Hanging my Hammock

This will be my first time camping in a hammock, so I have a few questions about suspension and whatnot.

1. Is rope ideal for tieing around my anchor points, or should I be using some webbing? Is it stable just to go around once and clip a carabiner? Or would a tension less hitch work as well?

2. Can I use that rope as a ridge line straight across after that?

3. Would I be able to have a couple prusiks to clip to my hammock allowing me to easily adjust my tension?

I think that's all I have for now.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    First off...no do not use rope around an anchor point if that anchor point is a tree. Rope damages the tree and we are trying to make this a low impact part of the camping experience. No to mention, rope will likely not support you without breaking or stretching.

Now for the rest of it, please simply do some research. Hate to be a jerk here but the reason you are not getting responses is that there is already an absolutely endless amount of info on hammock suspension. Look at the stickies. Do a site search and go to arrowhead equipment or Dutch's website for very nice reasonably priced suspensions that are easy to use and set up.

If you like, PM me and I will be happy to give you further direction to find the info you seek.

That is all.

Oh I have, but I haven't really found answers that I am looking for. Plus I just don't have the time frame to order any specialty stuff, nor do I have time to go to the city with my work schedule. So I was hoping for just some answers this way. Thanks for the help though.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    As CampDavid mentioned don't use rope around trees. It can damage the inner layers showing no visible damage but having lasting damage deeper inside the tree. We all work to cause no damage so that we are not faced with restrictions on use and access.

Running a a line from one tree to another to hang off of is called a single line suspension. It puts a huge amount of stress on the suspension and trees. Many ropes will not be any where near strong enough and it's difficult to set up in a way that works...prussic a tend to not work great for most folks in this type of suspension.

Do do some searches for Single Line Suspension....you will find some results but it's a system used by less than 1 in 1000.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a thread on Single Line Suspension......https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...spension-(SLS)
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Lots of details in sticky topics of this forum on the different options. You may also want to go over to The Ultimate Hang for some high level summaries of options.

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/09/h...t-new-hangers/ and some of his other articles will give you enough information on choices. After choosing which you should read more on that platform here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is a thread on Single Line Suspension......https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...spension-(SLS)
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    This was actually the thread that give me my idea.

I'll hopefully be able to go pick up some webbing this week. My other brain child was to tie a few butterflies on each end so I could clip in, but tying a clove hitch around something seems to be easier to adjust.

Thanks for the input guys. I will try to update you next week with what I end up doing and how it worked.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    PLEASE at least get some webbing... The difficulty with using plain rope is the its cylindrical nature focuses all the force applied over the length of the rope to the tiny surface amount that is in contact with the tree and its bark.

Worst-case scenario:
    -buy some decent webbing and a pair of climbing carabiners and 40 feet of climbing rope
    -use a Larkshead knot [real simple] to attach a carabiner to one end
    -make series of simple 2-strand overhand knots 6 inches apart in a doubled length of climbing rope[ 20' to start]
    -use a larkshead with a toggle thru it to attach the doubled length of climbing rope to the running end of your tree strap
    -use a second carabiner at each end of your hammock that gets clipped through the appropriate overhand knot in the climbing rope.

This is essentially the same system Grand Trunk sends out on their units... heavy, but it will hold you up without harming the tree, OR chancing a drop to the ground. You may get some droop in the line from stretching, especially if the line gets wet.
    It's good for a starter kit, and it will probably convince you take the time to invest in a decent suspension system.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

• + New Posts