Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    CCF+0*Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Cheapest Suspension

Hey guys,

So I am wanting to start making hammocks for people as presents for Birthdays and stuff. I think that they could be really great presents and a good way to get people into hammocks.

From looking through the hammock DIY section, making a cheap single layer hammock or a table cloth hammock seem to pretty affordable and easy to do.

My biggest problem is the price of the suspension. Most of the suspensions I see online would significantly increase the cost of my present. If fact quite a few would even double to cost.

I am not opposed to DIY suspensions, however I am wondering what are some of the cheapest options for suspensions that are still easy enough for a complete Noob to do.

Images
    How about that yellow hollow nylon line? it's easy to make loops with it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Amsteel is usually $0.25 per ft at most. You can go with zing it or lash it as well. 180ft of zing it goes for $25, which would probably be a lifetimes worth if you are only doing a few projects.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Well this can be a complex question.

I have a cheap suspension system I use, but you have to know how to tie a beckett hitch to use it. Probably not a great solution to get new users interested.

Amsteel loops with $6 cinch buckles to inexpensive polyester or polypro straps is a pretty inexpensive hardware solution, and easy for newbies. I make my own straps from bulk webbing by tieing a figure 8 in a bight on one end, but if you have a sewing machine you could sew a loop into the end.

You could make it as simple as long poly straps larksheaded to the hammock end, and show them how to tie the Speer hammock knot at the tree. No hardware, and you can get poly webbing fairly inexpensively it you buy enough.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I have given several hammocks as gifts. I typically larks head a continuous loop onto each end then include a pair of 10" tree straps and a pair of toggles. Black webbing is ~ $0.28/foot and toggles can be made out of anything. This is not only cheap but, trees straps and MSH are pretty easy to master.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Anniversary sale special on complet ready to use whoopie kits for $15.00 at Arrowhead. Hard to get DIY rigs made for that.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    How about that yellow hollow nylon line? it's easy to make loops with it.
    YUP ^^^
    Cheap to buy, very lightweight, and surprisingly durable. I've been using this on my primary camping hammock for over two years now and it's showing no signs of wear or deterioration. Neat thing is that you can splice it with your eyes closed, no tools required.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    1) Tree Straps - $4 - http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-...aps-67386.html

2) Continuous Loops w/cinch buckles - $11 - http://www.dutchwaregear.com/cinch-buckle.html

Total $19.00 + shipping

If your hammock is 10', 83% of that would be a RL of 8'3", if using 2' diameter trees that would use about 3' of the straps, and 6" less for the buckle would leave you 17' of straps between trees add the hammock and you could hang on trees 26' apart. Not that I would recommend that. But for larger trees you could use a dogbone to extend the tree end of the strap.

3) Dogbones/Strap extender - $5.25 - buy 25' amsteel and make your own.

As a bonus you get to play with rope splicing!
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

I would like to pose an additional question in regard to the cheap suspension. What would you propose for a cheap suspension for a kids hammock? My niece loved hanging in mine and now she wants one in pink. I just got a tablecloth hammock made and I noticed they have pink and she would love it. First thought is descender rings, tree straps with sewn loops, and continuous amsteel loops?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bbauer09 View Post
    Hey guys,

So I am wanting to start making hammocks for people as presents for Birthdays and stuff. I think that they could be really great presents and a good way to get people into hammocks.

From looking through the hammock DIY section, making a cheap single layer hammock or a table cloth hammock seem to pretty affordable and easy to do.

My biggest problem is the price of the suspension. Most of the suspensions I see online would significantly increase the cost of my present. If fact quite a few would even double to cost.

I am not opposed to DIY suspensions, however I am wondering what are some of the cheapest options for suspensions that are still easy enough for a complete Noob to do.
    The cheapest may not be the best to use. I use Walmart light duty cargo straps. They come in a pack of 2 straps 12' long each $5 each pack. Breaking strength is 500lbs with load limit 167lbs. I'm 200lbs, but I'm also carful not to overexert the hammock since the dynamic load is what increases the weight.

I rip the thread in the loop to remove the cam buckle and cut straps in half(6' straps), sew small loops in end and have 4 straps at almost 6' each for $5.

This is just what I use for about 5 years now on the original straps. ALWAYS, check your gear before AND after each use.

You can also just leave them at 12' length, sew loop in one side to connect to tree, and use a MSH when connecting to a Continuous Loop(CL) larksheaded to the hammock. This would be easy and inexpensive with any strap.

Quote Originally Posted by 8r1an View Post
    I would like to pose an additional question in regard to the cheap suspension. What would you propose for a cheap suspension for a kids hammock? My niece loved hanging in mine and now she wants one in pink. I just got a tablecloth hammock made and I noticed they have pink and she would love it. First thought is descender rings, tree straps with sewn loops, and continuous amsteel loops?
    The same system as I described above is what I use for my kids with 6' straps/Whoopies larksheaded to hammock. They are all less than 100lbs.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast