Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have two windshield reflector's from the Dollar tree ready, a huge piece of bubble wrap to make into test pad, a Gossamer gear pad ( just delivered today!), and another thin pad to cut down. Anxiously awaiting to get this and test, test, test! Its beginning to feel like fall in NW Pa. Excited am I!
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I should have them made and in the mail Friday!
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    I should have them made and in the mail Friday!
    Donna
    I am excited to see and test this.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    The test UQPs were mailed today.
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Donna
    You mean Padlocks right...
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

I'm very interested to see how these pan out. I have a lot of scouts who use pads but complain about their moving. With their limited budget this could be a Godsend.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Donna
    Well, I have had some time to test out the modified UQP Donna sent me...
    The UPQ construction is first rate. I went with the Argon fabric Dark Olive to match my HGUQ. The modifications were extending the ends a little with some additional modifications to the suspension and the cord channels on the sides. No need for a pocket or extra "holders" for the pads. This will allow for fitting many different pads without any need for customization. I fit the UQP to my hammock as instructed using the shockcord on the ends. It was long enough that I needed to connect the cord on my speed hooks. It works well here but would not work to attach where my UQ does. Tested first without the UQ and used a few different pads.

EVA foam pad 3/8" X 22" X 72" (purchased at a local retailer but similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Under...m+sleeping+pad) This pad fit the best. The UQP held the pad up tight to the hammock and the pad did not move once I got it into place. The pad was easily adjusted from inside the hammock by simply pushing down on the UQP a little to allow the pad to be moved. Once in place I let the UQP suck the pad up tight again to the hammock. I tested getting in and out from both sides with the pad laying in one asym direction. The pad stayed in place no mater which side I entered from.

EVA foam pad with water proof foil backing 1/2" X 20" X 72" (similar to http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RLHU230?psc=1) I tried this pad first with the foil side down against the UQP. This pad did move a little but not enough to bother. It was easily moved and stayed in place mostly once I stopped moving around in the hammock. Even simple movements like rolling from my side to back or back to side did not move the pad much. But entering and exiting the hammock would require minor adjustments. The pad moved less with the EVA side down against the UQP. However I would be concerned with moisture with the foil so close to my body. It also did not feel as warm right when you get in the hammock.

Closed-cell XPE foam pad 1/2" X 20" X 72" (similar to http://www.amazon.com/Trailside-Trai...m+sleeping+pad) This pad was very similar to the EVA with the foil side down. They both have a surface that is somewhat smoother or slippery.

I did not try my Klymit V2 or Mountain Gear style pad (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alp...processed=true) as these are for comfort in ground sleeping and do not offer much insulation. I find the EVA foam to be much better for insulation and comfort in a hammock not to mention cost and weight. IMO, Packing size is really the only benefit to these pads.

I also tested with the EVA Foam pad and HG Incubator together. The pad was between my hammock and the UQ with the UQP enclosing both. This too was not an issue. The pad is well supported by the UQ and the UPQ was large enough to cover both, holding them in place and still protecting the UQ.

Conclusion- 2QZQ modified UQP will perform great with the EVA style foam pad. It will work with various sizes without modification. Rounding the corners of the pad or shaping the pad may help with better forming to the hammock but that would be true in a double layer hammock set up too. This however is better for me than the double layer hammock because you are not sleeping on the pad but the pad is help up against you like with a regular UQ making it much more comfortable. You get the insulation and warmth of the pad without the feel of laying on the pad.

I would recommend this new modified UQP to anyone who uses a pad or to anyone who is looking for a less expensive option to bottom insulation. I would prefer this over a double layer with the pad inserted between the layers any day and the cost is about the same. As a UQP and pad holder this would be a year-round multi-use piece of equipment for any hanger.

Thanks, Donna for the opportunity to test this piece of gear for you.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Sashasrd...
    Thank you for the review! I will have Tim look at when he gets a chance to see if he has any questions. On thing...if I understand you correctly...you can shorten the length of the suspension shock cords by tying a knot anywhere to make it the length you need.
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    If anyone is interested in ordering these...please fill out the order form on our website, and let us know you want the pad style. The only fabric we will be offering this in will be the Argon 90 (all colors Dutch offers) and the Multicam. EDIT: I forgot to include the price. The price for this UQP will be the same as the standard UQPs made with the Argon and Multicam.

We will be putting these on the website as soon as Tim gets a chance...which might be awhile! Until then...just let us know in the comments box.

Thank you!
    Donna
    Last edited by 2Questions; 09-15-2015 at 06:20.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Sashasrd...
    Thank you for the review! I will have Tim look at when he gets a chance to see if he has any questions. On thing...if I understand you correctly...you can shorten the length of the suspension shock cords by tying a knot anywhere to make it the length you need.
    Donna
    Yes, I did shorten the shock cord and attached it to my hooks. I have a DIY hammock and the ridgeline is 93". The UQP was perfect on the hooks and about 12" of cord tied on each end. I hang my UQ from the ridgeline with Prussiks about 8-12" from the end of the hammock. This allows the UQ to hang right. The UQP was perfect and had the necessary length of Argon and shock cord to make it fit with the pad alone or with the UQ.
    Thanks again. Let me know if Tim has any questions.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast