer some solid posts and sleeves? I'm kicking around sinking a pair of 6x6 posts in the ground for a new hanging spot. I'll sink some 5' deep holes here in FL and concrete a sleeve of PVC pipe in the ground. When I'm finished, I'll place a 12" square paver over the top of the sleeve to keep someone from stepping in the hole over the unused months (mid summer here in FL). The poles get stashed in the shed/garage when not in use.
    Given the forces involved in hanging do you think it needs to be 5 feet deep? Also, for anyone else, since this is semi permanent any thoughts on spacing to cover different length hammocks and preferred sags. 15' apart, 7' above ground?
    Last edited by jdonuts; 08-03-2015 at 18:12. Reason: Error

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Here in FL it's basically damp sugar sand. The soil doesn't exactly have much support for anything (homes are built on monolithic slabs instead of footings). I think the holes I dug were just shy of 5' so when using a 12' post I had 7' poking out of the ground. It's probably overkill but once it rained a few times the posts haven't budged.

Hammock
    BMBH/WB Traveler
    Tarp
    SF
    Insulation
    Down under&top
    One of my yard setups is 2 home depot chinese pressure treated (not the strongest lumber) 4x4's (8 footers) 15' apart 6 above ground. Holes are 26" deep 14" wide poured concrete with 4 vertical rebar set around the 4x4's. If I had it to do again I would prbly use cedar as the cost difference is not that much. I've been using this set-up for a number of years @ 245#. Soil is sandy lome & never felt insecure even when bouncing around. Caveat is this is straight in ground, but even using pvc sleeves so the poles are removable, 5' seems a bit much. Where I'm from you'd have to use dynamite to get to that depth Another idea would be using metal fence poles instead of the wood, which is reasonably priced. You may have to add some depth to the hole, maybe another foot if going that route and drill some holes for pins to secure lashings from slipping.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    11080014.jpg
    I would go with the Hammeck stand it can be already built or you can do some of it as a diy. Here it is with the Hammeck netty. The date on the pic is incorrect since they weren't even made then. This was just a couple of weeks ago at Watkins Glen State Park in NY.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    I really like this idea for the backyard! Did you put your sleeves in straight up and down or did you angle them away from each other sort of like a "Y" in case they started to lean together?

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    evidently it wasn't done since he is kicking around the idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast